Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The RIRAs legitimacy

15678911»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Denerick wrote: »
    I've said what I think about the quasi fascist nature of Irish Republicanism several times, how it rests on retrospective justification, how it lauds violence as a means to an end above all others (Constitutionalism is a 'contaminate that will infect the Fenian movement and ruin morale' after all) I find the entire idea of it all to be incredibly boring and archaic. Nationalism is an anachronism, belongs to an earlier age. Who cares if we are governed by France, Britain, America, China or Nigeria so long as we have personal liberty?

What is it about Irish Republicanism that you think is 'Quasi Fascist'?

I am a Republican and I certainly dont think Violence is acceptable if there is a peaceful path open.
    My objection to British rule before Independence is based both on how they governed Ireland and the Basis that governance rested on.
    Badly and the force of arms respectavly.

I havent heard that quote before and dont know where you got it from but I think by Constitutionalism they ment working within the British system not democracy, The IRB was in favor of Democracy after all.

Personally I think the Most important thing is that the state should be representative of the wishes of its people, Something that is far more easily achieved in an Independent Ireland than an Ireland Ruled by a Foreign people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

dlofnep wrote: »
    Up until 1970's, Irish people were still marching for civil rights in the north.

It was also Irish people who were denying those same civil rights to that minority population. Had Redmond's parliament been created in 1918 in Dublin you can be sure that that Catholic population would have received equal treatment from that time on. But it was the pro-treaty SF elements and later anti-treaty SF elements who first agreed to partition and then later cemented it and ignored all any claims for justice that the nationalist people had. Just ask them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

It was also Irish people who were denying those same civil rights to that minority population. Had Redmond's parliament been created in 1918 in Dublin you can be sure that that Catholic population would have received equal treatment from that time on. But it was the pro-treaty SF elements and later anti-treaty SF elements who first agreed to partition and then later cemented it and ignored all any claims for justice that the nationalist people had. Just ask them.

Do you honestly believe Ireland would be United if Home rule had come trough?

Have you heard of the curragh mutiny? The UVF?

Advertisement