Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Allowance

Options
  • 09-10-2010 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi, I'm 19 years old and I am currently on jobseekers benefit gettin 150 euro a week. I am currently interested in moving out of my moms house and into an apartment which costs 850 monthly. So I was wondering does anyone know if you would get anythin close to 850 for rent allowance? I am currently looking for a job aswell but just considering other options. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭noxqs

Maximum is €529 for Dublin.

Also - 850 is a bit optimistic when youre without a job, dont you think? I have a job and my 1bed costs me 650. You can rent a room easily for 300ish in Dublin which is probably more within your means until you find a job.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

The max rent allowance for single person is 360 per month approx,SO you might get a large room,bedsit or flat.Why would people work,if they could just get a free apartment on rent allowance.
    google search rent allowance limits single person dublin.The welfare officer,or
    centrecare will give you more info on rent allowance rules etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

You'll have a hard job convincing a CWO that you need accomadation in your circumstances. Better to team up with some friends and share, if you must leave home.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Im not sure your circumstances would make you eligable for rent allowance to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Pretty sure to get rent allowance, you need to be renting for 6 months first, then apply. In any case, many professionals cannot afford a 850 euro flat, no way would RA stretch to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Bear in mind also that 850 is just the rent; take utility bills, food and other living expenses into account and you are not going to afford anything like that kind of rent on 150 a week, even with rent allowance. Id imagine youd most likely struggle to pay 500-600 on that kind of money if Im being honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

And to further add to the your troubles, I wouldn't bank on rent allowance staying as it is after the budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭lalababa

Hiya, first you have to persuade the cwo that you can't live at home any more-best argument would be that you're mother is going to kill you or vice versa .

Then the rough maximum rental that the cwo will let you take up is 88 a week. Of this 88 you HAVE to pay a minimum of 24 pw. Also keep in mind bills-5gas,5electric,sky?,broadband?bins?FOOD etc. Look up citizens info .ie. Good luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Usb modem =20euro per month, connect skybox to a dish ,you get bbc itv,c4 ,true movies ,ten music channels, no sub needed,skybox cost 20 euro on gumtree.ie,and plug in aerial,for rte.tv3,thru uhf connector, use scart in for skybox.theres no single person on ra,living in an apartment as far as i know.

Advertisement