Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound Card Advice

Options
  • 09-10-2010 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

My needs are simple. I want to be able to record voice audio without the hissing noise in the background.

I don't care about gaming and I don't care about output sound quality. I only care about recording quality and even then I don't have great expectations. I just don't want a hissing sound in the background and I want people to be able to hear my voice without having to crank their sound up to 100%.

I have a good microphone but an obviously awful sound card because no matter how I set it to the recording quality is crap.

I'm willing to spend money on a high end gaming/studio quality sound card if necessary, but I would have thought my needs were a lot simpler than that!

Anyone have any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

what about an emu sound card?

the 1212m pci-e card is good (also available as a straight up pci version)

you can get a breakout box for it as well which has great preamps (the same used in high end pro-tools systems)

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭bipedalhumanoid

After days of people at musical instrument & pc/electronics stores telling me the problem isn't the mic and is instead the sound card, I decided to shell out €7 on a dodgy little plastic mic to test the theory.

The dodgy little plastic mic works fine. The problem therefore isn't the sound card. It's the expensive, professional microphone I was using.
    I think it might need a boost from a preamp. Anyone have any experience plugging ordinary handheld microphones (as opposed to cheap ones that come with web cams) into their sound cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

After days of people at musical instrument & pc/electronics stores telling me the problem isn't the mic and is instead the sound card, I decided to shell out €7 on a dodgy little plastic mic to test the theory.

The dodgy little plastic mic works fine. The problem therefore isn't the sound card. It's the expensive, professional microphone I was using.
    I think it might need a boost from a preamp. Anyone have any experience plugging ordinary handheld microphones (as opposed to cheap ones that come with web cams) into their sound cards?
    What type of mic are you using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Capacitor! thats the word I was rooting around for, if its a capacitor mic it need a pre-amp

what exact microphone is it? you could try a usb preamp. they are available on thomann or musicstore.de

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭bipedalhumanoid

indough wrote: »
    what exact microphone is it? you could try a usb preamp. they are available on thomann or musicstore.de

Tx – 8
    Type moving coil dynamic
    Freq response 50 to 16000Hz
    Output level at 1000hz : circuit voltage -75Db
    Impedence: Rated Impedance is 600 ohms for connection to microphone inputs rated low z

this one is supposed to be very good i researched it a while back, maybe you could find it cheaper elsewhere

http://www.thomann.de/ie/centrance_micport_pro.htm

heres the product page with more details

http://www.centrance.com/products/mp/

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Fresz19

Creative X-Fi Audio - good for everything - cost 50 euro

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

No...

And €50 is way too much to pay for that PoS anyway...

ugone2far.gif

its nowhere near good enough for a proper recording

• Advertisement
Advertisement