Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"no, I'm actually an athiest"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Major Lovechild

Confab wrote: »
    You're in AH, what did you think was going to happen? Go over to the atheism forum if you want self-righteous logical debate.

Indeed! My tuppence-orth goeth o'or the heads of the juves. Ah sure! I'll drink to your health all the same child.

Wo ist die Gemütlichkeit?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

PAULWATSON wrote: »
    These days, it seems everyone is tearing about the place mouthing off about "being an athiest".

Is this some sort of snobbish "new, new Ireland" thing that has passed me bye?

No bible basher myself, however I don't ever want to be confused with an athiest. I don't pride myself on "the scientific method", or believe in evolution for that matter.

One thing always bothered me about evolution, according to the theory the people around you are the fittest "best of the best" after two million years of dog eat dog. Now looking at this lot, what must the prototype have been like, a right clown I'd say.

Are you a smug little athiest?

It's the Origin of the SPECIES

not individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Have you ever... i dunno... like...... learned about Evolution?

How can you "not believe in" evolution? It's like not believing in gravity!

Please don't mistakingly compare gravity to evolution. Gravity can be measured, observed and proven thus it is true, it exists. Evolution has NOT been proven and thus remains merely a theory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

If you find any, do link them to me...until then I'll just have to laugh at the hysterical "militant atheist" label.

If you're an atheist and mention it (which you often do as it happens :pac:) then you're a militant who's trying to threaten our way of life!

Please don't mistakingly compare gravity to evolution. Gravity can be measured, observed and proven thus it is true, it exists. Evolution has NOT been proven and thus remains merely a theory.

OK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I wouldn't go there!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,189 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Maybe I should have spelled it out for you as evangelical atheism, but I mistakenly thought you were intelligent to interpret it as that. I also said some Atheists not all. I will accept that there are other definitions of Atheism as provided by yourself but mine is also valid: dictionary.com

a·the·ism
    [ey-thee-iz-uhm]
    –noun
    the doctrine or belief that there is no god.

Now can you answer my question?

So, you tell me that i an condescending, yet you make comments like the one i have highlighted? Wow!

Maybe i should start a thread on how, because a creationist makes up a silly argument, takes hours to explain themselves and when they do they start trying to qualify their shortcomings by back-tracking and making stuff up, they blame my lack of intelligence!

It seems you have become (or already are) the person this thread is about, minus the lack of belief that is.

So on to your question, i have answered it in a few forms already, but if you'd be kind enough to spell out the exact question you want an answer to, i would be more than happy to oblige and answer for you.

I'd go back and answer from your previous posts, but i seem to be lacking the intelligence to do so :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

If you find any, do link them to me...until then I'll just have to laugh at the hysterical "militant atheist" label.
    Some one who has no faith and kills for a political reason. Im sure there has been many Atheists who have killed in general.

And im sure many religious people have killed without doing it in the name of god. Many for political reasons too.

I'm sorry, but you are wrong here. Evolution has been proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt.

How did you miss it?

• Advertisement

amacachi wrote: »

Fcuk! ROFL proves everything - I'm converted!:rolleyes:

So, you tell me that i an condescending, yet you make comments like the one i have highlighted? Wow!

Maybe i should start a thread on how, because a creationist makes up a silly argument, takes hours to explain themselves and when they do they start trying to qualify their shortcomings by back-tracking and making stuff up, they blame my lack of intelligence!

It seems you have become (or already are) the person this thread is about, minus the lack of belief that is.

So on to your question, i have answered it in a few forms already, but if you'd be kind enough to spell out the exact question you want an answer to, i would be more than happy to oblige and answer for you.

I'd go back and answer from your previous posts, but i seem to be lacking the intelligence to do so :rolleyes:

Huh... I'm no creationist, nor have I indicated a personal belief in God for that matter.

The exact question is what problem you would have with say a Sun worshipping person who quietly goes about their spiritual life without impacting anyone. What is it that you find so objectionable about that? They are doing no one any harm are they? Do you not believe in live and let live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

amacachi wrote: »
    If you're an atheist and mention it (which you often do as it happens :pac:) then you're a militant who's trying to threaten our way of life!

Militant means open to the use of violence...and while some posts/ers do make me want to smack them through the screen, I'm essentially a pacifist - make love, not war, that's me. :D

I'm sorry, but you are wrong here. Evolution has been proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt.

How did you miss it?

You are kidding right???

Huh... I'm no creationist, nor have I indicated a personal belief in God for that matter.

The exact question is what problem you would have with say a Sun worshipping person who quietly goes about their spiritual life without impacting anyone. What is it that you find so objectionable about that? They are doing no one any harm are they? Do you not believe in live and let live?

I wouldn't have a problem if this was an individual and his Sun-Worshipping didn't effect me directly. Go on ahead Mr/Sun Worshipper AS LONG AS YOU ARE NOT INFRINGING ON MY LIFE.

However, this is not what we're talking about. We're talking about religions, churches, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Hedman

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Cliff notes?

Successful troll is successful.

The question should be on people who aren't sure on evolution is if evolution isn't correct, then what is it. How did animals evolve to suit environments etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Some one who has no faith and kills for a political reason. Im sure there has been many Atheists who have killed in general.

And im sure many religious people have killed without doing it in the name of god. Many for political reasons too.

Okay - but you are getting further and further from the initial statement that I was responding to; of "militant atheist" - which would be someone using or willing to use violence for atheism. I can see the odd forum, some beers meet ups and the odd paper-back but I've yet to witness any of those militant atheists ...

You are kidding right???

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Um, you do realise that gravity is actually very poorly understood. We have to yet to find a graviton and or the much hypothesised Gravitational Waves all we have attained thus far for the latter is indirect confirmation, for the former we have nothing. You could probably say gravity hasn't been measured, observed or proven. Intelligent Falling all the way.

• Advertisement

How did you miss it?

No scientific theory is ever considered proved beyond a shadow of a doubt. When it is it becomes scientific law. Evolution is scientific fact in that the overwhelming amount of evidence points to its existence but it hasn't been 100% verified. The large amount of evidence behind it, it is de-facto law but there is a minuscule chance something could better explain how life as we know it came to exist.

Okay - but you are getting further and further from the initial statement that I was responding to; of "militant atheist" - which would be someone using or willing to use violence for atheism. I can see the odd forum, some beers meet ups and the odd paper-back but I've yet to witness any of those militant atheists ...
    Might happen one day, when the great crusade comes to whipe religion out when its on its knees. Who knows..

No scientific theory is ever considered proved beyond a shadow of a doubt. When it is it becomes scientific law. Evolution is scientific fact in that the overwhelming amount of evidence points to its existence but it hasn't been 100% verified. The large amount of evidence behind it, it is de-facto law but there is a minuscule chance something could better explain how life as we know it came to exist.

Jaysus, are we gonna nit-pick all day here lads! :rolleyes:

There's also a miniscule chance that the world doesn't exist, that it is all a figment of your imagination.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

PAULWATSON wrote: »
    If it was so eaily proved, would there be such an ongoing debate on the topic?

You'd think so wouldn't you, but no, idiots exist.

Militant means open to the use of violence...and while some posts/ers do make me want to smack them through the screen, I'm essentially a pacifist - make love, not war, that's me. :D

Pussy. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

No scientific theory is ever considered proved beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Danone are going to sue you for that. Broadcaster and a Mum's anecdote is valid scientific proof.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

You'd think so wouldn't you, but no, idiots exist.
    AUDREY, here it is^^^

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Its proven with about the same certainty that the Earth revolves around the Sun. Its fact. evolution has been observed in the laboratory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

NoQuarter wrote:
    the problem I have with evolution (and i dont refute it, i just havent studied it enough) is that I think that even though the evidence is solid, the human race itself just has so much to advance still that I wouldnt be surprised if there was another explanation that we cant see yet due to lack of technology. And ive watch many documentaries on darwin, dawkins and evolution!
    NoQuarter wrote:
    I dont believe in any god myself but im afraid im not 100% sold on evolution either.

I dont think were smart enough at the very moment to think we have it down 100%. Same as the big bang..not sold on that either!

Copycat!

Perhaps you will understand athiesm better now considering we agree on some points too, it proves that athiesm is not a set of beliefs and merely a common refusal to believe in a god but yet athiests have completely different ideas of other things.

So were not religious in our thoughts, we just have one common "belief" to use your word that a god doesnt exist.

Advertisement