Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"no, I'm actually an athiest"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

A religious freak (and he was a freak) called to my door the other day and started insulting me when I told him I think evolution makes a lot more sense than creationism.

No athiest has ever called to my door asking to speak about evolution.

Bingo, yet people have this notion that there are these "militant athiests" out there forcing their lack of belief which is also a belief in the lack of beliefs down peoples throats, its nonsense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Let me ask you a question...... have you read the thread?

Yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

A religious freak (and he was a freak) called to my door the other day and started insulting me when I told him I think evolution makes a lot more sense than creationism.

No athiest has ever called to my door asking to speak about evolution.

That's because Athiests won't use their non belief as a way to ultimately get your money!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

ragg wrote: »
    What i found funny is how aggressive athiesm has become. Most athiests these days try and force their beliefs more than any religious person does.

I find it peculiar that they feel the need to do this, I think it is probably a deep rooted fear of being wrong and going to hell

Well you're now the third person I'll ask about this. Do you have actual evidence for your statement that "most atheists" try and force their beliefs more than religious people do. How large is the proportion of atheists who are anti-religion and shoving their beliefs down others people throat? Be honest.

One person said it was a minority, another said statistics are not necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

krudler wrote: »
    Calling bullsh1t on that right now, how many athiests have called to your door or stopped you on the street trying to convince you god doesnt exist? not one I'm betting.

I don't think anyone has ever called to my door trying to convince me god does exist either.
    Anyway this new style of athesim is much more pervasive then the a few jahovas knocking on your door. The tactic employed by these people is much more direct and results in open ridicule of religious people to their face.

Why do they need to do this? Is it too prove that they are soo intelligent that they have figured out the mystery of life, or am i missing something?

• Advertisement

Our Mod,
    Who art in the Computer,
    Hallowed be thy Banhammer,
    Thy Sticky Read,
    Thy Rules be said,
    In the posts, as it is in the Charter.
    Give us this day our daily replies
    And forgive us our minor flaming ones,
    As we not respond to blatant troll attempts
    And lead us not into an infractious reply,
    But deliver us from hacks,
    /PRAYER

Yes!

If this is the case, why do you think i (and others) are confusing spitituality with the RCC?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MarcusFenix

OutlawPete wrote: »
    "Explained" to me? :p

More condescension, lets stick to this thread, yeah.

Cop out.

Answer these points, should be no bother to you, what with Evolution (and all that term entails) being an irrefutable fact:
    • Tell us who our common ancestors were, you know - the species that humans and apes evolved from.
    • Tell us were that 'common ancestor' is today.
    • If they have died out - tell us why they died out and how.
    • Is there hard scientific proof (of course there is, right?)

LOL at this

Often go around telling people you believe in god do ya?

No actually, it's usually in reply to the new found wave of trendy atheism that's sweeping Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

What i found funny is how aggressive athiesm has become. Most athiests these days try and force their beliefs more than any religious person does.

This type of sentiment is way too overblown IMO. The Catholic Church alone has over a billion followers, over 400 000 priests, tens of thousands of monks and nuns, and a similar number of churches and religious sites. It has its own radio station, newspapers, her leaders are accorded international respect, and their words carry considerable weight. When the pope visited the UK recently, the coverage was incredible. Every day around the world, there are countless masses and services dedicated to glorifying God, and to expressing his message. Every day around thw world, thousands of children are baptised in this faith. And, in Ireland at least, tens of thousands receive their Catholic indoctrination in primary school, paid for by people of all religions and none. And that's just the CC.

And yet atheists are somehow hogging the agenda? We are the ones aggressively spreading our message?! I can name three outspoken, famous atheists. I can name any number of high profile bishops and other prelates. I've read maybe 5 books with an atheistic message, which is far less than the total exposure to the Christian message that I received in my life, particularly in school. I can't remember much of the detail of any of the books, yet when I go to a funeral mass, I can still recite the Communion rites and all the others. Such was the level of their permeation during my childhood.

And yet, because some celebrities have the temerity to adopt an atheistic agenda, and write a few books, and because Irish atheists are no longer compelled to hide their identity, we are aggressive and in your face?! Please.

• Advertisement

Because their set of beliefs are total lies?

WOW

No actually, it's usually in reply to the new found wave of trendy atheism that's sweeping Ireland.

It's less about being trendy and more about being sensible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Do you think the previous conservative, catholic Ireland was a good thing?

Off the top of my head I can't think of any positives. I can think of lots of negatives though, e.g. lots of very religious people ****ing little boys.

LOL at this

Hmmm, yet more condescension, this thread's on a roll guys!

Wait...... you are now claiming that religion is ALL about comfort?

Are you serious?

still havn't answered the question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Why do Christians constantly say that their beliefs and/or faith must be respected? You're perfectly entitled to have faith, you're not entitled to demand respect for that faith from others, and refuse to debate other people because they 'don't respect my faith'.

http://mwillett.org/atheism/no-disrespect.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

But which of us are the ones claiming to know for sure?

Neither as far as I can see. We're all only talking of what we BELIEVE rather than what we KNOW
    Malty_T wrote: »
    True.
    So you are an agnostic theist?
    No, she's a catholic who doesn't agree with any of Catholicism's teachings. Didn't you know that? :p

Oh jesus can we please please please not start that crap again!!!!!

I don't think anyone has ever called to my door trying to convince me god does exist either.
    Anyway this new style of athesim is much more pervasive then the a few jahovas knocking on your door. The tactic employed by these people is much more direct and results in open ridicule of religious people to their face.

Why do they need to do this? Is it too prove that they are soo intelligent that they have figured out the mystery of life, or am i missing something?

Yes! show me one athiest or non believer who KNOWS how the universe works, and I'll eat my sizeable hat. Why oh why oh why oh why do people confuse athiesm with all knowingness?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Religion is about MUCH MORE than comfort as you well know.

Like the big and lucrative business of selling belief. Just look at what Hubbard learnt and did.

WOW

Why so shocked? After all, you don't think that.............
    If someone told you they believe in unicorns and talk to invisible ones every day, you'd probably also become very puzzled and find it hard to talk to them about it in a respectful, understanding manner.

people of these beliefs would have their belief system built on a pack of lies?

Because this is what we're talking about. It seems you forgot!

• Advertisement

Do you think the previous conservative, catholic Ireland was a good thing?

Off the top of my head I can't think of any positives. I can think of lots of negatives though, e.g. lots of very religious people ****ing little boys.

No I don't think it was a good thing, but I think the Catholic Church and some militant atheist groups are more similiar then they'd like to believe...

Individual freedom of thought is what I believe in, why do we need any labels: catholic/atheist???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

sacramento wrote: »
    It's less about being trendy and more about being sensible.

It's only a matter of time....

sect.gif

Neither as far as I can see. We're all only talking of what we BELIEVE rather than what we KNOW

Well, not in this thread per se, but you know as well as i do that Creationists are 100% sure in their believe that they have all the answers.

I, for one, don't know 100% how or why (if that matters which i dont think it does) we got here. And i wouldn't claim to. But i'll have fun finding out.

Just like a had fun learning about Evolution.

Einhard wrote: »
    This type of sentiment is way too overblown IMO. The Catholic Church alone has over a billion followers, over 400 000 priests, tens of thousands of monks and nuns, and a similar number of churches and religious sites. It has its own radio station, newspapers, her leaders are accorded international respect, and their words carry considerable weight. When the pope visited the UK recently, the coverage was incredible. Every day around the world, there are countless masses and services dedicated to glorifying God, and to expressing his message. Every day around thw world, thousands of children are baptised in this faith. And, in Ireland at least, tens of thousands receive their Catholic indoctrination in primary school, paid for by people of all religions and none. And that's just the CC.

And yet atheists are somehow hogging the agenda? We are the ones aggressively spreading our message?! I can name three outspoken, famous atheists. I can name any number of high profile bishops and other prelates. I've read maybe 5 books with an atheistic message, which is far less than the total exposure to the Christian message that I received in my life, particularly in school. I can't remember much of the detail of any of the books, yet when I go to a funeral mass, I can still recite the Communion rites and all the others. Such was the level of their permeation during my childhood.

And yet, because some celebrities have the temerity to adopt an atheistic agenda, and write a few books, and because Irish atheists are no longer compelled to hide their identity, we are aggressive and in your face?! Please.

The first part of this post just seems like hate against the catholic church and seems a little strange to bring it into the discussion at all.
    I have no problem with Atheism, not at all, but i do find it quite sad how they agressively ridicule others beliefs.

Like it or not, out and out atheism is likely just a wrong as fllowing a literal interpertation of the bible. So i don't see the need in them trying to ram it down people necks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Audrey,

Most Catholics are agnostic theists, it's only a term that describes a theist who admits they don't know if God exists (or doesn't) but they choose to believe in him any ways. In my opinions, most theists are of this blend, so too are most atheists. The people who actually know either way are the ones I really worry about.

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
    - Voltaire.
    :)

No I don't think it was a good thing, but I think the Catholic Church and some militant atheist groups are more similiar then they'd like to believe...

What militant Athiest groups do you speak of/ What makes them militant? What are they doing exactly?

Are they converting babies at gunpoint or something?

Individual freedom of thought is what I believe in, why do we need any labels: catholic/atheist???

WHAT MILITANT ATHIESTS?!!!?! do you actually even know what militant means?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

still havn't answered the question

Which one exactly? When did you ask me a question?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Religion is about MUCH MORE than comfort as you well know.

Advertisement