Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Biking Start-up Costs?

• 09-10-2010 5:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

I know I've seen this somewhere before but couldn't find it on the Motorcycle FAQ sticky.

How much roughly dose it cost to get started in biking?
    I have my provisional licence and will be looking for a Bros or Hornet 250 when I get home next month. Can anyone give me an estimated cost for the following:

-Motorbike (Honda Bros or Hornet)
    -Insurance (23 male on Prov Licence)
    -Training
    -Gear (Helmet, Boots etc.)
    -Lock

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

dceire wrote: »
    I know I've seen this somewhere before but couldn't find it on the Motorcycle FAQ sticky.

How much roughly dose it cost to get started in biking?
    I have my provisional licence and will be looking for a Bros or Hornet 250 when I get home next month. Can anyone give me an estimated cost for the following:

-Motorbike (Honda Bros or Hornet)
    -Insurance (23 male on Prov Licence)
    -Training
    -Gear (Helmet, Boots etc.)
    -Lock

Thanks
    Bike-check done deal
    Insurance-give em a ring
    Training-€50 per hr
    Gear-buy the best you can afford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Bike can go anywhere from €500 to €20000 depending on what works for you.
    Insurance? On a provisional expect to pay about €2000 and up. Some companies won't even quote you without training.
    You need training. It is worth every penny.
    Gear? You can get started with the stuff in Lidl, when it is available, but spend as much as you can afford on a helmet. Sometimes you'll get a lock and jacket thrown in when you buy a bike from a dealer. One lock is as good as the next one really, but it really depends where you park. A determined theif will crack any lock. Advice? Park next to a more expensive bike :) Clothing and boots? Again, Lidl/Aldi do stuff that are fine to start off, with waterproof suits (2 piece, for under €100) and boots(waterproof, €50) that are good quality copies of more expensive types.
    Done Deal is good for clothing also, if you have an average size.

Priority though is Helmet. Never ever buy a second hand helmet. You don't know what has happened it. Wearing a helmet that has been in a crash, is about as useful as wearing a plastic bag on your head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

Check this out: http://www.hondaireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

2000e and up for insurance , what ever your smoking ill have some, im 23 on an SV650 and my insurance was 923 on a provo:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

TechnoPool wrote: »
    2000e and up for insurance , what ever your smoking ill have some, im 23 on an SV650 and my insurance was 923 on a provo:o

Same for me dude.
    Im on a provisional and driving a restricted bandit 600.
    First year insurance was 795 euro with quinn.

I just renewed for my second year but went with adelaide for 560 euro!
    Well happy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

TechnoPool wrote: »

Delighted to hear it. Keep it quiet though, in case the insurance company realises the SV is one of those "noisy fast motorbike thingys".

Delighted to hear it. Keep it quiet though, in case the insurance company realises the SV is one of those "noisy fast motorbike thingys".

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Sometimes you'll get a lock and jacket thrown in when you buy a bike from a dealer. One lock is as good as the next one really, but it really depends where you park. A determined theif will crack any lock. Advice? Park next to a more expensive bike :)

That's really bad advise tbh. Some locks can be taken apart in seconds, some chains can be cut in seconds by a bolt cutter and some, like mine, need a angle grinder or con-saw to go through and can't be picked. Park your cheaper bike next to mine in a bad spot and watch it disappear. Thief's don't want to have to draw attention with sparks and huge amounts of noise.

I should know, two mopeds and a classic bike were nicked from right beside mine over the last year. My chain and lock haven't a mark on them. This was in the early hours of the morning in a underground car-park when they had all the time in the world to pick or cut the chain. Providing it doesn't make noise.

They also stole the wheels off about 14 cars. And propped them up with bricks in the middle. Twas kinda funny seeing your man standing in front of his SL55 AMG with a smashed up front end from it hitting the ground hard.

if your really on a budget , look around for second hand gear

http://www.biker.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

zapata wrote: »

That seems like a pretty sweet deal. I think I know somebody working at one of those garages too.

Any idea how long this offer will be on for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Well, I'm getting my first bike this evening a Yamaha Virago, so I can tell you what I have spent so far.

Bike - €1200
    Gear - €350 and I still need boots so say €400
    Insurance - €760 prov
    Training - €320

So i'd budget at least €2000 - €3000

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

just started fresh myself,

you can find bros's for around 1100-1300 that are claimed to be mint,
    ones with a bit of work for 800. also if the bike needs restrictions you could add 200-300 for the kit to be fitted and certified (and the insurance companys will ask for the cert)

i got a full set of gear
    shark rsi helmet 4*
    richa weather proof leather jacket
    richa weather proof leather trousers
    alpine start race boots
    richa soft leather gloves
    and a balaclava for winter cost me 1050 (ish)
    personally wouldn't skimp on gear you can always fix a bike but a skin graft will really cost you.
    and insurance quoted for me on the bros was about 1000 TPFT, (so i went with a smaller bike)
    im doing a driving course before my test for €230 3hour course and 3 hours of bike rental for the day of my test (my cbr125 is too small for the A licence test)

i think you would be looking at 3500 - 4000

inchiuvatu wrote: »
    just started fresh myself,

you can find bros's for around 1100-1300 that are claimed to be mint,
    ones with a bit of work for 800. also if the bike needs restrictions you could add 200-300 for the kit to be fitted and certified (and the insurance companys will ask for the cert)

i got a full set of gear
    shark rsi helmet 4*
    richa weather proof leather jacket
    richa weather proof leather trousers
    alpine start race boots
    richa soft leather gloves
    and a balaclava for winter cost me 1050 (ish)
    personally wouldn't skimp on gear you can always fix a bike but a skin graft will really cost you.
    and insurance quoted for me on the bros was about 1000 TPFT, (so i went with a smaller bike)
    im doing a driving course before my test for €230 3hour course and 3 hours of bike rental for the day of my test (my cbr125 is too small for the A licence test)

i think you would be looking at 3500 - 4000

infairness you spend alot of money on more or less top gear ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

The Lidl stuff is fine but probably doesn't have "street cred" - I have a jacket, pants and boots and they are fine. Buy a good lid as the man says "if you have a 9.99 head buy a 9.99 helmet".

Good time of the year to buy gear with the shops having sales - don't know if you can post names here - but in case your not I believe the bike shop over in Balllymount are having a major warehouse sale next Saturday.

keep an eye on the biker.ie site, loads of lads on there selling very good quality gear for a fraction of the price when they upgrade, very helpful on there aswell

Advertisement