Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soccer form idea

Options
  • 09-10-2010 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭

Hi mods, not sure if this the right place or not.

I read more then i post on the soccer form but of late you see some posters either trolling or posting in a thread to get a rise like i have noticed today.

Instead of banning or giving infractions why not ban posters from posting in certain superthread of a club where they continue to try get a rise out other fans?

Just a thought.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

I don't post on the soccer forum, However IMHO banning a troll from a thread leaves them free to move to another thread and continue trolling, meaning the mods have to follow them from thread to thread, which increases the workload on the forum mods.

Easier all round to simply ban them from your forum all together and if they move to another forum, their history will show them to be trolls and a site ban can be requested from the Admins.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You have to work troll really hard to get banned from Soccer if the truth be known, the Mods don't all sing from the same hymn sheet while actualy defining a trolling comment is of course tricky plus if you troll carefully chances are you'll get way with being part of a general warning on the thread but no card. Its why one or two well known names have been trolling for years and have got away with it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It's not possible to ban a user at the thread level. The lowest level at which they can be banned is the forum, then a category ban, followed by a siteban.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

mike65 wrote: »
    You have to work troll really hard to get banned from Soccer if the truth be known, the Mods don't all sing from the same hymn sheet while actualy defining a trolling comment is of course tricky plus if you troll carefully chances are you'll get way with being part of a general warning on the thread but no card. Its why one or two well known names have been trolling for years and have got away with it.

pretty much that.

apparantly the mods have a sensitivity meter which they use to gauge trolling. im not sure of the exact science behind it but its so top secret that they dont even have it on the charter

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Zaph wrote: »
    It's not possible to ban a user at the thread level. The lowest level at which they can be banned is the forum, then a category ban, followed by a siteban.

But you can warn them to not post in a thread again, if it is derailing a thread?

If they post again, then ban?

Don't know if this would work with a superthread which lasts all season, but could certainly work with match threads.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Jazzy wrote: »
    pretty much that.

apparantly the mods have a sensitivity meter which they use to gauge trolling. im not sure of the exact science behind it but its so top secret that they dont even have it on the charter

One man's troll is another man's idiot, and you can't just ban someone for being a bit thick (as much as it would be nice).

Xavi6 wrote: »
    One man's troll is another man's idiot, and you can't just ban someone for being a bit thick (as much as it would be nice).

yes but there are people there that arent thick but are in fact just 'clever' trolls

Jazzy wrote: »
    yes but there are people there that arent thick but are in fact just 'clever' trolls

Absolutely, and they're as obvious as anything but unless folk are prepared to allow the mods to ban on a case by case basis outside of the stringent rules then there's nothing that can really be done.

I'm sure there could be a rule on obvious trolling but who decides what is and what isn't trolling?

Absolutely, and they're as obvious as anything but unless folk are prepared to allow the mods to ban on a case by case basis outside of the stringent rules then there's nothing that can really be done.

I'm sure there could be a rule on obvious trolling but who decides what is and what isn't trolling?

admins with help from some of the mods maybe? it would certainly be tough but i dont think its undoable

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Let some stuff go - half the forum moans about different standards of moderation.

Ban those who troll without breaking any rules - Half the forum moans about over zealous moderation and the forum being too sanitised.

You can't win tbf.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

We have banned users from a thread,not often but I have done it myself 3/4 times.It come of the back of a 'How is our driving' thread a couple of years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Dub13 wrote: »
    We have banned users from a thread,not often but I have done it myself 3/4 times.It come of the back of a 'How is our driving' thread a couple of years ago.

That was my point to be honest, far too much trolling going on. I know some posters have their gripes with mods on the SF so why not maybe think of changing Mod's around on the SF form say every six months in the SF form?

Vanbis wrote: »
    That was my point to be honest, far too much trolling going on. I know some posters have their gripes with mods on the SF so why not maybe think of changing Mod's around on the SF form say every six months in the SF form?

Modding the soccer forum is not something any user can do its a very tough job and I don't see the point in changing good mods for no reason.Do you think we would get a better fourm that way...?

What issues do people have with the soccer mods...?I have been modding that forum for a few years now and have to say over the last 12/18 we have had very few issues,there was a time here when a week would not go by without a huge soccer fourm feedback thread.

Changing Mods every 6 months would be a bad idea imo. I know when I started the experienced guys like Dub13, T4TF and Iago helped me get used to it and I could follow their lead on when/how to infract/ban. So having guys there over a long period of time who can help the new guys coming in is very handy.

Each club should get a month each where 5 representatives from their mafia form the mod group.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Thread should be in SF rather then Feedback tbh. How you organise yourselves is of little interest to anyone outside that forum apart from the jawdropping facepalming banality of it all.

EDIT: Sorry for barking, I need coffee and rum.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    Thread should be in SF rather then Feedback tbh. How you organise yourselves is of little interest to anyone outside that forum apart from the jawdropping facepalming banality of it all.

Feedback has its place for threads like this,nothing like a but of of the forum constructive feedback IMO.

Each club should get a month each where 5 representatives from their mafia form the mod group.

CHD?

This is what feedback is for though isn't it? In that case there should be no feedback forum and everything should be settled in forum. If the 'jawdropping facepalming banality of it all' irks you so much you probably shouldn't have opened a thread about the Soccer Forum...

Yep, I agree that constructive critism on a forum is useful but keep it to the forum.
    Ye are discussing a specific forum topic sitewide. Working out the internal workings of SF does not and should not need the approval of everyone else on the site.
    Seeing arguments pro and con for the creation of temporary mods (depending on their club aligence) bears no significense to other forums.

If you get a working system up and running then you can tell anyone else who hast that specific requirement of your achievments, but until that happens this is really a SF topic only.

Create your own feedback thread in SF - just like most other forums do when looking for constructive critisms.

Frisbee wrote: »
    This is what feedback is for though isn't it? In that case there should be no feedback forum and everything should be settled in forum. If the 'jawdropping facepalming banality of it all' irks you so much you probably shouldn't have opened a thread about the Soccer Forum...
    The Feedback forum is not about watching the SF micromanage itself. Please, don't use the "you shouldn't have opened the thread" argument, it's trivial.

Appologies to the OP for dragging this offtopic.

• Advertisement

Create your own feedback thread in SF - just like most other forums do when looking for constructive critisms.

Every summer in the soccer off season we have a very successful forum feedback thread on which all types of views/opinion's are sought and listened to.We (the soccer mods) then take it all on board and often change things around.

This is outside the remit of that,and its doing no harm IMO.

Yep, I agree that constructive critism on a forum is useful but keep it to the forum.
    Ye are discussing a specific forum topic sitewide. Working out the internal workings of SF does not and should not need the approval of everyone else on the site.
    Seeing arguments pro and con for the creation of temporary mods (depending on their club aligence) bears no significense to other forums.

If you get a working system up and running then you can tell anyone else who hast that specific requirement of your achievments, but until that happens this is really a SF topic only.

Hold up, why are you havin a go at the Soccer forum/mods? Did they create this thread? Do they have the ability to lock it?

If it's not for this forum then the admins should go ahead and lock it (I'm presuming you've reported it for being in the wrong place).

A user posted a question in what I'm sure he assumed was the correct place and the Soccer mods replied accordingly.

Btw, there is a feedback thread in Soccer at the beginning of every season where all users get their spoke in. If this particular user missed it that's unfortunate but I'm sure feedback is more than welcomed via PM.

In short, your rant is pointless, misdirected and causing more problems than needs be.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

The Feedback forum is not about watching the SF micromanage itself. Please, don't use the "you shouldn't have opened the thread" argument, it's trivial.

Appologies to the OP for dragging this offtopic.

That could apply to a lot of threads that appear in feedback, as lots are related mostly to one forum. I don't think I've ever noticed you make this point in any of the other threads, so either you have just reached breaking point, or more likely just don't like these 'boorish soccer types'.

Despite your protestations around the 'trivial' argument, I suggest that is is your best course of action. If it troubles you, I would also suggest you get counselling, as you must lead a life where you have lots of stresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

lol, this from the mod of Fashion & Appearance

That's all I've got. Carry on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,490 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The Ignore button works a treat OP. Will save you many a headache :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

rarnes1 wrote: »
    The Ignore button works a treat OP. Will save you many a headache :)

I'll use it in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,357 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

the ignore feature is ****e, someone always quotes the trolls. I feel sorry for the pool fans for what they have to put up with in their superthread

It doesnt take a brain surgeon to know the trolls are.

Headshot wrote: »
    the ignore feature is ****e, someone always quotes the trolls. I feel sorry for the pool fans for what they have to put up with in their superthread

ive got a super-ignore function with a firefox app. works a treat :) i dont see anything from them

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Headshot wrote: »

Where have you been??? You haven't posted there in ages!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,357 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

monkey9 wrote: »
    Where have you been??? You haven't posted there in ages!!

Im being a lazy bum dont ya know

Im still banned and I have my doubts ill be back

Advertisement