Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting a bike from chainreaction.

• 09-10-2010 1:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭

Hello ,sorry if this is something obvious from a sticky but I couldn't see anything.

Is there much work involved in putting a bike together ,delivered from chainreaction ?
    They have a bike that doesn't seem to be available in Ireland in any shops and the price is pretty good.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

Depends on how much putting together is involved & how mechanically adept you are. If could be just that the handlebars are turned in & the pedals removed in order to get it to fit better in a box. If it's completely unbuilt, i.e. gears & brakes not cabled up & adjusted or crankset & headset not installed, then it's possibly a job for a bike mechanic. Does it say on the ad what has to be done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

I'm sure it depends on the bike. I got a bike from them at the start of last year, and a fair bit needed doing. Apart from putting the wheels on, the handlebars and stem were both seperate and needed to be attached -the gear cables were connected, so it was just a matter of putting the stem and bars on. The brakes came in a separate bag, so they had to be installed and connected up.

I was a complete novice at the time so it took about 2 hours to get everything going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

Got one there just the other week. Just handlebars loosened and turned sideways. Everything else was done; Wheels on and the lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Thanks for the replies ,the bike I've been looking at is an electra townie.

It sounds like it just depends on the bike ,as to the amount of assembly. I'm trying to avoid driving up there ,I live in Dublin and I'm too busy at work at the moment.

Maybe I can email them and ask them to keep assembly to a minimum and I'll pay extra for carriage.

Cheers.

Forgot to say ,I'm not great at bike mechanics ,I'd rather everything was safe so I can enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    Maybe I can email them and ask them to keep assembly to a minimum and I'll pay extra for carriage.

Cheers.

Forgot to say ,I'm not great at bike mechanics ,I'd rather everything was safe so I can enjoy it.

Give them a ring and they'll let you know the amount of assembly required for that bike.

I got a cube delivered recently and was dissapointed at how much work had to be done to get it road worthy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

They sell Electra's in Cycleways, just in case you didn't know.

I wouldn't buy a bike off CRC. Anything goes wrong with it after 30 days and you'll have to foot the bill to ship the bike back to them to get any warranty on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

penexpers wrote: »
    They sell Electra's in Cycleways, just in case you didn't know.

I wouldn't buy a bike off CRC. Anything goes wrong with it after 30 days and you'll have to foot the bill to ship the bike back to them to get any warranty on it.

I only seen one or two bikes on cycleways website ,so I didn't bother going into the shop. I suppose they might have other bikes on display.
    I'll try them tomorrow if I get a chance ,thanks.

Advertisement