Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused customer

Options
  • 09-10-2010 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

Hi there,

yesterday Friday 08/10 I bought a power supply for a PC from a local computer store. When I got home and tried to fit the power supply some of the cables are not long enough to plug into the places I need them. I tried to move things around to make it fit but it wouldn't. Anyway as I didn't want to go cutting and joining cables as this would void the warranty I attempted to return the item to where I bought it this morning but they flat out refused a refund and offered a credit note but minus 20% of the value of the item. He said it was my fault as I went in looking for the part and he just sold it to me.

It's been a while since I did business studies but as the goods are not fit for it's purpose i.e to supply power I'm either entitled to a refund, replacement or repair? Or is there some loophole which I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

There is nothing wrong with the part aside from it not being long enough. Its fit for purpose (supplying power), you didn't ensure that it met your circumstances (knowing what length of cable you needed). You're not entitled to anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭mayfire

You re lucky you even got the credit note. They are under no obligation to accept the return unless the item broke one of the conditions under the Sale of Goods act and as the other poster said, it was fit for the purpose. You should have measured it. Buyer Beware and all of that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

phoenix833 wrote: »
    It's been a while since I did business studies but as the goods are not fit for it's purpose i.e to supply power I'm either entitled to a refund, replacement or repair? Or is there some loophole which I'm missing?

You bought a PSU and it does its job as a PSU as...well it is a PSU.

The very fact that it doesn't fit your personal needs as you failed to see if the cables were long enough is nobody's fault but your own.

Nobody has to take the item back,the fact they are offering credit is extremely generous of them as they have to do nothing under law.

You may want to find those old business books of yours a re-read them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The only way you have any comeback in this situation would be if you told them what length cables you needed the power supply to have, and they sold you this one which is inadequate. If you picked it out, or didn't specify what length cables it needed, then that's too bad. You're not entitled to anything, as you got exactly what you wanted at the time.

You can get power cable extenders, that just plug onto the end of the cable on the power supply. Look on dabs.ie, elara.ie or komplett.ie. You may even be able to get them in places like Maplin or Peats, or the shop where you bought that power supply. I'm guessing it's the motherboard power cable that's the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

As with everyone else so far, you are not entitled to a refund because there is nothing wrong with it.

However, did you explain to the retailer your issue? It should be just a case of swopping it for one a bit longer - assuming he has one.

Even if you have to pay a few quid to get the next one up, then do it.

If the retailer is refusing to do this with you, then its a lesson learned. He's a miserable fecker and you should go elsewhere in future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Going by the way the retailer is offering a credit note less 20%, I'd say the packaging is damaged and the item could not be resold as new. In which case a 20% reduction in price offered is very reasonable. I'd expect a minimum of a 20% reduction to buy a product with opened packaging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You can buy extender cables for any of the cables anyway, be it 24 pin, 4 pin, pci-e, or whatever.

Advertisement