Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"no, I'm actually an athiest"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭PAULWATSON

orourkeda wrote: »
    It was a case in point I believe

I'd say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Phegasus

Ronin247 wrote: »
    Thank God I am an atheist.

Thank god I'm an atheist too.

Or if we're going to twist our knickers on technicalities, I'm agnostic by scientific default.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Im a human being.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,189 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

How much do you know of evolution? Just out of interest.

Quite a lot actually.

I have read many books on the subject and my apartment smells of rich mahogony!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

PAULWATSON wrote: »

One thing always bothered me about evolution, according to the theory the people around you are the fittest "best of the best" after two million years of dog eat dog. Now looking at this lot, what must the prototype have been like, a right clown I'd say.

Well we're supposedly made in gods image so....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

There isn't an ongoing debate, except from ignorant theists.

"ignorant theists" and comments like it do nothing for your argument.

I'm not suggesting that your argument is incorrect (or correct for that matter) but resorting to what is little more than a cheap shot is not in anyones best interest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

The amount of people who waste their time dealing with religion and Atheisim is staggering. Who cares, just wait until you die.

Now politics, thats different. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Look, Einsteins theory of Evolution is rock solid.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Quite a lot actually.

I have read many books on the subject and my apartment smells of rich mahogony!

Can't you do better than Will Ferrell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

These days, it seems everyone is tearing about the place mouthing off about "being an athiest".

Is this some sort of snobbish "new, new Ireland" thing that has passed me bye?

No bible basher myself, however I don't ever want to be confused with an athiest. I don't pride myself on "the scientific method", or believe in evolution for that matter.

One thing always bothered me about evolution, according to the theory the people around you are the fittest "best of the best" after two million years of dog eat dog. Now looking at this lot, what must the prototype have been like, a right clown I'd say.

(paedo this, paedo that, blah, blah, catholic church, blah, had enough, blah, superstition, blah, we're so educated, blah.)

Are you a smug little athiest?

What a load of rubbish....where do i start???
    Actually i couldn't be bothered....

• Advertisement

While i agree with your sentiment, there is no getting away from the fact that those who argue against Evolution are completely ignorant to the FACT of Evolution.

You can show these people over and over but they remain ignorant. It's actually kinda frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

smug little athiest, the same boy would have been a rampant church goer had he been born in the 1930's.

make random assumptions much

anyways aren't you the smug one coming on here goading atheists into reacting to you.

i'm sure if you were born in the year 2456 you would be an atheist and proud!!!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I don't pride myself on "the scientific method", or believe in evolution for that matter.

Evolution isn't a faith thing, you don't get to not "believe in it". It's observed and documented:confused: Do you even know what you "don't believe in"? Or are you trying to start some new "I don't believe in evolution" trend?

The reason we're not all super fit specimens of humanity, is that we have the technology and medicine to just keep pretty much everyone alive for a lot longer.

zuroph wrote: »
    Look, Einsteins theory of Evolution is rock solid.

One of these superior, super fit types might take that bait!

Can't you do better than Will Ferrell.

There's better than Will Ferrell?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm not suggesting that your argument is incorrect (or correct for that matter) but resorting to what is little more than a cheap shot is not in anyones best interest
    I think you'll find ''ignorant theists'' is a perfectly apt description.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Well I'm an atheist but I do hate the sound of saying well actually I'm an atheist so I usually just say that I dont believe in any of that craic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

Conor108 wrote: »
    Evolution isn't a faith thing, you don't get to not "believe in it". It's observed and documented:confused: Do you even know what you "don't believe in"? Or are you trying to start some new "I don't believe in evolution" trend?

The reason we're not all super fit specimens of humanity, is that we have the technology and medicine to just keep pretty much everyone alive for a lot longer.

i don't believe in equations!

oh no wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

Well what else are atheists supposted to do but be smug when confronted with this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056055679

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Are you a smug little athiest?
    ... he said, smugly.

• Advertisement

While i agree with your sentiment, there is no getting away from the fact that those who argue against Evolution are completely ignorant to the FACT of Evolution.

You can show these people over and over but they remain ignorant. It's actually kinda frustrating.

I'll readily admit to not being particularly knowledgable on the subject and don't really know enough on ot to form an opinion on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I'm not an atheist, I'm a very naughty boy.

Conor108 wrote: »

Deep, deep thinker! I'd have thought that your millions and millions of years of evolution would have sorted everything out, no need for any medicine.

I think you'll find ''ignorant theists'' is a perfectly apt description.

Of whom? Me or people who believe in God.

smk89 wrote: »
    Well what else are atheists supposted to do but be smug when confronted with this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056055679

That was a parody.

Mr. PAUL WATSON

It's funny how you say those around you are clowns, however, you come onto the interwebs and say "well, despite the millions of hours of research, the hundreds of thousands of papers and books written on the subject, the incredible amount of documented and physical ecidence that exists etc..... i don't "'believe' in Evolution because i know a few stupid people"

Well sone Sir, well done indeed!

There's better than Will Ferrell?

I'm afraid there is.

There are better movies out there than Talladega nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

These days, it seems everyone is tearing about the place mouthing off about "being an athiest".

Is this some sort of snobbish "new, new Ireland" thing that has passed me bye?

No bible basher myself, however I don't ever want to be confused with an athiest. I don't pride myself on "the scientific method", or believe in evolution for that matter.

Most churches accept evolution, and all accept the scientific method. From what you say about evolution, you see to know almost nothing about it.

As for atheism, the main reason people have to go on about it is because religious power has a very great influence in society - from church-controlled schools and hospitals, to anti-blasphemy laws, religiously-motivated terrorism, to the cosy indemnity agreement the RCC got (10% of the abuse compensation paid by them, 90% by the state - agreed by the Catholic (and alleged Opus Dei member) Michael Woods).

As for mocking religious people, it's difficult not to. When you don't believe in God, it does seem incredibly foolish to pray to them, or to obey their priests.

Of whom? Me or people who believe in God.

No. Most people who believe in God accept evolution.
    The people who don't accept it by and large are ignorant of it.

• Advertisement

I'll readily admit to not being particularly knowledgable on the subject and don't really know enough on ot to form an opinion on it.

Well at least you admit that.

And surely if you discovered that Evolution was fact, you would not just refute it just because it might clash with your religious views, am i correct?

Advertisement