Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long to roast 1.5lb piece of fillet steak?

Options
  • 09-10-2010 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

I normally bbq fillet steaks but i am going to brown a piece (1.5lbs for 4 people) first on a hot pan and then cook it in the oven, the butcher said that after browning, to cook it at 240 in oven for 40mins, but, the mother in law who is a great cook said just 15 mins at 200 after browning would do.
    Any comments? (apart from dont roast it)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I think I'd go with your mother in-law there! (butchers aren't always great cooks)
    Let it rest for at least 10 minutes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

depends how you want it really. butcher timing sounds like a good irish well done piece of leather id go with the mother in law

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

the butcher sounds like he is trying to make a pair of leather shoes, not cook a fillet of beef

go with the mother in law -

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭wall

I browned the piece on a pan, all 4ish sides for about 5mins altogether, then in oven about 230c for nearly 30 mins, rested for 10 mins, result was very good, done medium, light pink inside.
    Next time I will brown it more first to give it a nice crust, then cover in whole grain mustard and black pepper and cook at 230c for maybe 23 mins ? and rest again for 10 mins. Should be a nice compliment of tasty crust with pink smooth inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Your prob better off asking here - http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1011

I would butterfly it and do it for max 5mins.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Your prob better off asking here - http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1011

I would butterfly it and do it for max 5mins.

Careful now.

Advertisement