Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"no, I'm actually an athiest"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

MrStuffins wrote: »
    You have said something that you can not back up. In fact, everyone, including you, knows you can't back it up, but instead of just accepting (got it this time Stu) that you are wrong, you pig-headedly refuse to take it back.

This is not how discussion should be.

I could back it up, I just really don't feel liking trawling through thousands of threads, picking out every single time an athiest has critisised a believer and posting them here because I'd be here til next year theres so many threads.

And don't call me pig-headed please, I find it insulting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

You have said something that you can not back up. In fact, everyone, including you, knows you can't back it up, but instead of just accepting (got it this time Stu) that you are wrong, you pig-headedly refuse to take it back.

This is not how discussion should be.

if audrey's next post does back up what was said via links to numerous threads on religion, i'm just going to take it as a lame cop-out and decree that audrey had no idea of what he/she was talking about.

I could back it up, I just really don't feel liking trawling through thousands of threads, picking out every single time an athiest has critisised a believer and posting them here because I'd be here til next year theres so many threads.

so you arrogantly make a statement that insults atheists everywhere and you're not willing to find ONE LINK that proves you right because you're too lazy? just stop posting in this thread already please.

if audrey's next post does back up what was said via links to numerous threads on religion, i'm just going to take it as a lame cop-out and decree that audrey had no idea of what he/she was talking about.

oh scuid mhór how do you always call it just right?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,189 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

But it doesn't affect you. If I told you that I worshipped the Sun, I cannot see how it impacts you unless I try and convert you. This is true, even in Ireland. As I said, the issues you seem to have are related to the past pervasiveness and legacy of the Catholic Church in education in Ireland, Catholic teaching regarding condoms in a largely Protestant sub-Saharan Africa and American Fundamental Christian groups.

Do you live in Ireland? Are you trying to tell me that the Catholic Church has absolutely NO effect on my life as an Irishman?

What about when kids can't go to school because their religious beliefs don't match witht he religious tradition of the school?

Oppenheimer1, i'd really like to believe that you are going to read this and reply with an actual answer, but i won't. I know from experience that you refuse to engage in conversation with those who have valid points in contradiction of your own, and you will then just reply to other posters with more of your own opinions.

How you can believe that religion does not effect me is ridiculous!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

But it doesn't affect you. If I told you that I worshipped the Sun, I cannot see how it impacts you unless I try and convert you. This is true, even in Ireland. As I said, the issues you seem to have are related to the past pervasiveness and legacy of the Catholic Church in education in Ireland, Catholic teaching regarding condoms in a largely Protestant sub-Saharan Africa and American Fundamental Christian groups.

Why do you think people have a religion if not because that religion encompasses their beliefs about their god? You seem to be suggesting the two are completely separate. People without a religion can certainly believe in a god but I've yet to meet anyone in a religion without a god - that tends to be the crux & basis of their religion in fact and the all pervasiveness and behavioural suggestions are often claimed to be the word of god. So how you go about suggesting god has nothing to do with it is just absurd - that's what religion is, surely, the rules built up around belief in a god? :confused:

Well i don;t believe you, so in the spirit of good discussion, you should either withdraw the statement or back it up.

And you may be insulted by mt pig-headed remark, but it stands!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Why do you think people have a religion if not because that religion encompasses their beliefs about their god? You seem to be suggesting the two are completely separate. People without a religion can certainly believe in a god but I've yet to meet anyone in a religion without a god - that tends to be the crux & basis of their religion in fact and the all pervasiveness and behavioural suggestions are often claimed to be the word of god. So how you go about suggesting god has nothing to do with it is just absurd - that's what religion is, surely, the rules built up around belief in a god? :confused:

Well it could be argued that atheism is a godless religion, at least to some. You're missing my point in that you take issue with the teachings of certain churches, particularly the Catholic Church, but (hopefully) not the fact that they believe in God.

Would you dismiss a person you know to be "spiritual" but keeps their beliefs to them self and doesn't evangelise? Are they worthy of ridicule?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Phegasus

I think everyone is being pretty naive to deny that Atheism doesn't have it's fair share of elitists, which is evident enough even now in the peoples responses to the accusations.

Atheists, from my experience being the most "evangelical" as any fundamental christian. And I know that from experience as I use to tear into Christian groups and Animal rights groups for their flawed logic and lack of evidence.

Tefal could start buying their stock from Ireland considering the amount of black pots and kettles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Well i don;t believe you, so in the spirit of good discussion, you should either withdraw the statement or back it up.

And you may be insulted by mt pig-headed remark, but it stands!

I say this in the spirit of peace and goodwill: after a quick browse, I think the comment Audrey made re. atheist arrogance etc was about posts on the Atheism and Agnosticism thread and not directed at AH members or atheists in general.

Am I right?

• Advertisement

I say this in the spirit of peace and goodwill: after a quick browse, I think the comment Audrey made re. atheist arrogance etc was about posts on the Atheism and Agnosticism thread and not directed at AH members or atheists in general.

Am I right?

This isn't the point though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭bakedbean

It's not so much that athesists are smug. It's just that a significant proportion decide to explore other religions rather than just going for the default one they were born into.

You've probably seen the recent study by the Pew Forum which says: "Atheists and agnostics, Jews and Mormons are among the highest-scoring groups on a new survey of religious knowledge, outperforming evangelical Protestants, mainline Protestants and Catholics on questions about the core teachings, history and leading figures of major world religions."

Personally I've only ever had difficulty from Christians that want to make me 'see the light'. It gets hard to bite your tongue sometimes.

Do you live in Ireland? Are you trying to tell me that the Catholic Church has absolutely NO effect on my life as an Irishman?

What about when kids can't go to school because their religious beliefs don't match witht he religious tradition of the school?

Oppenheimer1, i'd really like to believe that you are going to read this and reply with an actual answer, but i won't. I know from experience that you refuse to engage in conversation with those who have valid points in contradiction of your own, and you will then just reply to other posters with more of your own opinions.

How you can believe that religion does not effect me is ridiculous!

Well you clearly didn't read what I wrote. Most people whether they like it or not will have a least a limited interaction with the CC in their lifetime, most usually through the education system which I won't dispute. In a modern democracy is this right? Probably not.

What I was outlining in the post you quoted is that a personal belief in God (note not religion) should not affect your life what so ever. As I said, if you found out I worshipped the Sun, how would that change your life? It shouldn't.

By the way I do my best to reply to posts... but sometime I miss some. Its not fair to say I'd ignore a post I'd find difficult to reply to at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

I'm an Atheist but I don't care whether the people around me choose to worship a God as long as their cool, balanced people who are fun to hang out with.
    Life is often very scary & unpredictible. There's no guidebook we can look through telling us how we should live our lives & what we should do in the various situations we find ourselves in.
    I view Religion as being a comfort blanket for many. The rules & guidelines that go with Religion offers direction & routine which creates comfort to many. If it makes people happy then knock yourself out, why should I care.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67199546#post67199546

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67393946#post67393946

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67935453#post67935453

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056043374

Here's a few examples of threads where things got insulting (on both sides I admit!). There are many others but again I'd be here forever if I went through everything that's ever been posted boards!

Well you clearly didn't read what I wrote. Most people whether they like it or not will have a least a limited interaction with the CC in their lifetime, most usually through the education system which I won't dispute. In a modern democracy is this right? Probably not.

What I was outlining in the post you quoted is that a personal belief in God (note not religion) should not affect your life what so ever. As I said, if you found out I worshipped the Sun, how would that change your life? It shouldn't.

By the way I do my best to reply to posts... but sometime I miss some. Its not fair to say I'd ignore a post I'd find difficult to reply to at all.

But you see, it's not as simple as you like to put it!

Losts and lots of people have this "personal belief". They all get together and it's called the Catholic Church. And the Catholic Church DOES effect me.

So yes, your personal beliefs effect me!

Am I right?

Absolutly right!

Then what is?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm sorry, you've lost me. I don't see any atheists there proclaiming their superior intelligence and enlightenment? :confused:

none of that struck me as even remotely insulting, even when i put on my politically correct disguise and looked at it from an objective viewpoint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Well it could be argued that atheism is a godless religion, at least to some.

Terrible argument as its a contridiction!

While someone who is an avid believer of the origin of man or the origin of the universe could be said to be religious, an athiest cant as athiesm is the rejection of a belief in a god.

And as i said near the start of the thread, athiesm has NOTHING to do with believeing in evolution by definition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

I take your word on that Mr McSuffins.

I've clearly lost the plot in this thread.

But you see, it's not as simple as you like to put it!

Losts and lots of people have this "personal belief". They all get together and it's called the Catholic Church. And the Catholic Church DOES effect me.

So yes, your personal beliefs effect me!

As I said its the other teachings of the Catholic Church you have issue with not the fact that they believe in God... Or is that an issue for you?

I'm sorry, you've lost me. I don't see any atheists there proclaiming their superior intelligence and enlightenment? :confused:
    none of that struck me as even remotely insulting, even when i put on my politically correct disguise and looked at it from an objective viewpoint.

:rolleyes: How did I know that would be the response?

Reread through each thread carefully and you'll see.

NoQuarter wrote: »
    Terrible argument as its a contridiction!

While someone who is an avid believer of the origin of man or the origin of the universe could be said to be religious, an athiest cant as athiesm is the rejection of a belief in a god.

re·li·gion
    [ri-lij-uhn]
    –noun

The body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices.

It could be argued that atheism fits that definition of religion.

:rolleyes: How did I know that would be the response?

Reread through each thread carefully and you'll see.

OR you could decide not to give us some cryptic ridiculousness and admit that you can't backup your claims.

Well it could be argued that atheism is a godless religion, at least to some.

No you couldn't.

Well, you COULD, but your argument would be invalid!

OR you could decide not to give us some cryptic ridiculousness and admit that you can't backup your claims.

I just gave you some links where the threads had some posts that insulted believers but you've clearly chosen to ignore them.

I'm not going to argue with you anymore, it's not worth the effort tbh.

re·li·gion
    [ri-lij-uhn]
    –noun

The body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices.

It could be argued that atheism fits that definition of religion.

So, thinking that there is no God is a religion? You're being silly!

So, at work, i adhere to a particular set of practices. Is that religion?

When i play sport, i have to adhere by practices... is that religion?

Silly silly silly!

• Advertisement

I'm not going to argue with you anymore........

Because your argument doesn't exist.

At least you THINK it does, and you say it does, but you can't prove it.

This argument is the perfect example of Religion :P

Advertisement