Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The RIRAs legitimacy

Options
  • 09-10-2010 3:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

If the men of 1916 had a claim to legitimacy in this country and we celebrate that fact every year, doesnt the RIRA and CIRA share that same claim? Im not a supporter of either, I would just like to see your arguments on this matter. Please try to keep it civil.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

No. Different times, different situation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

KeithAFC wrote: »
    No. Different times, different situation.

I accept that but they do share the same ideology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

This will be a lovely friendly thread and will end well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

The RIRA or any other such outfit have no legitimacy other than in their own twisted minds. Many Irish people would love to see a united Ireland where all are happy both north and south but not through violence or intimidation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

paky wrote: »
    I accept that but they do share the same ideology.

1916 There was large support through out the country for Independence even though after the rising the people of Dublin where non to impressed with the wide spread destruction of their city. Those that fought ranged from the upper to lower class and in general where respected members of society. Attacks were carried out on British institutions i.e. army, secret service, RIC etc... Many british colonies had or were attempting to gain independence and the Irish of the time were no differant.

2010 RIRA/CIRA plan to blow up banks, kill innocent civilians and target their fellow country men who have chosen to join the the PSNI to try and better their communities. Many if not most of the members are involved in criminality i.e drugs. There is no support for their actions from people north or south of the border wheter they be green or orange due to the pain and suffering endured in years gone by.

Tl;dr They are scum intent on causing misery and suffering and sending the peace process back 30 years.

• Advertisement

Many if not most of the members are involved in criminality i.e drugs.

Evidence of this please?
    There are plenty of legitimate reasons to have issue with the dissidents, however I do not think this is true at all.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

If the men of 1916 had a claim to legitimacy in this country and we celebrate that fact every year, doesnt the RIRA and CIRA share that same claim? Im not a supporter of either, I would just like to see your arguments on this matter. Please try to keep it civil.
    I don't accept that the men of 1916 had any legitimacy. They had no mandate whatsoever. They were a tiny minority of a tiny minority, and we shouldn't celebrate their decision to choose violence over peaceful means.

I recognise that I'm largely alone in that view, but the rest of the nation seem comfortable with cognitive dissonance. I don't like doublethink.

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Evidence of this please?
    There are plenty of legitimate reasons to have issue with the dissidents, however I do not think this is true at all.

If that is the case can you prove that they are not or would you like to suggest how in fact they are funding their activities? I'm being realistic here, many times it has being mentioned that these groups are involved in criminality whether they be drugs or fuel/cigarette smuggling to fund their activity's.

If that is the case can you prove that they are not or would you like to suggest how in fact they are funding their activities? I'm being realistic here, many times it has being mentioned that these groups are involved in criminality whether they be drugs or fuel/cigarette smuggling to fund their activity's.
    You should have to produce evidence for your claim tbf. You cant just come on, say anything, then say "prove me wrong".

1916 There was large support through out the country for Independence even though after the rising the people of Dublin where non to impressed with the wide spread destruction of their city. Those that fought ranged from the upper to lower class and in general where respected members of society. Attacks were carried out on British institutions i.e. army, secret service, RIC etc... Many british colonies had or were attempting to gain independence and the Irish of the time were no differant.

2010 RIRA/CIRA plan to blow up banks, kill innocent civilians and target their fellow country men who have chosen to join the the PSNI to try and better their communities. Many if not most of the members are involved in criminality i.e drugs. There is no support for their actions from people north or south of the border wheter they be green or orange due to the pain and suffering endured in years gone by.

Tl;dr They are scum intent on causing misery and suffering and sending the peace process back 30 years.

So are you saying that the fact that there support is small doesnt give them any legitimacy?

• Advertisement

So are you saying that the fact that there support is small doesnt give them any legitimacy?
    Where does legitimacy come from, if not from a popular mandate? Or don't you believe in democracy?

Nope this is what i am saying
    "RIRA/CIRA plan to blow up banks, kill innocent civilians and target their fellow country men who have chosen to join the the PSNI to try and better their communities. Many if not most of the members are involved in criminality i.e drugs. There is no support for their actions from people north or south of the border wheter they be green or orange due to the pain and suffering endured in years gone by."

Also how is it legitimate if the people of this Island have voted for the peace process? How is it legitimate to kill innocent civilians?

Do you actually believe it can be compared?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Are they a recognized legal political party that have legitimate legal aims where democracy is paramount?.....
    thought not.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭NSNO

No terrorist group has any legitimacy. With no exceptions. The use of terror or violence is never justified to achieve political goals. Is a line on a map worth even a single human life? Life is far too precious and fragile to be destroyed in the name of petty tribalism.

Are the ones who they oppose not the illigitmate ones? The Northern Ireland Governement and the Irish Government?

Are the ones who they oppose not the illigitmate ones? The Northern Ireland Governement and the Irish Government?
    Only in the make-believe Irish republican parallel universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭NSNO

How could they possibly be illegitimate? Government derives its legitimacy from the democratic will of a society and the active participation of its citizens.

What is illegitimate about them?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Where does legitimacy come from, if not from a popular mandate? Or don't you believe in democracy?

how much backing does an organisation need to have a legitimate mandate?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I don't accept that the men of 1916 had any legitimacy. They had no mandate whatsoever. They were a tiny minority of a tiny minority, and we shouldn't celebrate their decision to choose violence over peaceful means.

I recognise that I'm largely alone in that view, but the rest of the nation seem comfortable with cognitive dissonance. I don't like doublethink.

Not totally. I'm with you. [Perhaps you would prefer to be alone.]

You should have to produce evidence for your claim tbf. You cant just come on, say anything, then say "prove me wrong".

All it takes is a search through google and it is easy to see why i have said what i have said. Two examples.

Some quotes from the house of commons website
    15. The approaches adopted for paramilitary fund-raising over the years have ranged from the very simple to the very sophisticated, and from the simply criminal to the apparently legitimate. They include:

armed robbery;
    • extortion/protection rackets;
    • loan sharking;
    • drinking clubs;
    • gaming machines;
    • smuggling of alcohol, tobacco and petrol;
    • sale of counterfeit goods including audio and videotapes and CDs;
    • the drugs trade (supply and dealing);
    • kidnapping; and
    • fraud (such as social security fraud and building sub-contractor fraud)
    http://www.publications.parliament.uk

• Advertisement

All it takes is a search through google and it is easy to see why i have said what i have said. Two examples.

Some quotes from the house of commons website

http://www.publications.parliament.uk
    Hardly the most neutral sources are they? The first, or the second. And in the second case a court was "told" that.

I firmly believe that the dissidents are not involved in selling drugs. I think this because currently they seem to be on a mission to gather support by attempting to eliminate drug dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I firmly believe that the dissidents are not involved in selling drugs. I think this because currently they seem to be on a mission to gather support by attempting to eliminate drug dealers.

I have no knowledge of whether RIRA or CIRA members sell drugs. But eliminating drug dealers is not a persuasive indicator, because most elimination of drug dealers is done by other drug dealers.

I have no knowledge of whether RIRA or CIRA members sell drugs. But eliminating drug dealers is not a persuasive indicator, because most elimination of drug dealers is done by other drug dealers.
    But they do not do that in order to gather support for a political cause do they?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

In my mind they are no different.

As oB pointed out, neither had a mandate of the people. Both were fringe elements of a larger cause. Both use terror, targeting of civilians, and unmandated violence to achieve their aim.

I am a patriot and I love this country, but I am ashamed the my country was founded on illegitimate violence. I am ashamed that we celebrate that violence to this day. I would have been much prouder of a non-violent solution. In my mind the true patriots of this country, were the home rulers CS Parnell et al.

I am a member of the Defence Forces and I serve my country with pride, however it galls me to celebrate the 1916 rising as something to be proud of. It is not. It was a renegade action of a fringe terrorist group that lacked the publics backing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭CokaColumbo

The volunteers of 1916 shot dead a number of innocent civilians and unarmed police-men.

The claim that republicans sell drugs to fund their armed campaigns has been made over and over again but never has sufficient evidence been produced to support the claim (except in case of the post-Good Friday Agreement INLA anyway).

I support the peace process and oppose groups like ONH, CIRA and RIRA but the above two facts should be considered before drawing a massive distinction between the men and women of 1916 and the men and women of the RIRA.

I do support the 1916 volunteers though and laud them as the founding patriots of our modern state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

The winners write history, so unless they succeed and get a united Ireland they won't be regarded as legitimate. Don't support them personally and don't think we could afford to take the north back at the moment, but I do think we're becoming more and more integrated, and that the country will probably reunited at some point in the future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

This is precisely the problem and the legacy of blood that men like Pearse have left this nation. Epigrams like 'Ireland unfree shall never be at peace' symbolise what is rotten to the very core with Irish Republicanism; it is an ideology that embraces violence above all other methods to achieve self determination as it implicitly states that if you do not agree with me you deserve to die. Very few ideologies have this as a founding principle, even fascism, yet violent extreme nationalism, a relic from the late 19th and early 20th century still has some traction in Ireland, no matter how bizarre, and how utterly wrong it may be.

The fighting men of 1916 are interesting as an historical curiosity, a mimic of the French republican revolutionary tradition, but it has no legitimacy whatsoever in terms of a democratic mandate. We see this with some Republicans who strive to paint the 1918 general election in a vacuum that precludes all of the local variables as well as external crises such as the conscription crisis. To these people, 1918 was a flat out endorsement of revolutionary seperatism and to attempt to tell them otherwise results in you banging your head against a particularly stubborn brick wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

They prob do have the same legitamacy as the 1916 men did yes but then the tactics of the 1916 men were far different. Reading newspapers the days after it happened is scarily similar to the articles about the current militant groups. PIRA could prob justify their actions even further given the oppression of nationalists at the time. An opression I believe to be effectively gone now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

yekahs wrote: »
    In my mind they are no different.

As oB pointed out, neither had a mandate of the people. Both were fringe elements of a larger cause. Both use terror, targeting of civilians, and unmandated violence to achieve their aim.

I am a patriot and I love this country, but I am ashamed the my country was founded on illegitimate violence. I am ashamed that we celebrate that violence to this day. I would have been much prouder of a non-violent solution. In my mind the true patriots of this country, were the home rulers CS Parnell et al.

I am a member of the Defence Forces and I serve my country with pride, however it galls me to celebrate the 1916 rising as something to be proud of. It is not. It was a renegade action of a fringe terrorist group that lacked the publics backing.

I have never been able to understand this viewpoint. The country was brutally occupied by a brutal army and yet people who resist are the ones that are thought of as being to blame or in the wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I have never been able to understand this viewpoint. The country was brutally occupied by a brutal army and yet people who resist are the ones that are thought of as being to blame or in the wrong.

What a scarily disproportionate opinion you have of early 20th century Irish history. And don't go on about the Black and Tans, please, 1916 happened well before 1920.

Advertisement