Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sloping frame question?

• 09-10-2010 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm finally ready to buy my first road bike in over 20 years...Basically I've been waiting for the 'Winter' pricing to kick in to get the best frame, wheels, G/S etc. for about a grand (there are some good options but diminishing rapidly in terms of size choices)...The spanner in the works is now Planet x limited offer on their SL Pro, carbon frame with SRAM Red for €1300 ish !! I could stretch the extra €300 but wanted to ask your advice re; the sloping frame (which I don't especially like the look of btw)...It's particularly sloping in comparison to others (have other bike companies been moving away from this?) and I've searched boards on this and on the Planet x threads but can't find any particular mention of this....

My plan is to start in the Spring (currently training for the Marathon so decent all round fitness level) with a few friends who are in a cycling club....go for a few spins, build up the mileage and see where I go from there..Any reason to avoid a sloping frame? Am I right in thinking the SL with SRAM Red for that sort of money is especially well priced?

Thanks,

digger

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

digger2d2 wrote: »
    ...Any reason to avoid a sloping frame?

No, but watch out for it being a womans frame if the slope is very well pronounced, thats all really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Don't buy a bike that you think is ugly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Lumen wrote: »
    Don't buy a bike that you think is ugly.
    Yeh...Strange one that as I wouldn't with a car or a woman ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

The SL carbon gets great reviews from owners on this forum & is considered good value for money.
    Personally I don't like the look of compact frames & I think the SL carbon looks fugly but that's just personal opinion.
    You're more likely to enjoy cycling a bike that you like the look of imo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

You're more likely to enjoy cycling a bike that you like the look of for when you are stopped at cafes imo!

FYP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

From Bikeforums.net
    Compact frames have a smaller triangle, which some claim improves handling, requires less material for greater stiffness and lighter weight
    compact frames are a good fit for many shorter riders because they increase the standover clearance and give them more adjustability than traditional frames
    because of the increased adjustability, stores don't have to stock/offer as many frame sizes (usually s, m, l).

I purchased a PX Sl Pro 2 years ago for about the same price. I am very happy with it. Great value for money. Lightweight and climbs well.
    I thought the PX Model type B wheels that came with it were great too.
    Strong competitive cyclists and sprinters may prefer greater stiffness in the bottom bracket and forks.
    If you are buying a small frame check that it can take 2 bottle cages. Mine is a medium and takes 2 cages but the bottle on the seatube must be short because of the sloping top tube.
    Check that the standard gearing and crank lengths for a particular frame size are suitable for you also.

The SL carbon gets great reviews from owners on this forum & is considered good value for money.
    Personally I don't like the look of compact frames & I think the SL carbon looks fugly but that's just personal opinion.
    You're more likely to enjoy cycling a bike that you like the look of imo!
    I've read boards SL reviews and they are strong and the addition of S Red as well is very tempting...It's strange though, I love the look of the Cube Agree SL, €1300 on CR but seems a bit expensive for non carbon and the Colnago Ace is really nice but €1700 plus for Veloce??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 savedbythebell

I just purchased the SL Pro Carbon / SRAM Red recently on that deal. The service from PX is excellent whith great communication and help with any questions you have, bike rides smoother than my previous felt, SRAM Red is a joy, with almost silent shifting.

I like the look of it, but I can see how some dont, I got it in white, it aint so white now after a 80k spin today! :)

I just purchased the SL Pro Carbon / SRAM Red recently on that deal. The service from PX is excellent whith great communication and help with any questions you have, bike rides smoother than my previous felt, SRAM Red is a joy, with almost silent shifting.

I like the look of it, but I can see how some dont, I got it in white, it aint so white now after a 80k spin today! :)

Thanks, it seems fantastic value (I saw SRAM red g/s advertised somewhere on its own for a grand!)...Good luck with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Thanks, it seems fantastic value (I saw SRAM red g/s advertised somewhere on its own for a grand!)...Good luck with it!

The Planet-X does not ship with a full Red groupset, they've substituted some components to bring down the price.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    The Planet-X does not ship with a full Red groupset, they've substituted some components to bring down the price.

Yes, you're right...Just went through the spec in more detail.....

Advertisement