Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"no, I'm actually an athiest"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

re·li·gion
    [ri-lij-uhn]
    –noun

The body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices.

It could be argued that atheism fits that definition of religion.

WIKI wrote:
    Religion is the belief in and worship of a god or gods, or a set of beliefs concerning the origin and purpose of the universe.[1] It is commonly regarded as consisting of a person’s relation to God or to gods or spirits.

link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion

Mate im sorry but your point here is fundamentally wrong im afraid!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

As an agnostic and formerly devout Catholic, it seems to be that both sides of the debate have their excruciatingly annoying tendencies, which are sort of symptomatic of their positions. Some atheists seem to think that their lack of religious belief means that they are more intelligent than religious folks. This can lead to some hilarious pontificating, particularly in that well of human wisdom, youtube comment boards.

On the theistic side, there is that extraordinarly irksome trend towards claiming the moral highground, despite the fact that no evidence has ever backed up the largely held belief that religion is the source of people's basic morality.

Both are equally annoying, and both could be solved with a smack of reality. It's just a pity that's such a hard thing to come by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Well it could be argued that atheism is a godless religion, at least to some. You're missing my point in that you take issue with the teachings of certain churches, particularly the Catholic Church, but (hopefully) not the fact that they believe in God.

Would you dismiss a person you know to be "spiritual" but keeps their beliefs to them self and doesn't evangelise? Are they worthy of ridicule?

I don't think it can be argued that atheism is anything other than a lack of belief in a god. That atheists happen to have other things in common is generally entirely incidental. There is no core tenet or dogma that atheists follow - as the old saying goes: atheism is a religion as not collecting stamps is a hobby.

I appreciate your point that belief in a god in itself doesn't have to impinge on anyone else but I think you are failing to acknowledge the reality that more often than not, it does - usually by virtue of motivating those who set such offensive doctrine and the others who deem it worthy of support.

I don't dismiss anyone's beliefs other than when they choose to post them publicly on an appropriate internet discussion fora. I think you could count my posts on the religion fora on one hand - and even then it's generally only if I spot someone claiming some falsehood about atheists or the A&A forum. There are theists who post on A&A more than some of the most rabid atheists do and seek to be offended by everything they read and then wonder why other posters think they aren't the full deck, which is all a bit silly. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Because your argument doesn't exist.

At least you THINK it does, and you say it does, but you can't prove it.

This argument is the perfect example of Religion :P

And this post is a perfect example of the arrogance and superiority complex I originally posted about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

So, thinking that there is no God is a religion? You're being silly!

So, at work, i adhere to a particular set of practices. Is that religion?

When i play sport, i have to adhere by practices... is that religion?

Silly silly silly!

Beliefs and practices

Belief in a God(s) is not a requirement for something to be considered a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

I just gave you some links where the threads had some posts that insulted believers but you've clearly chosen to ignore them.

I'm not going to argue with you anymore, it's not worth the effort tbh.

your links PROVED NOTHING. don't delude yourself.

And this post is a perfect example of the arrogance and superiority complex I originally posted about.

and this is a perfect example of the pure ignorance you've subjected us to ever since stumbling into this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

As an agnostic and formerly devout Catholic, it seems to be that both sides of the debate have their excruciatingly annoying tendencies, which stem from sort of symptomatic of their positions. Some atheists seem to think that their lack of religious belief means that they are more intelligent than religious folks. This can lead to some hilarious pontificating, particularly in that well of human wisdom, youtube comment boards.

For any who have ever frequented the Christianity forum, this is a great point! Because the mods there come across as some of the most intelligent people you'll meet (in the afterlife of course).

They are terribly knowledgable about their religion and very helpful if you need to know something.

Their beliefs are different, but take it from me, they are very very intelligent over there!

NoQuarter wrote: »
    link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion

Mate im sorry but your point here is fundamentally wrong im afraid!

Can't do better than wikipedia? Maybe try the dictionary, at least you can cite that.

Beliefs and practices

Belief in a God(s) is not a requirement for something to be considered a religion.

Ah, so what "belief" is it that makes me, as an athiest, religious then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Eating pie is a religion.

Converting carbohydrates to energy is a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

and this is a perfect example of the pure ignorance you've subjected us to ever since stumbling into this thread.

Let's be fair, folks - this thread is about whether atheists are arrogant and claim the moral high ground, not about whether God exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Fluffybums

Personally I do not believe there is a god, I can find no evidence for God or at times I see a lot that would indicate a lack of God. Oddly I struggle with this, I think part of me wants to believe. In the modern day and age I do kind of admire anyone who weighs everything up and can still believe, that is faith, in my opinion.

I think it is wrong to ridicule someone else's faith or lack of.

What I will ridicule is someone as an example, who purports to be a scientist and use supposed scientific argument to disprove evolution when that scientific evidence is false and would be seen to be false by someone with junior cert science.

In rural Ireland there is little freedom of relgious belief or lack of unless you have access to transportation and money. I can here the indignation as I write. How often have you heard someone say that they have had to have their child christened to ensure that they cannot be excluded from the local schools on that basis if numbers get tight and because if they don't the child would not be able to go for communion and would be left out which could lead to being picked. The alternative in rural areas is an early start and a drive into the nearest large town. Is this religious freedom or subtle sectarian discrimination?

Let's be fair, folks - this thread is about whether atheists are arrogant and claim the moral high ground, not about whether God exists.

So it's ok for someone to come into the thread, make wild claims and refuse to back them up?

Beliefs and practices

To be fair your being silly now!

Its like saying football is a religion, its more of a play on words that a true meaning. Athiesm is not a religion as its not a belief in something specific!

I think its about time i left this thread, when posts and arguments like this come out things have gone a bit downhill!

Night folks,

God be with you! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Major Lovechild

Just because someone doesn't believe in evolution - even though it is the most rational and best proven equation of the birth and development of all living things on this planet doesn't mean that they are wrong.

It also means that they are blinkered with ignorance.

Wo ist die Gemütlichkeit?

So it's ok for someone to come into the thread, make wild claims and refuse to back them up?

I'm not sure what the wild claim is that everyone is discussing. Is it that atheists are arrogant (or whatever)?

Ah, so what "belief" is it that makes me, as an athiest, religious then?

Look, is there any point in debating with you when you fail to acknowledge the argument that someones personal belief in God has nothing to do with you an your non belief has nothing to do with them.

Your pontificating and condescension towards anyone who disagrees with your world view is exactly what the OP was referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Ya, it's the internets, not the UN. Just ignore them, you'll be happier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm not sure what the wild claim is that everyone is discussing. Is it that atheists are arrogant (or whatever)?
    She claimed that she's seen so many atheists on boards claim to be much more intelligent and more enlightened than theists, or something along those lines!

We're just asking for examples is all.

• Advertisement

it's okay, mrstuffins. our unholy coalition has shown these punks who's boss. let 'em go.

Can't do better than wikipedia? Maybe try the dictionary, at least you can cite that.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/religion

Enjoy!

Look, is there any point in debating with you when you fail to acknowledge the argument that someones personal belief in God has nothing to do with you an your non belief has nothing to do with them.

Lol, so what you're saying is "is there any point talking to you if you won't change your view to mine"?

Also, you never answered the questuion, what belief is it that makes me, an athiest, religious?
    Your pontificating and condescension towards anyone who disagrees with your world view is exactly what the OP was referring to.

It's not pontificating or condescension, it's my opinion. I haven't pontificated at all. If i have, kindly point out the instances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

I love how all the agnostics are trying take the high ground by claiming that both atheists and religious people are arrogant. Big pat on the back for you folks, well done.

No 3.

Yes but, like other posters, you are just saying things and not backong it up.

again, what is this "belief" that makes me, an athiest, religious?

She claimed that she's seen so many atheists on boards claim to be much more intelligent and more enlightened than theists, or something along those lines!

Seems like an uncontroversial comment to me, unless she drew some unsavoury conclusions from it.

Seems like an uncontroversial comment to me, unless she drew some unsavoury conclusions from it.

Yeah, but it's what the thread is about no?

Lol, so what you're saying is "is there any point talking to you if you won't change your view to mine"?

Also, you never answered the questuion, what belief is it that makes me, an athiest, religious?

Well Atheism is a set of beliefs (or non-beliefs) and practices (evangelising - for some), which ironically fits a definition of religion.

It isn't about changing your view, but I want you to explain to me how my Sun worshipping has any effect on your life, and what entitles you to dismiss it if I don't force my views upon you?

• Advertisement

No 3.
    3: the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions

Thanks mate, ya proved my point! Damn that was easy...

Advertisement