Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soccer form idea

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Its the people who feed the trolls. You will never stop the source as theirs always the few (new and old users) that like to hit nerves. And when people respond to them with a reaction they only love it and it gives them more reason to keep trollin'.

A bit of banter is grand but many times have I seen pure disrespect for forum rules. One such case was in the liverpool thread ("of course" you say) where it resorted to severe name calling on 2-3 occasions by a user. Any where else and they would have been banned, not even a warning was given. I would go and find it, but its buried deep in that thread so maybe he was given a infraction I dont know.

I think its fine otherwise, have the usual trolls ignored and dont respond to obvious troll comments.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    I think its fine otherwise, have the usual trolls ignored and dont respond to obvious troll comments.

this is what I dont get. Ex-mods & users alike probably have the same people on the ignore lists for the same reason (obvious trolls) yet the current mods are basically too afraid to try and tackle it and come up with some bullcrap about 'sensitivity' to try and justify their inaction

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Jazzy wrote: »
    this is what I dont get. Ex-mods & users alike probably have the same people on the ignore lists for the same reason (obvious trolls) yet the current mods are basically too afraid to try and tackle it and come up with some bullcrap about 'sensitivity' to try and justify their inaction

Personally I don't have an ignore list as I think it's as petty as the trolls themselves but that's just me.

Again it all comes back to what the definition of an obvious troll is. Can you conclusively say someone is trolling or is it a matter of opinion? If it's the latter then it'll simply never work as a system.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Personally I don't have an ignore list as I think it's as petty as the trolls themselves but that's just me.

Again it all comes back to what the definition of an obvious troll is. Can you conclusively say someone is trolling or is it a matter of opinion? If it's the latter then it'll simply never work as a system.

yeah I didnt have ppl on ignore for ages but then decided it was better to put 2 ppl on it as it just saves time when reading a thread.. and besides, it was 2 ppl that have been trolling for years.

why dont the mods give us a definition of an obvious troll? they are apparantly the ones in the know on these matters. and xavi, you know as well as I do that i could mention 3/4 names of posters where it isnt a matter of opinion, they are just doing some hard trolling

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Why just ban them from a thread though?

If they are trouble makers then banning them from a thread only creates more work as the user can go on to stir **** in otherr threads,

Bottom line is a user is granted access to the forum, if they want to take the piss then they will loose access and rightly so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Jazzy wrote: »

Because most of the SF trolls are smart enough to not actually troll. They know how to push people's buttons and stay within the letter of the law at the same time. It's quite a skill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

There is blatant trolls from every club, and I'm sure we could all easily name 3-4 at least who have done enough to be warned but aren't punished enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Xavi6 wrote: »

I think I've said it before to you, but I'd be willing to give the mods more power where they can use their own discretion to make these calls.

Advertisement