Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork Cycle

• 09-10-2010 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭

Any one up on Getting a Sunday/Saturday Cycle going for any one who Cycles in Cork City.

Cork city, Innishannon, Kinsale, Belgooly, Carragline, Douglas and back to City ?

Dont know how much km is in it, avg Speed would like to be around 15-20km

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

I'll partake anyway - Just got a road bike (and it beats chasing around on a slick-tyred mountain bike).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Cool. I am hoping maybe in a week or two and get out every week, goal is getting people who are not in a club get the feeling of being in a group working together makes your cycling go faster and better,

i cycle on my own all the time and i find it quite hard some times with the wind making it harder etc,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

I'd be interested also although regularly staying sober on Saturday nights might be difficult.

LOL, if we get out Saturdays then that will give you quite a Taste for a Cold Beer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Yeah guys sounds good, i cover that route a lot on saturdays mostly solo and it's about 60 Km. Lets sort out meeting a point. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Does Next Saturday 10AM Sound Good for most people,

Off Anglesea Street. off the Guard barracks,

From their we have easy route to Link from that place.

South Link, turn off at the Douglas Rd. down to Carrigaline Road, down to the shannonpark around about turn off on the cork Road on to the Kilmoney Rd, all the way into Belgooly into Kinsale into Innishannon up onto the bandon Road to Home

Most people who are from the South side can just Turn home on the Wilton roundabout.

I found if we went other way around people who are not used to the Belgooly Carrigaline Route the hills are a Killer. so till fitness comes into play i think the this route would be more easy and fun for people.

other ideas are welcome, i'm just trying to set up a Group Cycle for the lads in Cork, if the lads up in Dublin are doing it why aren't we

Ok seems good, all aboard next sat, first of many hopefully!!

Just checking that we're still on for this. Time and meeting place?

I am hoping it still on, Either way i wont be able to make it i got my hands on some Tickets for the Game 2moro:D..

Unless people think Sundays are a better choice in days we could go out Sunday, But since your the only person that got back on about it i feel some how its not looking good.

Cork24 wrote: »
    I am hoping it still on, Either way i wont be able to make it i got my hands on some Tickets for the Game 2moro:D..

Sure why not cycle to it? 10AM Anglesea Street it is then :D
    Cork24 wrote: »
    Unless people think Sundays are a better choice in days we could go out Sunday, But since your the only person that got back on about it i feel some how its not looking good.
    Will probably be hungover. If Munster triumph will this not also affect your level of sobriety also?

• Advertisement

well i can make it tomorrow at 10 am, and forecast looks ok so time to decide folks

I'm happy with 2 but the more the merrier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

Would probably have joined ye if it was more 8.30/9 but 10 is just that bit too late for me, I've stuff to do in the afternoon unfortunately.

was hoping for at least 4 or five to make up a proper group, i see plenty of guys cycling solo around the belgooley, kinsale area so thought there would be greater interest!

was hoping for at least 4 or five to make up a proper group, i see plenty of guys cycling solo around the belgooley, kinsale area so thought there would be greater interest!

4/5 would be great but are you still up for it anyway? Just the two of us? Sounds very romantic I know but we can resist our urges and keep it purely platonic:D Hopefully there'll be more joining in for future weeks.

Btw, my fitness aint great at the moment. I'm kinda hoping my bike will do most of the work ;)

wont be hung Over, 5 euro a pint in a Plastic Cup isn't my Cup a Tea
    plus Driving up.

well i can make it tomorrow at 10 am, and forecast looks ok so time to decide folks

Hi funnights74,

I'm afraid that I'm gonna be a no-show for the Saturday meet as I'm only getting to bed now. Apologies for the late heads-up. Had a bit of work to do on the bike which I'd been putting off all evening. Turned out that more work was required than I'd thought. That or that I was slower than I thought I'd be which is probably more accurate.

I won't be around next weekend but should be game for the following Saturday weather permitting. I'm a bit of a pussy when it comes to the rain.

I'm doin this cycle next saturday,
    http://www.kinsalecyclechallenge.com/index.html
    the 23rd so it was that was a no show for me anyway lemag, but good luck with the bike work and see ya in 2 weeks, rain or shine!!

see ya in 2 weeks, rain or shine!!

shine :D

As the great Billy Connolly says " There is no such thing as bad weather just the wrong clothes" lol :D. It's Ireland, if we only went out on the good days then we would be out 5 times a year.

• Advertisement

As the great Billy Connolly says " There is no such thing as bad weather just the wrong clothes" lol :D. It's Ireland, if we only went out on the good days then we would be out 5 times a year.

I have no comeback to that.

Anyone up for a 10 o'clock meet tomorrow outside Angelsea Street Garda station?

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/new

Doing this tomorrow if ure interested, part of the route from last week's charity cycle, tough but do-able,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭murf85

Doing this tomorrow if ure interested, part of the route from last week's charity cycle, tough but do-able,

What pace are ye guys more than likely going to be setting?
    Cant open up that link,whats the rough jist of the route?

Im 50/50 as to whether il make it with work..but if im off il definitely be up for it.

Im 50/50 as to whether il make it with work..but if im off il definitely be up for it.

Nice one. You're link brought me to somewhere in the states. Where are you looking to start from?
    murf85 wrote: »

I'm at the tail end of a nasty cold so I'm certainly not planning on setting the pace. I might even have to cut it short if the body aint up to it. There's the weather factor also. funnights74 has already dissuaded me from taking the pussy route but since but I don't fancy having this cold for another week or two so I'll be a no-show if it's raining. If it aint, I'll be there with bells on.

Not a bother lads, might be best to meet at that petrol station at the bottom of the south link rain or shine. No serious pace making just as good as you feel but approx 24/25 kms, the distance, approx 115km is the challenge and a few hills in there.:eek:
    Here's that link again, dunno what happened last one.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/211887

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

That link aint workin either:confused:

Bollox anyway,:mad: worked fine when i previewed it. Last chance saloon with this one.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/212019

Ok just worked fine a few times for me, fingers crossed!!!!

• Advertisement

That link is working alright. Can't make tomorrow unfortunately, start time is too late for me. Going to try and get out early Sunday morning hopefully - no route yet, but if I'm on my own I'm going to go do a hilly route around Glounthane.

okee dokee plastic, long winter ahead so might hook up at a later stage. My plan is to keep doing 100Km plus cycles throughout the winter in order to do the skt of waterford, ring of kerry and a few more next year, so all welcome folks in all weathers!!!:)

Not a bother lads, might be best to meet at that petrol station at the bottom of the south link rain or shine. No serious pace making just as good as you feel but approx 24/25 kms, the distance, approx 115km is the challenge and a few hills in there.:eek:

Sounds good for 10am although I don't like the 'rain' part. I'm nursing the end of a nasty cold so if it's looking like rain I won't make it. Otherwise, I'll be the one with the black Canyon with orange bar tape.

You'll be well able Funnights, I only started on the bike in January this year and did the ones you mentioned plus a few more. The ROK is an absolute doddle compared to the SKT. Hardest part of the ROK is picking your way through the huge crowd!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

It'll come together for me some weekend:rolleyes: I broke the rear axel on my road bike doing the charity gig last weekend and that threw out my rear gears which ment that I cycled those f***king hills without my lowest gear and with a wobbly back wheel. I hope the bearings are ok.:o Thats why I found them so hard (its my excuse and I'm sticking to it)
    Anyone around for mid week spins by the way?

Im out anyway. Il catch ye next weekend all going to plan

• Advertisement

Im out anyway. Il catch ye next weekend all going to plan

It'll come together for me some weekend:rolleyes: I broke the rear axel on my road bike doing the charity gig last weekend and that threw out my rear gears which ment that I cycled those f***king hills without my lowest gear and with a wobbly back wheel. I hope the bearings are ok.:o Thats why I found them so hard (its my excuse and I'm sticking to it)
    Anyone around for mid week spins by the way?

Nope, midweek spins out with the clocks changing and me doing 9 TO 5 at work. Prefer not to take chance with tons of lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭backtobass

howdy folks, id be up for a regular sat/sun spin, if it becomes routine, im on the northside and normally head out the old mallow road for spins, 50/60 kms, so ill keep an eye on this thread, be available from weekend next onwards:D

Oh christ on a bike, the norries are here...... there goes the thread

Olny messing backtobass, whats the old mallow road like to cycle (traffic/surface)? I was looking at it on the route planner but havent been on it for over 10 years. cheers

Anyone heading out in the morning? Weather doesn't sound great unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭backtobass

Oh christ on a bike, the norries are here...... there goes the thread

Olny messing backtobass, whats the old mallow road like to cycle (traffic/surface)? I was looking at it on the route planner but havent been on it for over 10 years. cheers

lol:D, im actually a blow in, not a native..........the road is good surface wise and the traffic is quiet on it, i have several loops i do, taking in blarney,tower, innascarra sometimes by crossing over the bridge on the dual carraige way,rarely see any other cyclists on those roads,

Plastik wrote: »
    Anyone heading out in the morning? Weather doesn't sound great unfortunately.

Bad old morning for it, sometimes its good to have a broken bike

*thebouldwhacker throws another coal in the fire and feels warm, dry and smug*

There is hardly anyone up for a spin tomorrow evening about half 6 or 7 is there?

There is hardly anyone up for a spin tomorrow evening about half 6 or 7 is there?

What... and miss the mighty Spurs stuffing Benitez.. wrong forum.. Woops!

What kinda distance had you in mind? I have a presentation wed so I'll probably be stuck preping for that (thats why I'm still up and at my puter)

Nighttime spins? Mind the potholes men

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Any specific route planned Murf? I was hoping to get out in Carrigaline anyway.

Nothing definite planned out. Was thinking of leaving glanmire. Up to mayfield,into town, out to ballincollig,back the south link,up the airport hill once or twice,and back to glanmire via town. will try and keep to the lit areas as much as possible.

Alas I'm not gonna make it out this evening, weather looks ok and I have a new saddle and waterproof overshoes I want to try out, this would have been perfect:mad: Maybe Thursday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

It's pretty miserable so will prob stick to Carrig tonight. Might also be up for Thur

• Advertisement
Advertisement