Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

operating system query - office 2010

• 09-10-2010 2:58pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi, wondering if someone can help me out. I have just installed office 2010 on my netbook and wanted to install it on my laptop. I'm getting a setup error which says that to install this product I must have one of the following operating systems;
    x86 platform or x64 platform

I haven't a clue what to do or even how to find out what operating system I'm using.:confused:
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,400 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

its the type of laptop, most systems would be x86 or x64

what type of laptop do you have?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

its the type of laptop, most systems would be x86 or x64

what type of laptop do you have?

its a dell vostro 1000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,400 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Should work but maybe you need a service pack or update for your system
    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/officeinstall/thread/dde4e1f8-2c01-4980-8c53-97ccc1165f33

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

If you look at the System page under Control panel it should tell you.

Start > Control Panel > System
    (Or hit the windows key and the 'Pause' button together)

if your PC is 64 bit Windows Vista or Windows 7 it'll list "System Type: 64 bit operating system" beside RAM and Processor.

It's very unlikely though that this is the case. Having to guess blindly it's almost certain to be x86, which means 32 bit Windows. It's still the default version sold for most Vostros.

What version of Office 2010 is it? Office 2010 Starter might be restricted to a particular laptop manufacturer.

ressem wrote: »
    If you look at the System page under Control panel it should tell you.

Start > Control Panel > System
    (Or hit the windows key and the 'Pause' button together)

if your PC is 64 bit Windows Vista or Windows 7 it'll list "System Type: 64 bit operating system" beside RAM and Processor.

It's very unlikely though that this is the case. Having to guess blindly it's almost certain to be x86, which means 32 bit Windows. It's still the default version sold for most Vostros.

okay just checked that and it says 32 bit operating system. So why am I getting an error message?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Can you post the exact wording of the error message please?

Should work but maybe you need a service pack or update for your system
    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/officeinstall/thread/dde4e1f8-2c01-4980-8c53-97ccc1165f33

sorry ghost train just saw this, will give this a try. cheers

Can you post the exact wording of the error message please?

It says;
    setup is unable to proceed due to the following error(s)
    to install and use this product, you must be running one of the following operating systems:
    X86 Platform
    -Windows 7
    - Windows Vista SP1
    - Windows XP SP3
    - Windows Server 2003 SP2

X64 Platform
    - Windows 7
    - Windows Vista SP1
    - Windows Server 2008
    Correct the issues listed above and re-run setup

It looks like I have Windows Vista Home Basic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

That helps.

So the question looks like whether you have Vista Service pack 1 or 2 or none at all installed.

If it doesn't mention a service pack version on the system page you visited earlier, then you have no service pack installed. You'll need to install service pack 1. Then you really should install service pack 2 and all updates.

You should be able to find these by clicking...
    Start > All Programs > Windows Updates
    It should list service pack 1 as an important update for you to install. It'll take an hour or more to download and install, restarting your computer at the end.

When finished you should revisit windows updates to get the further updates.

ressem wrote: »
    That helps.

So the question looks like whether you have Vista Service pack 1 or 2 or none at all installed.

If it doesn't mention a service pack version on the system page you visited earlier, then you have no service pack installed. You'll need to install service pack 1. Then you really should install service pack 2 and all updates.

You should be able to find these by clicking...
    Start > All Programs > Windows Updates
    It should list service pack 1 as an important update for you to install. It'll take an hour or more to download and install, restarting your computer at the end.

When finished you should revisit windows updates to get the further updates.

thanks for the help. I managed to install the service packs and then install office 2010 - 5 hours in total - great fun.....
    Cheers..:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement