Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stop joyriding in Galway/Suggestions

Options
  • 09-10-2010 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭

I have one,simple!!!

Build a stock car track ran by the guards or the corpo...that will minimise the cars being stolen by at least %70

Comments

Videotape the joyriding. Get photos of them. Upload it to YouTube, submit it to the media. Get these guys out there and humiliate them, and humiliate the Gardai for not taking action. The only way they will clamp down is if they have to save face. It worked for the people knick-knacking a few years back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

DOTHEDOG wrote: »
    I have one,simple!!!

Build a stock car track ran by the guards or the corpo...that will minimise the cars being stolen by at least %70

Grand idea.
    Are you paying the insurance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

op I'm afraid that most who steal cars to joyride probably don't has the money or the want to race their own cars around a track, nice idea but

I reckon myself that amputating both legs above the knees of the worst offenders in town would have an overnight effect on Galway citys joyriding :)

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

is actual joyriding, as in stealing a car just to drive around town quickly, really a problem in galway or is it just people driving their own cars around quickly and getting called joyriders?

is actual joyriding, as in stealing a car just to drive around town quickly, really a problem in galway or is it just people driving their own cars around quickly and getting called joyriders?

Car theft in Galway is minimal.

• Advertisement

mikom wrote: »
    Car theft in Galway is minimal.

Ya i used to live in Westside up until 2000 and burnt out cars were a pretty common sight back then, still spend time up there and can't remember the last time i saw one.

Was actually just saying this to someone recently that it doesn't happen much any more. Can't speak about the east side of town, but any lads i knew(of not personally) who did it in westside are either in jail or spending most of their time trying to get money for H.

Going by his ''race track'' reference i'd put a bet he's talking about ''boy racers'' and not joyriders..... bit of a diff' tbh :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DOTHEDOG

Grand idea.

i think you didn't read it properly..it clearly says ran by the guards or the corpo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

They burn out the cars on briarhill now!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Was actually just saying this to someone recently that it doesn't happen much any more. Can't speak about the east side of town, but any lads i knew(of not personally) who did it in westside are either in jail or spending most of their time trying to get money for H.
    You can't rob a car without the key any more, for the most part only actual car thieves run the risk of breaking into the house to steal the keys so they can sell the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I have one,simple!!!

Snipers at key junctions..

Also a solution for breaking red lights, being in the wrong lane and other mis-deeds.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I have one,simple!!!

Bearing in mind that the Corpo has a black hole where it's budget used to be due to not collecting development levies when the going was good (including quite a bit from the Cement Mixer "hero"), since when are the Gardai known for their provision of municipal facilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭teepee

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/187057main_spike4_330.jpg
    The only job but think there ileagal , little ****ers should be ramed of the road . car enthusiast my arse :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Dr McManus

The only proven effective way to reduce joy riding is stiffer penalties.
    Imprisonment is the only effective deterrent long term.
    If a potential joyrider fears the prospect of a lengthy jail term, they will think twice about joyriding. The Gardai are effective in enforcing the law in this area, however the courts are not imposing heavy enough sentencing to deter joyriders from re-offending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DOTHEDOG

Dr McManus wrote: »
    If a potential joyrider fears the prospect of a lengthy jail term, they will think twice about joyriding. The Gardai are effective in enforcing the law in this area, however the courts are not imposing heavy enough sentencing to deter joyriders from re-offending.

that is not the solution,how many re-offened after coming out 90% do

i reckon if they built a stock car track it would stop it outright,

stop them from stealing them
    stop them from killing someone
    stop them from killing themselves

they would not go out and steal one if there was a track there as they would spin,wheelspin,handbrake,race all they want under supervision..

they used to have one in santry in dublin and it worked a treat,wouldn't it be nice to have one here

this one is in tipp

DSCN1437.jpg

DSCN1436.jpg

DSCN1378.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

in fairness, there are better things to be spending tax dollars on. especially right now.

I don't think it would solve any problems - create more of a demand for retarded looking cars though? maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭stunt_penguin

Snipers at key junctions..

Also a solution for breaking red lights, being in the wrong lane and other mis-deeds.

I am interested in your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

I have one,simple!!!

Agreed it will minimise the problem, but will not erradicate? it... Also a place for dirt bikes(off road bikes) would be good. Even if both these things were provided for it would give some youngsters something to work on/look forward to..
    Grand idea.
    a simple contract outlining it's at your own risk would solve this as is done in karking tracks I think..
    Ya i used to live in Westside up until 2000 and burnt out cars were a pretty common sight back then, still spend time up there and can't remember the last time i saw one.

Going by his ''race track'' reference i'd put a bet he's talking about ''boy racers'' and not joyriders..... bit of a diff' tbh :D
    Not much happening in the east side lately thank god, and yes there is a difference between joyriders and boyracers... A little...
    ScumLord wrote: »
    You can't rob a car without the key any more, for the most part only actual car thieves run the risk of breaking into the house to steal the keys so they can sell the car.
    Every car can be robbed without the keys, it's just easier for them to steal the keys to get the car especially if they are young and inexperienced, Modern cars though do prove difficult for the little scum that used to make of '80's cars.. IMO...
    teepee wrote: »
    http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/187057main_spike4_330.jpg
    The only job but think there ileagal , little ****ers should be ramed of the road . car enthusiast my arse :(
    I take exception to your car emthusiast remark, it is not an accurate reflection of the car enthusiast community... There is one hugh difference between these people and car enthusiasts, and that is respect. Car enthusiasts have a huge amount of respect for their cars which most have spent a lot of money on not to mention time caring and maintaining it.. Maybe it was a slip of the tongue on your part,but people should remember, car enthusiasts are not the same as boy racers or joyriders.. all 3 are different with the biggest being car enthusiasts have respect...
    Dr McManus wrote: »
    Agreed for the most part.. But there will always be one or two who couldn't care less what was handed down to them... But as you say, sentences have been and are Very lenient..
    Xiney wrote: »
    in fairness, there are better things to be spending tax dollars on. especially right now.

I don't think it would solve any problems - create more of a demand for retarded looking cars though? maybe.
    Incorrect... It would, as I said 'give youngsters something to do' which could be a point of contact for the gardai and other organisations for a contact point or early intervention to potentail troublesome people.. Also as for the retarded cars comment, it will also help to take a lot of the older cars of the road.. (These cars are not driven on road, the end result of these events is a lot of cars damaged/unrepairable)..

Sorry about spelling if to many mistakes as I am on the wine, but all views and statements are factual to the best of my memory...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

i think you didn't read it properly..it clearly says ran by the guards or the corpo

They will still have to have insurance on it which would be astronomical.
    that is not the solution,how many re-offened after coming out 90% do

i reckon if they built a stock car track it would stop it outright,

stop them from stealing them
    stop them from killing someone
    stop them from killing themselves

they would not go out and steal one if there was a track there as they would spin,wheelspin,handbrake,race all they want under supervision..

There's always going to be people that want to do what they're not supposed to, this wouldn't be a solution for them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

martyboy48 wrote: »

I take exception to your car emthusiast remark, it is not an accurate reflection of the car enthusiast community... There is one hugh difference between these people and car enthusiasts, and that is respect. Car enthusiasts have a huge amount of respect for their cars which most have spent a lot of money on not to mention time caring and maintaining it.. Maybe it was a slip of the tongue on your part,but people should remember, car enthusiasts are not the same as boy racers or joyriders.. all 3 are different with the biggest being car enthusiasts have respect...

Spot on,

Galway doesnt have a bad boy racer problem either tho,too many people mix them up with genuine enthusiasts which is a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

What's the correct name for the gob****es who congregate outside Dunnes of an evening in sup'd-up fiestas etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I have one,simple!!!

spped bumps on thed dike road or maybe even have garda patrols in the area

martyboy48 wrote: »
    a simple contract outlining it's at your own risk would solve this as is done in karking tracks I think..

Not worth the paper it's written on.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

Ficheall wrote: »
    What's the correct name for the gob****es who congregate outside Dunnes of an evening in sup'd-up fiestas etc?

gob****es covers them really. They are more than likely boy races if they are in fiestas

Advertisement