Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study Plan Anyone?

• 09-10-2010 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭

Hey Boards'ers

I'm only in JC but I figured I'd put this question to the LC's to get advice from people who've already done it.

I'm doing (All HL) Science,English,Irish,Maths,Spanish,Woodwork,History,Geography,Religion,Business Studies,CSPE.

So my question is, What would be a good study plan to use from the mid-term until JC(increasing the amounts of study as the time gets closer)
    Some basic points like:

-Amount spent on each subject?
    -How often to study certain subjects?
    -How much to do each night?
    -Hardest Subjects to do well in?
    -Specific stuff to learn for various subjects?

Obviously I don't expect you to answer all these question but I'd appreciate an Answer to some :D
    Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

+Do night study if your school offers it.
    +Junior Cert is easy (:p) to study for so I would suggest doing revision exercises on 1st and 2nd year stuff instead of learning stuff off.
    +I would say revise a chapter for each new one you do (so if you are doing chapter H in science this week then study chapter B on top of that etc.)
    +In subjects that don't follow chapters as such (''topic'' subjects, languages etc) try and do an exam question (essays etc) once a week (on top of what the teacher tells you to do) and ask your teacher to correct it for you.
    +Practice your verbs and phrases in Spanish and Irish.
    +I did nothing all junior cert year and got 4 As and 7 Bs (all honours :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

The institute of education had a study skills thing on today.
    At €130 its wayy too steep. Free to day students though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Does 2 hours a night including homework sound reasonable? Then 2 hours plus homework after the mocks. Don't bother with the questions in your book. Only do exam questions and check the marking scheme. Practice is the key for subjects like Irish, Maths (especially) Spanish and English

Know your science definitions better than you know your name, they will not accept 'in your own words'. In maths, practice (really can't emphasize that enough!) and know your theorems (lovely easy marks) and algebra well. If you don't have algebra working everything else will be more difficult. Also, keep an eye out for the maths seminars in and around November to January (not sure when) that are on in Trinity. I found them brilliant, George Humphrey (the man who writes concise maths) does them. They really cleared up a lot of stuff for me.

Don't study for religion (assuming you're not keeping it up) or cspe at all. They are a waste of time and it doesn't matter what you get in them, focus on real subjects. I consider them to be The Waffle Olympics.

For English, its a hard one to study for or do well in, but reading for leisure will help hugely. And learn to write quickly and tidily. Do brainstorms for everything theory wise (science, English poems/themes, Geography, history) and keep them in a big folder, they are insanely helpful. Also, get into the habit of planning essays, letters etc. They take two seconds and your answer will be ten times better

I can't really tell you how much on each subject, but obviously more on your worst subject and less on your best.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ruadhan

Honestly the junior cert is really easy, most people that even do a lick of work a month beforehand do really well. Personally I didn't study till a two weeks bedorehand or something and got all A's and one B. As long as your not finding any subject particularly difficult and u study a bit, honestly you do not need to study yet, you should be grand.

Advertisement