Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

350 euro burning a hole in my pocket

• 09-10-2010 4:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

OK, I have got 350 quid that the wife says I can use to buy something for myself( Isn't that nice of her). I got my first DSLR camera last year and realy enjoy using it so I decided to spend it on that. So here's what I have:
    Canon eos 450D with the kit lens
    Camera Bag
    A decent tripod
    Filters: UV and Polarising

So my questions is, what should I buy? I am thinking a better lens but what should I get for 350 euro. I take mostly landscape photos and the such.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

For that sort of price range there's not really much that can be recommended for landscape. If you could double up your money the ef-s 10-22mm is an excellent, almost L quality lens. Sigma do a 14mm f2.8 but I don't know how good it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭toe_knee

To be honest I am in shock at the fact that she is letting me spend 350 so definatly not going to push my luck. Any advice on any zoom lenses i.e 18-200/105 a decent all rounder lens?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

If you do landscape work then get some nice filters like nd grads and a polariser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

You should pick up a 2nd hand sigma 10-20mm on adverts with change for a filter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

You could looking into getting a pano head for your tripod. That is IF you take/plan on taking panoramic shots... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Do you shot portrait's often? If so you'd get a 50mm f1.8 and a decent flash unit within your budget.

Don't shoot potraits really. I am thinking now of getting an all rounder lens now. Maybe get a 50mm on for about 90 euro and spend the rest on a second hand zoom lens nut really need guidance on what to get. Very new to this and am going through adverts.ie and ebay but havent a clue. Checking reviews of every lens I come across.
    I have read great reviews on the 50mm but I would nearly prefer to get an all rounder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

toe_knee wrote: »
    Don't shoot potraits really. I am thinking now of getting an all rounder lens now. Maybe get a 50mm on for about 90 euro and spend the rest on a second hand zoom lens nut really need guidance on what to get. Very new to this and am going through adverts.ie and ebay but havent a clue. Checking reviews of every lens I come across.
    I have read great reviews on the 50mm but I would nearly prefer to get an all rounder

There really is no such thing when it comes to a DSLR, that's the whole point of a DSLR- changing the lens for something best suited to the task at hand.

What are the 18-200mm lens for ???? I thought that would be an all rounder. Am I mistaken

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

I had an 18-200 lens before I would not recommend it. It was on a 50D and just didn't cut it.

• Advertisement

What did you get instead of the 18-200 lens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

you could probably pick up a used sigma 18-50 2.8 and a canon 75-300 4-5.6 within budget. may even have enough left for a filter or two if you strike good deals. either that or a sigma 10-20 if you think you'd prefer to have something wide.

Now that I like the sound of. Time to go bargain hunting :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The Kit Lens you have is already an "all rounder" so why double up there?

I have a Sigma 10-20 and have used it a lot. Below is a shot taken with it.

CB678621198743DB959A15A4C04EC5D1-0000318539-0001966858-00800L-35C6DA96FC9A45348B532697B438C8A6.jpg

Lovely pic. I know the kit lens is an all rounder but I have got to the stage where I can see how much it lacks in sharpness and so on. I wouldn't mind upgrading it to something better with a larger zoom.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

try to sneak an extra 100 -150 out of the purse and get a 70-200 F4 zoom lens it would be the best option for that type of money

Otherwise have you thought about getting a decent flash and a 50mm 1.8 lens. Both of those would be useful.

C
    PS got rid of 18-200 and got a 15-85 lens on a 7d so I'm happy with that.

Advertisement