Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"no, I'm actually an athiest"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭JohnathanM

strobe wrote: »

First comes the control, and with it the power. Then, the money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

krudler wrote: »
    WHAT MILITANT ATHIESTS?!!!?! do you actually even know what militant means?

YES! CAPITALS DON'T MAKE YOUR POINT ANY BETTER BY THE WAY

Yes I do happen to know what it means, having grown up with them, with atheism forced on me, does that answer your question?

Also here's a link for your personal browsing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militant_atheism

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Zascar wrote: »

some of the funniest stuff on the interwebz is on that :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yes I do happen to know what it means, having grown up in one, with atheism forced on me, does that answer your question?
    Which militant atheist group forced it on you?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

WHAT MILITANT ATHIESTS?!!!?! do you actually even know what militant means?

I guess she means anti-theists. Those who don't just simply reject belief in a creator but who actively oppose anyone who accepts it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Malty_T wrote: »
    Audrey,

Most Catholics are agnostic theists, it's only a term that describes a theist who admits they don't know if God exists (or doesn't) but they choose to believe in him any ways. In my opinions, most theists are of this blend, so too are most atheists. The people who actually know either way are the ones I really worry about.

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. - Voltaire.
    :)

I agree with you here I must say. As I said none of us really know for sure and won't until we die.

I just don't want to get into an argument about how I lable myself because it'll only end up in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

ragg wrote: »
    The first part of this post just seems like hate against the catholic church and seems a little strange to bring it into the discussion at all.

Did s/he not mention "And that's just the CC [Catholic Church]"? What makes you think the majority of other religious denomination Christian or non Christian are any less different?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Yes I do happen to know what it means, having grown up in one, with atheism forced on me, does that answer your question?

No! Who are the groups and what are they doing?

you're just making stuff up. Back up your statements!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

The first part of this post just seems like hate against the catholic church and seems a little strange to bring it into the discussion at all.

Then you didn't read it properly. I think you just want to believe that yoiu are being attacked. Allows you to play the victim, and claim the high moral ground.

Like it or not, out and out atheism is likely just a wrong as fllowing a literal interpertation of the bible.

No, it's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

liah wrote: »
    If spiritual people are more respectful of other's beliefs, why do so many focus on converting others, and why is Ireland a Catholic country, and why is the middle east in religious shambles, and why does the Phelps family exist, why have religions warred with each other for centuries to convert one another, why are there so many Christians posting in the A&A forum, etc.

It's not down to "spiritual people are more respectful" or "atheists are more respectful." It's down to "some people are more respectful of others regardless of their religion or lack thereof."

Turning it into some anti-atheistic statement is only going to raise hackles. We all know it's true for all religions, nationalities, races, whatever else. Condescension is a human trait, not a religious one.

I'm not saying some atheists aren't condescending, but honestly I'd put that up to the fact that atheists have been seen in an unfavourable light for centuries and it's only in the last few decades, even, that it's really starting to become universally accepted as a legitimate viewpoint on a large scale.

More and more atheists finally find it okay to speak about it and the religious are taking offense because, quite simply, they haven't had to deal with it before. There hasn't been a threat to religion for so long, they haven't a clue what to think of it.

So here we are, a bunch of bitter, repressed atheists who are just now allowed to express their lack of belief and be taken seriously, and there you are, the spiritual ones shocked at the venom displayed and saying it's uncalled for. Well, yeah. It is condescending, a lot of the time, but I hate to be the one to say this-- payback is a bitch. We have to deal with religious stuff on a regular basis, most of which the religious don't notice because it's supposed to be there and they take it for granted and don't bother to think that others may view it differently to they do. And that's where this crap comes up.

The reason you see so much hate against the RCC in particular is because it's the most influential. Not that atheists don't know anything about other religions. The RCC is just the biggest, most loud-mouthed, most negatively influential one from an atheists' viewpoint.

For ragg, midlandsmissus, Audrey, etc.. in case you missed it the first time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Anyway this new style of athesim is much more pervasive then the a few jahovas knocking on your door. The tactic employed by these people is much more direct and results in open ridicule of religious people to their face.

Much more direct? How is writing a book and having a website more direct than knocking on someone's door and trying to convert them?
    I can't think of a more direct approach than going door to door (bar possibly breaking into the houses and lobotomizing people).
    Hmmm, yet more condescension, this thread's on a roll guys!

A c'mon now, you don't see the funny side of someone asking where your ancient ancestor is now?
    It would be a bit like me showing you a photo of you when you were 4 and then saying, "Where is this little girl now? Aha, told you she wasn't real!"

Do you think the previous conservative, catholic Ireland was a good thing?

Off the top of my head I can't think of any positives. I can think of lots of negatives though, e.g. lots of very religious people ****ing little boys.

In fairness, whole generations of Catholics would have been hard pressed to educate their children were it not for the RCC. Of course, as you point out, there were distinct negatives to that too, but, it has to be said, such incidences were very much in the minority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Yes! show me one athiest or non believer who KNOWS how the universe works, and I'll eat my sizeable hat. Why oh why oh why oh why do people confuse athiesm with all knowingness?

Interesting take on the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

MrStuffins wrote: »

Obviously she can't name them. We militant atheists are a shady and secretive bunch. We creep in through your bedroom window at night and pour honeydew in your ears. In the morning you wake up and all you can say is, "DAWKINS! DAWKINS!"

What militant Athiest groups do you speak of/ What makes them militant? What are they doing exactly?

Atheists who speak about atheism and don't, you know, keep their traps shut, are automatically militant in the eyes of many believers.

Interesting take on the whole thing.

it's your take, you should know!

'You're just making stuff up', how different of you, maybe try and live outside your stereotype for once? You know - no condescension?

My family, if you must know, were militant atheists.
    I spent my childhood being tagged along to talk to people about how stupid god/religon was, and not being allowed to think for myself.
    You seem to be confusing the term with actually being in the military.
    Surely, you as an atheist, should know your own atheistic terms of reference. Check out the wikipedia link I posted and get back to me.

Religious belief does not rest on logical proof or material evidence. It is a faith system that seems to promote prejudiced and outdated thoughts and beliefs.

It is human created and promoted and has no proof behind it at all.

Science is based on physical evidence, and has large amounts of this physical evidence to back up its reasons for believing these things.

I won't get into the common misunderstanding of what a "theory" actually is, as for something to become a theory in science means it has to go through a huge process of research, hard evidence and so on.

Religion seems to think a theory is,
    Make something up ---> believe it
    > ignore all hard physical evidence that goes against their beliefs.

The main thing to consider here is that no one person represents any side, so attacking someone for making a stupid pro or anti religious/atheist statement as if their stupidity is a representation of what they claim to believe and that everyone that claims to believe it too is somehow just as stupid as that person as a result, is just silly.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Obviously she can't name them. We militant atheists are a shady and secretive bunch. We creep in through your bedroom window at night and pour honeydew in your ears. In the morning you wake up and all you can say is, "DAWKINS! DAWKINS!"

Funnier than amazingly it was to live through it.

'You're just making stuff up', how different of you, maybe try and live outside your stereotype for once? You know - no condescension?

I spent my childhood being tagged along to talk to people about how stupid god/religon was, and not being allowed to think for myself.
    Surely, you as an atheist, should know your own atheistic terms of reference. Check out the wikipedia link I posted and get back to me.

So let me get this straight! Your family were a militant group of athiests?

So, did you guys go door to door telling people how believing in God was wrong? Did you wear specific clothing?

I'm having trouble picturing what you believe are "militant athiests" and i REALLY have trouble believing your little story!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Hmm, and which atheist group did they belong to?

Did they wear leather and ride around on motorcycles or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

sacramento wrote: »
    Religion seems to think a theory is,
    Make something up ---> believe it
    > ignore all hard physical evidence that goes against their beliefs.

And you have to actually be an atheist to make those assumptions.

Pretty much, you're telling me that if you set up certain assumptions, you will come to a certain conclusion.

Of course! - What matters is whether or not the assumptions are actually valid. Personally, I strain to see how one could verify this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Einhard wrote: »
    Then you didn't read it properly. I think you just want to believe that yoiu are being attacked. Allows you to play the victim, and claim the high moral ground.

I think maybe i havn't show my hand here, i was raised a catholic, but wouldn't consider myself one. I don't follow any religion. in fact my opinion on the catholic church is that is really just a nice place to use for weddings, etc...

i do have a spiritual side but i don't feel need to talk about it.

Einhard wrote: »
    No, it's not.

That post is more closed minded then any thing a religious person would make, as far as im concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

You actually went door to door trying to convert people to atheism?

Or do you mean your parents (or whoever dragged you along) spoke at events where religion was discussed or planned events at universities/whatnot to speak about atheism?

I have actually not once EVER heard of atheists going door-to-door.

However, I've been the recipient of many a 9am wakeup call from religious folk on my doorstep.

I'd be very curious to actually see people trying to convert people to atheism by going door-to-door, what on earth is there to preach?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Hedman wrote: »
    Successful troll is successful.

Can you explain this?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Jakkass wrote: »
    And you have to actually be an atheist to make those assumptions.

Pretty much, you're telling me that if you set up certain assumptions, you will come to a certain conclusion.

Of course! - What matters is whether or not the assumptions are actually valid. Personally, I strain to see how one could verify this.

Yeah you're right the bible is true because it says so itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Cmc29

I read a huge amount of this thread but due to it's size have not yet finished reading it but from what i have read i think everyone is confusing atheism with antitheism. Richard Dawkins and the like are antitheists. Anything in it's extreme form is going to annoy people. If someone wants to be an atheist though, why shouldn't they be allowed to have that belief?

Also to the OP, you seem to be giving out about antitheists and not atheists. Your form of intolerance is just as bad as what you're giving out about. Live and let live.

liah wrote: »
    You actually went door to door trying to convert people to atheism?

Or do you mean your parents (or whoever dragged you along) spoke at events where religion was discussed or planned events at universities/whatnot to speak about atheism?

I have actually not once EVER heard of atheists going door-to-door.

However, I've been the recipient of many a 9am wakeup call from religious folk on my doorstep.

I'd be very curious to actually see people trying to convert people to atheism by going door-to-door, what on earth is there to preach?

I smell a stinky story i'm afraid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Luckily I didn't say this did I Malty T? :pac: - Please focus on what I do say rather than what I don't? thanks! :D

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    Much more direct? How is writing a book and having a website more direct than knocking on someone's door and trying to convert them?
    I can't think of a more direct approach than going door to door (bar possibly breaking into the houses and lobotomizing people).

A c'mon now, you don't see the funny side of someone asking where your ancient ancestor is now?
    It would be a bit like me showing you a photo of you when you were 4 and then saying, "Where is this little girl now? Aha, told you she wasn't real!"

No I don't think it's the same as at all.

I don't know the ins and out of the theory of evolution, which I will gladly state now, so I can't have a well informed argument on it.

But I think what that poster was trying to get at, and I would actually like to ask as well, as I'm a novice in the understanding of evolution is:

If we are descended from apes why do they still exist? Surely if we 'evolve', the new better version (humans) should replace the old (apes)?

Again I don't know that much about it, but that is something I would like to ask?

Advertisement