Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PyRo's Horse Lays.

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Never in doubt! The horse couldn't handle the bends, love it!

Bank - €1056 (+€56)

Bets placed - 5
    Successful - 4
    SR - 80%
    Won - €75
    Lost - €19

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Moffo

Well done Pyro...Nice one:)

Cheers Moffo, first time I've bothered with the whole laying thing. It's much easier than picking winners, that's for sure!

The only problem is one bad call costs a lot of the bank, it's only small stakes for now as I'll definitely make mistakes, hopefully only after I've built up a nice few quid. :)

Logically it would seem easier to pick a loser, but realistically, you need to pick short odds losers to limit your liability.. would love to follow these lays. I would trust your vast experience in this. Only layed this one today so far...did'nt see the others in time. Cheers :D

Seems to be easier anyways! I only want to lay anything under 6.0 (5/1). I think I'll leave it for the day now and keep the €40 profit, had a few others lined up but don't want to get greedy just yet. Hopefully there's a few more shorties to lay tomorrow. :) Cheers for the messages mate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

I would love to start laying horses as Im only picking losers these days.
    What website you do it with?
    And how exactly does it work, can you only risk what you have in account i presume ?

Another risky one, and if it loses it'll be my only lay of the day. 10% of the starting bank on the line.

3:20 Huntingdon - Thai Vango - Lay €54.35c @ 2.84 (Liability €100)

From the in-form Twiston-Davies yard, easy winner last time out but that was over fences over a trip 4f shorter. He's obviously in good knick and it was a career best effort to win off 105 but there are too many things against him in my opinion and 2.84 is far too short. He hasn't ran over hurdles for 2 years, only has had 4 career starts over them and never got within 16 lengths of the winner. On his only Handicap Hurdle start he was beaten by 23 lengths in a similar quality race to his and that was off an 11lb lower mark. He has never won back to back races and has been beaten at shortish prices on a number of occasions. He has only ever tried this 3m 2f trip on one occasion before and was well beaten by 41 lengths. Despite the yard being in such good form and the horse obviously in good knick I find it hard to this 2.84 is value for a 9 year old racing over hurdles for the first time in 2 years, there is some decent opposition in this race too and I think that Pairc Na Gcapall at 9.4 is superior value and my idea of the most likely winner, he will stay the trip and has been in good form of late, he likes to plod along from the front and if his jumping doesn't let him down he'll be hard to pass. AP McCoy's horse should have a good chance now on more suitable ground and many others could come into it too. Maximum lay for this one, I could be way off the mark but I wouldn't go near him unless I got 5/1 or bigger, solely based on his previous hurdling exploits.

I would love to start laying horses as Im only picking losers these days.
    What website you do it with?
    And how exactly does it work, can you only risk what you have in account i presume ?

Betfair is the only job for laying.

Yeah you can only risk what you have in the account, it's effectively backing horses to lose.

If the horses is 2/1 and you lay it for €50 you're risking €100 to get the backers €50.

It's just the same as backing the horse to lose at 1/2. You bet €100 to win €50.

Pyro..If you mean risky because your risking 10% of your bank, then fair enough, but your reason for laying this particular horse sounds good to me. Best of luck with it, i'm following....with a lot smaller stake ..fingers crossed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

I got the 2.8 lay early this morning. It's now trading at 3.6. The horses you back go in and the horses you back go out. You'll have to start pm'ing selections!

• Advertisement

Moffo wrote: »
    Pyro..If you mean risky because your risking 10% of your bank, then fair enough, but your reason for laying this particular horse sounds good to me. Best of luck with it, i'm following....with a lot smaller stake ..fingers crossed ;)

That's exactly what I mean mate, the reasons are valid the risk is quite a bit in comparison to the bank but we live in hope. :D
    darsar wrote: »
    I got the 2.8 lay early this morning. It's now trading at 3.6. The horses you back go in and the horses you back go out. You'll have to start pm'ing selections!

That's the way to have it! The price earlier was far too short, I still wouldn't touch him at the 3.45 he's trading at now. Hopefully it'll keep drifting, for peace of mind more than anything.

Hopefully we're onto a loser lads. :)

I see that this race the 3.20 at Huntingdon (as well as the 4.40 at Leicester) is a Bet365 Feature Race, i.e. pick a winner at 4/1 or better and get a free bet. Is there any relevance in that, is that saying its a tough race to call ?? (good for laying)

No idea Moffo, the usually pick one of the tougher races alright so that could be the case.

My lay is trading at 4.1 now. :eek:

Sweeeeeet!

That was easy! I like this stuff. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I see that this race the 3.20 at Huntingdon (as well as the 4.40 at Leicester) is a Bet365 Feature Race, i.e. pick a winner at 4/1 or better and get a free bet. Is there any relevance in that, is that saying its a tough race to call ?? (good for laying)

Ya they're usually tricky handicap races where the favourite might lose,or so they think,and they often get it right. Unless it's a race live on channel 4,pick a winner of 4/1 and above and you get a free bet on the next live channel 4 race and so on.

x PyRo wrote: »
    That was easy! I like this stuff. :pac:

That's what I'm talking about when your horse is being ridden way out and finding nothing. I salute you for handing me that at 2.8!

Well done Pyro . . . Nice one. :)

Cheers lads, we surely got a massive value lay at those odds. Hopefully I can keep it up. Not going to bother laying anything else that I planned to, I'm happy with that profit for the day. Not massive but it's better to slowly build it up, in my opinion!

Bank - €1110.35c (+€110.35c)

Bets placed - 6
    Successful - 5
    SR - 83%
    Won - €129.35
    Lost - €19

You're dead right. Slow and steady does it . . don't get carried away

• Advertisement

Exactly, no point getting greedy, especially at such an early stage. My target is €2k by the end of November, achievable if I can get some luck and my methods continue to work. Hopefully they do.

x PyRo wrote: »
    Exactly, no point getting greedy, especially at such an early stage. My target is €2k by the end of November, achievable if I can get some luck and my methods continue to work. Hopefully they do.

Is that €2k in the Bank or €2k profit :p

€2k in the bank dude! I'll not get too greedy just yet. :p One mistake would wipe out all my profit, it's worth the risk though. I find it's handy to find losers, as you'll see in my backing thread! :(

Double your money would be a great return. Here's hoping you can do that and more. Tread carefully coming into the jumps season... as you say, its all too easy to get wiped out. Don't overstretch your liabilities. We're all behind you.......(not too far though i hope) ;)

You're dead right. Slow and steady does it . . don't get carried away

He is dead right. There is a lack of respect for money in horse racing and betting in general. I risked €40 today to win €19.35. That's almost +€20. If I were to do that 5 days in the week I'd be have +€400 at the end of the month.

I have revamped my whole betting attitude. No more going to the bookies and bet on whatever is on. I'll leave my selections to pyro( if that's ok :) ) because in truth I don't know enough about horse racing.

Any + profit is a positive whether it be 2 or 200.

I have revamped my whole betting attitude. No more going to the bookies and bet on whatever is on. I'll leave my selections to pyro.

No pressure there so Pyro !! ;)

You left out the part that said if his selections lose my money he'll know all about it !

In all seriousness, I'm in for the enjoyment and a hopeful FEW quid. I don't expect and wouldn't have the finance behind me as of yet to bet big so big winnings are for another day.

Let's gets this straight, there is no pressure on Pyro and in fact I couldn't be more grateful since finding his thread last month or two!

He is dead right. There is a lack of respect for money in horse racing and betting in general. I risked €40 today to win €19.35. That's almost +€20. If I were to do that 5 days in the week I'd be have +€400 at the end of the month.

Any + profit is a positive whether it be 2 or 200.

Totally agree with the part I made bold, before I started posting my bets on forums I didn't really care about the money and done it for the thrill of winning more than anything, which meant I lost in the long run. I didn't value the money I was throwing on horses so it really made no odds to me, now I really value it, hence the slow rolling and 1 or 2 bets a day. It's the only way to make money in my opinion and any time I see that + sign I'm happy, even if it's just a few quid.

Valuing my own money has changed my outlook on gambling, it's no longer about the thrill for me, it's all about the cold hard cash, baby. :pac: Although I do get severe enjoyment from backing a winner, or loser in this case!

If there was no pressure I'd get no enjoyment out of it. ;) I like when people value my opinions and you'd be so surprised how posting them here has helped me. I was clueless at the start but learned gradually and now make a fair few quid from it, pressure is the key to succeeding.
    Let's gets this straight, there is no pressure on Pyro and in fact I couldn't be more grateful since finding his thread last month or two!

Thanks Darsar, I love having people such as yourself and everyone else commenting and having some fun, it'd be boring as hell just talking to myself. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Must start following this, especially if your target is 2k :D, suppose I can finally make use of my Betfair account.

• Advertisement

Must start following this, especially if your target is 2k :D, suppose I can finally make use of my Betfair account.

P*ss off, the prices are going in and out enough already without another backing his selections ;)

Advertisement