Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"no, I'm actually an athiest"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

JohnathanM wrote: »
    There was a guy called Jesus, it seems. He wasn't the son of God, though, and neither were the hundreds of other people running around claiming to speak for Him. Just a dude, running a scam. Perhaps mentally ill.

:D I'm stealing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

I think you're doing an admirable job MrStuffins. Its like extreme forum debating.

A debate that will never be solved in our lifetime:P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

JokerD wrote: »
    Well these are people who don't have a logical explaination to certain questions about their Athiesm. But people on here have gave their reasons so fair play. I can't stress enough I'm not having a go at people here as I've said numerous times I just wanted to hear informed responses to a question I've heard people struggle to answer.

You see, most of the time (in my experiences, all of the time) when you encounter an Athiest, they have reached this conclusion through logic and thought, so they will always have a logical explanation as to why they don't believe.

It's the people who believe blindly without questioning and who discourage questioning because their beliefs don't stand up to scrutiny, they are the ones who have problems!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    You see, most of the time (in my experiences, all of the time) when you encounter an Athiest, they have reached this conclusion through logic and thought, so they will always have a logical explanation as to why they don't believe.

It's the people who believe blindly without questioning and who discourage questioning because their beliefs don't stand up to scrutiny, they are the ones who have problems!

That's exactly why I used the term 'claiming' earlier and you explained it perfectly in the second paragraph.

I've no problem whatsoever in what people believe in, the only thing I have a bit of a grievance with is when people mock someone for being a Catholic and having a faith.(not saying you're doing this;)).

That's exactly why I used the term 'claiming' earlier and you explained it perfectly in the second paragraph.

I've no problem whatsoever in what people believe in, the only thing I have a bit of a grievance with is when people mock someone for being a Catholic and having a faith.(not saying you're doing this;)).

I wouldn't do this in general, but what does bother me is when people make big decisions, sometimes life changing decisions, based on this "faith"!

I, in good conscience, find it difficult to let things like this go without getting my word in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 potterycourse

Well these are people who don't have a logical explaination to certain questions about their Athiesm. But people on here have gave their reasons so fair play. I can't stress enough I'm not having a go at people here as I've said numerous times I just wanted to hear informed responses to a question I've heard people struggle to answer.

I think you have to catch them at midnight mass before you can be sure they're fake atheists. Giving and receiving presents is inconclusive.

They don't have to justify gift-giving in December at any rate. It's a non-point. If they do try to articulate and fail they may still be atheists, just inarticulate ones.

'Athiest' defn: Person that does not believe in God or gods. May or may not be able to explain why. Probably likes presents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

If you are an atheist then Sunday is a duvet day. I can see that that would convert a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

What a thread to read on a Saturday night!

Some incredibly ridiculous statements being made in it, but to answer the OP.

I do see the point of view. Really I do. But I find it incredibly hypocritical to ask questions about why somebody would consider themselves an athiest. You spend your time either preaching religious bullshít or soaking it up. Please don't question why somebody doesn't take it on board.

I'm just going to stop, because I'm going to repeat things that have been done in the thread and forum so many times.

Plus, I have to be up early for mass.

Plus, I have to be up early for mass. (lie)

I wouldn't do this in general, but what does bother me is when people make big decisions, sometimes life changing decisions, based on this "faith"!

I, in good conscience, find it difficult to let things like this go without getting my word in!

Yes of course, it's a strange topic as it'll never be agreed upon. Personally I'm by no means a preacher type. I just go to Mass on a Sunday as I've done since I was a child. I'm Catholic and just find some attitudes a bit annoying, some people can be very patronising towards me when I say I go to Mass, which is unreal considering we're in a Catholic country. It's only then I may question their reasoning on their beliefs.

I think you have to catch them at midnight mass before you can be sure they're fake atheists. Giving and receiving presents is inconclusive.

They don't have to justify gift-giving in December at any rate. It's a non-point. If they do try to articulate and fail they may still be atheists, just inarticulate ones.

'Athiest' defn: Person that does not believe in God or gods. May or may not be able to explain why. Probably likes presents.

Funny thing is I've seen the Midnight Mass thing happen:D

• Advertisement

kincsem wrote: »
    If you are an atheist then Sunday is a duvet day. I can see that that would convert a few.

Or you could create your own religion like Homer Simpson

Yes of course, it's a strange topic as it'll never be agreed upon. Personally I'm by no means a preacher type. I just go to Mass on a Sunday as I've done since I was a child. I'm Catholic and just find some attitudes a bit annoying, some people can be very patronising towards me when I say I go to Mass, which is unreal considering we're in a Catholic country. It's only then I may question their reasoning on their beliefs.

I know lots of people who go to mass. Some people use their religion as a crutch, some people even go to mass for docial reasons.

It's all good. But it can be bad! Some religions can bring it too far (like when JWs refuse blood.......... too far)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

I've often wondered about this 'Catholic country' malarkey.
    There was me thinking this was a secular Republic which respected all of its citizens equally, of any faith and none.

I know lots of people who go to mass. Some people use their religion as a crutch, some people even go to mass for docial reasons.

It's all good. But it can be bad! Some religions can bring it too far (like when JWs refuse blood.......... too far)

I'm not getting into all that, I'm just a lad who goes to Mass on Sunday that would like to do it and not be mocked:)

Funny thing is I've seen the Midnight Mass thing happen:D

Keeping Mum happy? Otherwise, yeah, kudos you spotted a fake athiest!
    Or you could create your own religion like Homer Simpson

Maximum Occupancy really brings people together, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Jaysus, are we gonna nit-pick all day here lads! :rolleyes:

Ah, its 'nit picking' when somebody says something that shows your points to be invalid, but yet it's then fine for you to argue semantics about the use of the word 'theory'.
    There's also a miniscule chance that the world doesn't exist, that it is all a figment of your imagination.

:rolleyes:
    So wait..... what you're saying is...... there is NO evidence for evolution?

I'm sorry, you have to be trolling! There is no way i'm having THIS conversation hahaha!

Trolls used to be so much better back in the day!

Users are not trolls just because they don't roll over and agree with you.

'Evolution' is not just a loose term that is saying humans, plants and animals evolve over time but we are not sure why and that there is a possibilty that they could all be connected in some way.

If that was the case, then nobody would have a problem with that 'Theory'.

However, Darwin's 'Theory of Evolution' is much much more than that.

Darwin puts forth the "fact" that ALL life stems from a single source!

This is the absolute backbone of the Theory of Evolution and there is NO EVIDENCE to back this up, perhaps there may never be.

Hey, that's something that you may have in common with Christians actually, you both believe in something that can quite possibly never be proven.

I've often wondered about this 'Catholic country' malarkey.
    There was me thinking this was a secular Republic which respected all of its citizens equally, of any faith and none.

Think you're reading a tad much into that. Nothing mentioned whatsoever about not treating all citizens equally so I've no idea where you concluded that from. Just the fact that Ireland is predominatly a Catholic country that's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Ah, its 'nit picking' when somebody says something that shows your points to be invalid, but yet it's then fine for you to argue semantics about the use of the word 'theory'.

:rolleyes:

'Evolution' is not just a loose term that is saying humans, plants and animals evolve over time but we are not sure why and that there is a possibilty that they could all be connected in some way.

This is the absolute backbone of the Theory of Evolution and there is NO EVIDENCE to back this up, perhaps there may never be.

Hey, that's something that you may have in common with Christians actually, you both believe in something that can quite possibly never be proven.

Just out of interest - and I have a feeling I may already know the answer - have you studied evolution or read either "the origin of species" or "the descent of man?"....

Just out of interest - and I have a feeling I may already know the answer - have you studied evolution or read either "the origin of species" or "the descent of man?"....

Ah, ya gots me.

No flies on you fellers.

I be thinking I knows a things or too, but I guess y'all folks with yer darn book smarts and all, be too darn clever for my sorts.

I'll be on my way now, maybes I should do me some book learning, like you city folk.

Y'all be taking care now, y'hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'm still chuckling at the "militant athiest" claim, thats just comedy gold.

• Advertisement

Ah, ya gots me.

No flies on you fellers.

I be thinking I know a things or too, but I guess you folks with book smarts all, be too darn clever for me I to be guessing.

I'll be on my way now, maybes I should do me some book learning, like you city folk.

and we're the condescending ones :rolleyes:

he (is it a he Ickle? apologies if not)asked you a simple question tbh

I'm by no means a preacher type [...] people can be very patronising towards me when I say I go to Mass

Well, in that case tell them to 'fu*k off!'.

Good night everyone!

Well, in that case tell them to 'fu*k off!'.

How Christian.

krudler wrote: »
    and we're the condescending ones :rolleyes:

Yes.

Hence the reply in the tone of intellectually challenged slack jawed sister shagging hillbilly.

When atheists and Dawkins sycophants start treating those on the opposite side of the debate with a little respect, instead of the usual patronizing comments, maybe that won't be necessary.

krudler wrote: »
    How Christian.

Fair point. He probably wants to go PA with something like "I'll say a prayer that one day your head will achieve a normal shape, God bless you".

At no point was my argument shown to be invalid.

No, but it is possible that they are trolls when they show complete ignorance and say things like "There is no ecidence".

Thats a ridiculous thing to say, so either the user is completely ignorant, or a troll!

Where have i mentioned Darwin's Theory of Evolution?

Also, every single post in this thread from you has been of the most condescending nature. It's hilarious! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Ah, ya gots me.

No flies on you fellers.

I be thinking I know a things or too, but I guess you folks with book smarts all, be too darn clever for me I to be guessing.

It's absurd to have to ask because surely anyone claiming that Darwin put forward X, Y & Z as "fact" would do so only if they knew he had - surely they wouldn't just pull something out their hat? That would just be ludicrous; made doubly so by employing a southern drawl and sarcastically making out they were being made out to be stupid by anything other than their own bold statements. :)

Ironically, or not as the case may be, the theory of evolution and evolutionary biology have evolved beyond darwinian proposition based on his observations aboard the beagle in the 1830's.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭SparKing

I'm amazed any self respecting atheist would persist in attempting to justify their lack of belief in fairy tales to religious/spiritual people.
    Does anybody here know anyone who was convinced to disbelieve in god(s)?
    It'd be like trying to convince a Cork person that Cork isn't the centre of the Universe when everyone knows Galway is.

When atheists and Dawkins sycophants start treating those on the opposite side of the debate with a little respect, instead of the usual patronizing comments, maybe that won't be necessary.

Hahahaha, you Sir are hilarious!!!

• Advertisement

Dawkins is a twat, so dont assume all athiests/non believers agree with everything he says, his arguments maybe, but not his methods.

Advertisement