Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"no, I'm actually an athiest"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'm not specifically talking to you.

I debate alot in the A&A forum on here and any debate I EVER have, I am assumed to be Catholic.

If you look at the majority or the arguments in the A&A forum, it's about how stupid the Catholic Church is.

If you have a conversation with one of the trendy atheists in real life, their argument will focus on how stupid the Catholic Church is.

What I am trying to say is,is that this makes no sense at all in the idea of atheism. Drives me mad!

No really, what the fcuk are you talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Loving the tags kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Jakkass wrote: »
    As someone who would believe that Western Europe has gone very much in the wrong direction, I can't see a leaning towards not believing as being progressive. Actually, I would probably go as far as saying that it is regressive.

That's an interesting arguement to make. I'd like though, what state do you believe we have regressed from? If there has to be regression, it has to be from a certain point, so what part of Western Europe's history would you identify with that point?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

How come atheists are so often on the offence and rarely on the defence then?

Rarely on the defence? Tell me, who started this thread and for what purpose?

edit: not to mention the weekly "You atheists do this!" thread we get in A&A
    Maybe because spiritual people are more respectful of other's beliefs?

See above.
    I could think of a load of things I could question you about the intricacies of atheism, but I choose not to as I think 'live and let live'., and I think everyone is on their own learning path and I respect that.

Really? Your posts in A&A say otherwise...
    Who are you to tell some-one else they are misguided?

I live in the free world and have every right to question those who I feel are misguided and/or wrong. This applies to opinions on politics, sport, science, current affairs, popular culture, film trivia and even religion.
    Thanks for putting that so eloquently Galvasean :rolleyes:

Actually my post was twofold.

1) It was me acting as one of those atheists whom can't tell the difference between Catholic and any other sort of theism (a sort of joke at the expense of atheism).

2) I have read your posts in A&A and it appears you have neglected to mention those who know fully well you do not subscribe to Catholocism but manage to debate with you hjust fine without the use for strawmanning. Interesting that you never mention them...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I'm not specifically talking to you.

I debate alot in the A&A forum on here and any debate I EVER have, I am assumed to be Catholic.

If you look at the majority or the arguments in the A&A forum, it's about how stupid the Catholic Church is.

If you have a conversation with one of the trendy atheists in real life, their argument will focus on how stupid the Catholic Church is.

What I am trying to say is,is that this makes no sense at all in the idea of atheism. Drives me mad!

Well you are going to have to reconcile with the fact that, in Ireland (after all, this IS an Irish website), the VAST majority of creationists are members of the RCC.

If you are not a member of the RCC and someone presumes you are, maybe you could try to correct them rather than trying to use their presumption as some sort of tool to say............. whatever it is you're trying to say!

You're still making no sense to me in the context of the thread. You obviously haven't read it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Malty_T wrote: »
    Average life expectancy 100 plus

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

If someone told you they believe in unicorns and talk to invisible ones every day, you'd probably also become very puzzled and find it hard to talk to them about it in a respectful, understanding manner.

If it gave them comfort in their life then i would have no problem with it.
    There is nothing wrong with being spiritual or religious.

I believe in God, does that make me a bad person?

I do not practise any religion but I do say God bless a lot, and I think I mean it.

Which god? its a genuine question. what god suits your idea of what a god should or shouldnt be the most?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

I believe in God, does that make me a bad person?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

ragg wrote: »

But you would still think they were deluded, no?

• Advertisement

But you would still think they were deluded, no?

Why?

:rolleyes:

the oldest Cop-Out in the book.

Religion is about MUCH MORE than comfort as you well know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Galvasean wrote: »
    Rarely on the defence? Tell me, who started this thread and for what purpose?

edit: not to mention the weekly "You atheists do this!" thread we get in A&A

See above.

Really? Your posts in A&A say otherwise...

I live in the free world and have every right to question those who I feel are misguided and/or wrong. This applies to opinions on politics, sport, science, current affairs, popular culture, film trivia and even religion.

Actually my post was twofold.

1) It was me acting as one of those atheists whom can't tell the difference between Catholic and any other sort of theism (a sort of joke at the expense of atheism).

2) I have read your posts in A&A and it appears you have neglected to mention those who know fully well you do not subscribe to Catholocism but manage to debate with you hjust fine without the use for strawmanning. Interesting that you never mention them...

Obviously they know I'm not Catholic after I have told them. I'm talking about any new atheist I meet, if I say I believe in God, I get hit with a barrage of insults about the Catholic Church. Gets tiring after a while...

What i found funny is how aggressive athiesm has become. Most athiests these days try and force their beliefs more than any religious person does.

I find it peculiar that they feel the need to do this, I think it is probably a deep rooted fear of being wrong and going to hell

Calling bullsh1t on that right now, how many athiests have called to your door or stopped you on the street trying to convince you god doesnt exist? not one I'm betting.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

krudler wrote: »
    Which god? its a genuine question. what god suits your idea of what a god should or shouldnt be the most?

Good question, I don't know really, more that I feel it. I believe in spirits, that they exist. I believe that we are energy, and energy can never be destroyed, it only changes forms.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Malty_T wrote: »
    True.
    So you are an agnostic theist?

No, she's a catholic who doesn't agree with any of Catholicism's teachings. Didn't you know that? :p

MrStuffins wrote: »

Like what exactly? What is it about "religion" that you have a problem with?

Why?

Because their set of beliefs are total lies?

MrStuffins wrote: »

Religion treats people like mushrooms, feeds em sh1t and keeps them in the dark.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

No really, what the fcuk are you talking about?

Care to actually ask me about a specific point? Or is this how you structure your arguments?

Yes, I admit it I am on a short fuse about atheists today, we're all human! Sometimes they just really really annoy me...

• Advertisement

Einhard wrote: »
    That's an interesting arguement to make. I'd like though, what state do you believe we have regressed from? If there has to be regression, it has to be from a certain point, so what part of Western Europe's history would you identify with that point?

Technically, humanity has gone from a state of order into disorder if the thermodynamic and cosmological arrows of time are to be believed. Our world has expanded from order into disorder over many millennia.

But that's a whole other kettle of fish, I know...

Like what exactly? What is it about "religion" that you have a problem with?

Wait...... you are now claiming that religion is ALL about comfort?

Are you serious?

Calling bullsh1t on that right now, how many athiests have called to your door or stopped you on the street trying to convince you god doesnt exist? not one I'm betting.

A religious freak (and he was a freak) called to my door the other day and started insulting me when I told him I think evolution makes a lot more sense than creationism.

No athiest has ever called to my door asking to speak about evolution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

As someone who would believe that Western Europe has gone very much in the wrong direction, I can't see a leaning towards not believing as being progressive. Actually, I would probably go as far as saying that it is regressive.

Nannying discourse, or not nannying discourse has nothing to do with religiosity.

I didn't think for a minute you'd agree that moving away from religiosity would be progressive - I think it is, I think stopping relying on ancient texts and supporting man-made prejudices can only be considered progressive.

I'd have to disagree that for centuries now the powers that be have been guided, leaned on and dictated to by various religions - until very recently church and state entwinement was the very definition of nannying discourse - in everything from contraception to school curriculum.
    Gah. I hate the term dark ages, as it results from an ignorance of the Middle Ages (after studying Renaissance philosophy it makes a lot more sense). That aside, I get your point!

It results from popular linguistic usage and the connotation it depicts, I appreciate it's not a popular term for historians, however, I did manage to avoid using the reformation as the point of enlightenment. :pac:

Care to actually ask me about a specific point? Or is this how you structure your arguments?

Yes, I admit it I am on a short fuse about atheists today, we're all human! Sometimes they just really really annoy me...

Let me ask you a question...... have you read the thread?

What i found funny is how aggressive athiesm has become. Most athiests these days try and force their beliefs more than any religious person does.

I find it peculiar that they feel the need to do this, I think it is probably a deep rooted fear of being wrong and going to hell

I don't know of any atheists that call door to door to tell you about Jesus. Our reaction is normally to "in your face" religious people.

Also, I wouldn't be afraid of going to this "hell" you speak of, it'll be something to do, because I currently don't have anything planned for after I die.

Why?

Because they believe in and talk to invisible unicorns.

I know you secretely agree with me...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Obviously they know I'm not Catholic after I have told them. I'm talking about any new atheist I meet, if I say I believe in God, I get hit with a barrage of insults about the Catholic Church. Gets tiring after a while...

Maybe you should hang out with more intelligent atheists?

...or just stop strawmanning.

[...] Yes, I admit it I am on a short fuse about atheists today, we're all human! Sometimes they just really really annoy me...

Lmao! :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Often go around telling people you believe in god do ya?

Advertisement