Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"no, I'm actually an athiest"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

baz2009 wrote: »
    Any Atheist that I know is an arrogant cúnt, tbh. They all seem to think that their better than us because we believe that there is a God and we go to mass.

I'm not saying all Atheists are like this, just the ones I know.

Except one fella, he's sound.:pac:

Cheers Baz :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Admittedly liah. I wouldn't encourage the use of the term macro or micro normally, because they are only describing one thing evolution. The use of the term macroevolution allows people to partially accept evolution, but deny the part of it that doesn't suit them. The reality is that if microevolution occurs then it is more than likely that macroevolution does too. If we cut out the unnecessary distinction we get to evolution occurs.

I find in dealing with Young Earth Creationism, the best solution it actually to listen, without ridicule, and to put your point of view across about the age of the earth. Generally I would give them the time to speak, and give Biblical reasons why I disagree with YEC understanding of Genesis, and give some scientific evidence for why this simply cannot be the case. Physics, in terms of the Big Bang, puts the universe at 13.7bn years old, earth at 4.3bn. Likewise evolution is demonstrable and testable in the lab, and can describe the evolution of viruses such as Swine Flu.

Ridicule will make people more against what you have to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Cheers Baz :p

:pac:

I suppose I may re-phrase that. All the Atheists I know in person, not all the cool Atheists on Boards.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Jakkass wrote: »
    Admittedly liah. I wouldn't encourage the use of the term macro or micro normally, because they are only describing one thing evolution. The use of the term macroevolution allows people to partially accept evolution, but deny the part of it that doesn't suit them. The reality is that if microevolution occurs then it is more than likely that macroevolution does too. If we cut out the unnecessary distinction we get to evolution occurs.

I'm just trying to figure out what his discrepancy is, offering terms to try to figure out where it's coming from more than anything really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Well, which is it?

There two quotes do NOT contradict each other,in as you are so smugly trying to imply.

I don't believe the latter, precisely because I don't accept the former.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

OutlawPete wrote: »
    There two quotes do NOT contradict each other,in as you are so smugly trying to imply.

Actually, saying that you believe that humans, plants and animals are evolving but you don't believe in evolution would qualify itself as a contradiction, a substantial one at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Of FFS!!!

When will you people get it into your head, that just because there are some people that do not accept ALL aspects of the Theory Of Evolution, DOES NOT mean that they do not believe that humans, plants and animals are evolving.

Is what you are saying is that you believe in Micro-evolution and not Macro-evolution ?

But it's funny, last night you insisted on arguing with me over Evolution.

However, i had never once said i believe in "Darwin's Theory of Evolution", i only said Evolution!

It was you who brought Darwin into the conversation (and Dawkins for some strange reason).

So, in fairness, you were and are only arguing with yourself here.

This thread reminds me that I must finish reading The Greatest Show on Earth. The examples from dog breeding also make it quite clear how evolution works. Humans have been breeding dogs based on what genetic traits they wish to select. Humans in breeding select the traits. The difference in terms of biological evolution, is that nature selects the traits. What traits lend to survival (not always positive traits) are those which are passed on to subsequent generations.

I wouldn't say that I am an expert on any of this by any means, but it does make sense, and it does make looking into life a little bit more fascinating. (Life I believe was created by God of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

baz2009 wrote: »
    Any Atheist that I know is an arrogant cúnt, tbh. They all seem to think that their better than us because we believe that there is a God and we go to mass.

What about synagogues, mosques and people who go to church on Sundays? What about the naked, circley, witch things the wiccans do? The only people who seem to have a problem with that are other religious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭JohnathanM

Evil Phil wrote: »
    What about the naked, circley, witch things the Wiccans do?

Tell me more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Of FFS!!!

When will you people get it into your head, that just because there are some people that do not accept ALL aspects of the Theory Of Evolution, DOES NOT mean that they do not believe that humans, plants and animals are evolving.

By all aspects you mean that god must have made humans?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Jesus said that many tests would be placed before man before judgement day. I can't wait until the day atheists are queuing to see St. Peter at the gates of heaven. All their so called "theories" of "science" won't save them then. Dawkins and his ilk have special place in hell waiting for them!!!!!!!!!!

grizzly wrote: »
    Jesus said that many tests would be placed before man before judgement day. I can't wait until the day atheists are queuing to see St. Peter at the gates of heaven. All their so called "theories" of "science" won't save them then. Dawkins and his ilk have special place in hell waiting for them!!!!!!!!!!

It's ok, God is supposed to forgive us is he not?

Sure he loves me.

AND i have loads of creationists praying for me since they heard i don't believe in God!

I've pretty much got a Golden Ticket my friend ;)

Jesus said that many tests would be placed before man before judgement day. I can't wait until the day atheists are queuing to see St. Peter at the gates of heaven. All their so called "theories" of "science" won't save them then. Dawkins and his ink have special place in hell waiting for them!!!!!!!!!!

We're also told that God is omnipotent, and so fully aware that many of those He creates would apply the intellect and free will given to them to come to the conclusion that they don't believe in Him.

So, God created people purely in order to punish them for all eternity. Nice God, Christianity has there. Are all the others like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

This thread reminds me that I must finish reading The Greatest Show on Earth. The examples from dog breeding also make it quite clear how evolution works. Humans have been breeding dogs based on what genetic traits they wish to select. Humans in breeding select the traits. The difference in terms of biological evolution, is that nature selects the traits. What traits lend to survival (not always positive traits) are those which are passed on to subsequent generations.

I wouldn't say that I am an expert on any of this by any means, but it does make sense, and it does make looking into life a little bit more fascinating. (Life I believe was created by God of course).

Not wanting to add to your reading list even further but has anyone here Kenneth Miller's book "Finding Darwin's God." It's been on my to do list with a quite a while now. Alas, like Jakkass, I have yet to finish the GSOE.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

PAULWATSON wrote: »
    These days, it seems everyone is tearing about the place mouthing off about "being an athiest".

Is this some sort of snobbish "new, new Ireland" thing that has passed me bye?

I remember being taught back in Junior Cert religion, how the recent increase in atheism was merely down to people wanting to "be cool"... over 12 years on and some people still believe this to be the case.

Longest fad ever :pac:

Are you a smug little athiest?
    No bible basher myself, however I don't ever want to be confused with an athiest. I don't pride myself on "the scientific method", or believe in evolution for that matter.
    (paedo this, paedo that, blah, blah, catholic church, blah, had enough, blah, superstition, blah, we're so educated, blah.)

Does taking pride in having a little education, and being outraged by the carry on regarding child rape make me smug?

Does the bible not say that only 144,000 people will get into heaven?

I can't wait till Chrisitans reach those pearly gates and find out the Jews were right.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

It's ok, God is supposed to forgive us is he not?)

Only if we beg for his mercy and are truly repentant. So your so called "Golden Ticket" will burn with you in the fires of everlasting hell.

• Advertisement

Only if we beg for his mercy and are truly repentant. So your so called "Golden Ticket" will burn with you in the fires of everlasting hell.

Here hold on, do you not think that if i died and found out i was wrong and if i didnt repent i'd go to hell, that i wouldn't be truly repentant?

Of course i would! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

..........but he loves you.

Allegedly. :pac:

So after creating the entire universe he needs to be vindicated by people begging to him?

If He requires begging then I'd rather spend an eternity in Hell than give in to such a tyrant. That said, I do believe, most Christians nowadays don't believe in the idea of a fire and brimstone Hell. Just a place of absence from God. Am I right? *Cough* Jakkass *Cough*

Not quite. All it means is that you accept that you've done wrong, and that you need to be forgiven. Jesus died in our place, so that we might not have to receive the punishment that we deserved. God brought Christ into the world, so that we might not go to to hell. That's the whole point.

I don't deserve to go to heaven, but if I am being judged based on Christ rather than on my own, then yes I certainly will.

receive the punishment that we deserved.

See, it's that sort of thing that gets my back up. What do you mean, we deserve it? What have I ever done that warrants fiery lakes and nothing on TV be re-runs of "Who's the Boss?"?

JohnathanM wrote: »
    See, it's that sort of thing that gets my back up. What do you mean, we deserve it? What have I ever done that warrants fiery lakes and nothing on TV be re-runs of "Who's the Boss?"?

Original sin, am i right?

Right, so I'm going to burn because some weak-minded fool munched on an apple, just in the hope he might get some. Curse you, ribs!

• Advertisement

I think so, and if jesus really is god (trinity and all that) then he's sacrificing himself to save us from him.

Advertisement