Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing wheels on a hybrid...Queries

• 09-10-2010 6:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I have to replace the wheels on my hybrid bike due to my own idiocy. I've looked into getting a straight replacement from the shop I bought it in and have been told €240. I'd prefer to spend less than that so I thought I'd shop around online for the parts but seeing as I;m not totally knowledgeable on this I thought maybe I could request a bit of guidance...

From my reckoning, I need 2 wheels, 2 disc brake rotors, 1 cassette, 2 tubes and 2 tyres.

There doesn't seem to be any hybrid specific wheelsets available online so I presume any old 29" MTB disc brake compatible wheels would suit? (it's a Giant hybrid (large size so 21" frame)).

Bike has shimano disc brakes, so I'm presuming I need a Shimano rotor? It's only a metal disc so I'd think I can use any rotor?

I need a new cassette also, the existing one is 8 speed Shimano HG30 11-32. It seems SRAM are a bit cheaper but I don't know if any old 8 speed cassette would do? Also, I kind of liked the gearing ratio with the old cassette so I might stick to it, only thing is I haven't come across an 8 speed HG30 cassette on my (limited) browsing. Is it an unusual / rare cassette?

I've decided on Gatorskins for the tyres but I'm not sure if they come in the right size? The old tyres were 700 x 32 but I think gatorskins only come in smaller sizes than this.

Any advice / suggestions etc welcome

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Hi all.
    From my reckoning, I need 2 wheels, 2 disc brake rotors, 1 cassette, 2 tubes and 2 tyres.
    Sounds about right, so long as skewers come with the new wheels and also add in some rim tape if necessary.
    Hi all.
    There doesn't seem to be any hybrid specific wheelsets available online so I presume any old 29" MTB disc brake compatible wheels would suit? (it's a Giant hybrid (large size so 21" frame)).
    I would have assumed they are 28" or 700c wheels and not 29" as you say you had 700c tyres
    Hi all.
    Bike has shimano disc brakes, so I'm presuming I need a Shimano rotor? It's only a metal disc so I'd think I can use any rotor?
    Any rotors should do, might be restricted on diameter so worth measuring the old ones.
    I need a new cassette also, the existing one is 8 speed Shimano HG30 11-32. It seems SRAM are a bit cheaper but I don't know if any old 8 speed cassette would do? Also, I kind of liked the gearing ratio with the old cassette so I might stick to it, only thing is I haven't come across an 8 speed HG30 cassette on my (limited) browsing. Is it an unusual / rare cassette?
    I'd stick with Shimano due to compatibility, you should be able to find one online or maybe a HG50. The HG30 isn't unusual its just old, try ebay as it nearly always has the hard to find items.

I had a quick look online and no one seems to have 700c disc wheel sections on there website. To be honest 240 euro doesn't seem to bad from your local shop when you breakdown all the bits needed. DO you know what type of wheel they offered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Oh, and why are you replacing tyres, tubes etc? Would you not just swap them onto the new wheels?

What's wrong with the existing wheels? You could consider replacing the rims and having them rebuilt. Not too expensive IIRC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Oh, and why are you replacing tyres, tubes etc? Would you not just swap them onto the new wheels?

What's wrong with the existing wheels? You could consider replacing the rims and having them rebuilt. Not too expensive IIRC.

My money is they were both nicked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭blueythebear

My money is they were both nicked.

Unfortunately, you're spot on.

I thought the wheels were 28" alright but there's enough clearance in the frame to accommodate 29" wheels and seeing as there's f-all online in the line of 28" wheels, I figured 29" MTB wheels will do the same job, if I put on skinny hybrid style tyres.

The local bike shop have offered the original parts which consists of the following:
    Rims Giant CR06 DW aluminium
    Hubs Formula
    Spokes Stainless steel
    Tires Maxxis Detonator 700x32mm

I figure if I go online I should be able to get it all for cheaper than €240 with maybe even a slightly higher spec. Is that realistic or should i just go with local shop and use my Delboy Trotter skills to knock them down on price slightly?

Advertisement