Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everdrive flash cart

• 09-10-2010 3:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭

Does anyone have one of these MD flash carts?

I've been reading a good bit about it on a few other forums and watching a few videos of it in action, looks like a great item. It can play nearly all MD, SMS, and 32x games

I'm thinking about picking one up. The price is a bit steep, about 65 euro, but a few of the Jp games I want to get at some point cost even more, so maybe it's not that bad.

Here's a review of it --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Jfw127vD0Q
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDpBJVE0YMA&feature=related

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I have an older Tototek MDpro 64 flash cart. Same deal with 32x (not sure about Mastersystem), and they work very, very well. In recent times though, the Tototek cart has become a bit of a dinosaur, requiring flashing via parallel port. Coupled with only 64Mb of memory, you can fill it up quite rapidly.

That newer cart which has the sd-card feature is very cool. I remember reading some negatives a few months ago about Everdrive products, but from looking at the video all the issues have been sorted. Finally, 65 sterling is a damn good price for that, its cheaper than the inferior previous flash carts & has far better features.

Hmm, an upgrade could be in order :D Who is the UK distributer?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭Joe Musashi

I don't there is a UK distributor.

I got an email today to say that these guys have it back in stock. The other distributors seem to be out of stock.

http://krikzz.com/everdrive-md.html

I don't there is a UK distributor.

I got an email today to say that these guys have it back in stock. The other distributors seem to be out of stock.

http://krikzz.com/everdrive-md.html

Ah 65 dollars, even better :cool: I had a quick look on Sega16 - it gets the thumbs up. Go for it, I see he has a SNES version too :cool:

When I went to purchase it a message came saying that the last one was currently being purchased. But after trying to add it a few more items, and getting the same message again and again, I noticed the the item seemed to be added to the shopping cart.

I've purchased it now, but I've a bad feeling I'll get an email telling me they're out of stock and be refunded. Here's hoping I don't. :)

To update this: I got the everdrive around a month back. It works very well. You can use up to a 2GB Sd card with it, which covers the whole MD, SMS and 32x library.

The games run perfectly, as shown in the videos above.

I'll list a few of the negatives:

1. The version I received has a glitch where it can occassionally freeze while flashing a rom. A firmware update will fix the problem, but the equipment for updating costs around 25 euro. I have read a few posts from the creator saying you can send it back to him and he'll update the firmware for free. I might avail of that.

2. There's a limit on the amount of files you can have in one folder, I think 128. It's not a big deal at all. I just created a second "S" folder and that was it.

3. Cutting a whole in a cart is a pain unless you have a dremel tool. I don't have one and had to use a wire cutters . It took me a while but I got there in the end and carved a decent enough hole.

4. The master system pause button was removed from the later versions and customers not informed. I ordered thinking it would come with the pause button attached, but no, it didn't. I think the pause button is necessary for some of the master system games.

5. Every time you want to play a different game you need to power the console off and on again. It can be a bit irritating.

6. Some file names are too long and won't fit fully on the screen. So you would need to shorten some if you have multiple files of the same name, otherwise you won't know which region game you're selecting.

Another thing to remember is that you need a gamebit to open the cart. I forgot about that and end up having to wait a while.

Most of these are not that big of a deal.

• Advertisement

5. Every time you want to play a different game you need to power the console off and on again. It can be a bit irritating.

All good points, but doesn't the above need to be done anyway :p Joking aside, thats not a limitation of the cart, more a case of whatever is loaded into the consoles ram will need to be purged before loading a new game :) Really tempted to order this & the snes & nes versions next year...but then again, for the money that would cost, I could nearly get the actual games I wanted for each system & have change to spare. That being said, flash cards are sweet for proto roms & fan translations. So I may as well upgrade my Tototek dinosaurs to these new Everdrive sd based carts.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Thanks for the update Joe. I just ordered the Deluxe version from stoneagegamer a few days ago, right before they went out of stock again (least I hope so). Did a bit of research on it beforehand and the lack of pause button for the SMS games didn't bother me too much, you can get it separate and solder it on apparently.
    What made the deal sweater for me was that it also works on the Nomad. Can't wait to test it out on that along with the crisp new screen (and the battery mod if I ever get it back from EnterNow's :P).
    Thats good to know about the number of files per folder and the filename length though, cheers.

@EnterNow, the NES Powerpak is class. Defo worth a purchase I think. One strange thing about it is that it doesn't list games alphabetically. I think it goes by the date/time they are copied to the CF card, only a problem if you copy new roms to it though.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Thanks for the update Joe. I just ordered the Deluxe version from stoneagegamer a few days ago, right before they went out of stock again (least I hope so). Did a bit of research on it beforehand and the lack of pause button for the SMS games didn't bother me too much, you can get it separate and solder it on apparently.
    What made the deal sweater for me was that it also works on the Nomad. Can't wait to test it out on that along with the crisp new screen (and the battery mod if I ever get it back from EnterNow's :P).
    Thats good to know about the number of files per folder and the filename length though, cheers.

@EnterNow, the NES Powerpak is class. Defo worth a purchase I think. One strange thing about it is that it doesn't list games alphabetically. I think it goes by the date/time they are copied to the CF card, only a problem if you copy new roms to it though.

It's here ready & waiting for you to pick it up man, isn't it such a shame about the snow :D Oh by the way, you'll need to charge it up when you get it. Unless it runs out from me playing it first :P

Advertisement