Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"no, I'm actually an athiest"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

I got to page 36, and decided to skip the rest!:D

Some atheists seem to go out of their way to sneer at believers at every opportunity. I tend to ignore their posts.

Some believers are equally annoying. I ignore them, too.

Personally, I don't care what anyone believes, or disbelieves.
    It's when any one group tries to infringe on the rights of another that I get annoyed.

Sadly, there are people in both categories who assume they have a right to do so - based on the notion that fighting for "their" rights gives them "carte blanche" to trample all over everyone else.....

Whenever all of us learn the basic courtesy of showing respect for others, then genuine problems in society can start to be addressed.
    "Militants" in either group can only delay this, however.

Noreen

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Saganist wrote: »
    Its quite a simple question. How long did it take Him ?

Did you not read my post? It's a meaningless question and Jakkass answered it correctly. How do you measure the distance between objects when distance doesn't exist? You can't. How do you measure the time elapsed when time doesn't exist? You can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Isn't that the very definition of Christianity and why people should just ignore it?

Why don't you believe in Zeus?

Why would I ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Noreen1 wrote: »
    Personally, I don't care what anyone believes, or disbelieves.
    It's when any one group tries to infringe on the rights of another that I get annoyed.

like it being so hard for non catholic kids to get into a school in ireland? or no non catholics being unable to have a pint on good friday? or atheists being unable to become judges?

atheists are persecuted by the state, but its alright, coz theyre atheists so its not actually religious persecution

its non religious persecution, which is fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Caesar Augustus - Nothing should be ignored off the cuff. Things should be investigated, and questioned. Yes, that would include Homer and Hessiod on Zeus if one was inclined to investigate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

This is where I have a problem. How can you know this ? Again, it's an assumption and is where your point falls down !

Of course it's an assumption.

A lot of The Big bang theory is assumption as well though. We don't know all there is to know about it. Although we ARE working on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Why don't you believe in Zeus?

Because Zeus did durty things with Ganymede.

Malty_T wrote: »
    Did you not read my post? It's a meaningless question and Jakkass answered it correctly. How do you measure the distance between objects when distance doesn't exist? You can't. How do you measure the time elapsed when time doesn't exist? You can't.

Exactly.. So from us not knowing. To "God did it".

Sorry but that doesn't hold water with me. Why not just say that these things are unknowable ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Why would I ?

The reason people don't believe in Zeus is the same reason atheists don't believe in Yahweh.

Not one shred of proof. Not at all. Zip. Nada.

EDIT: Go investigate if you're curious.

This is where I have a problem. How can you know this ? Again, it's an assumption and is where your point falls down !

It's not an assumption, whatever "started" the Big Bang be it a Quantum Fluctuation or some other natural process, or even a Supernatural entity started time as we know it. So if that process or entity created time then logically speaking it must have been independent of time before the emergence of time from space.

• Advertisement

i created time

prove otherwise

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Its quite a simple question. How long did it take Him ?

It's not simple at all if "He" created time in the process.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Of course it's an assumption.

A lot of The Big bang theory is assumption as well though. We don't know all there is to know about it. Although we ARE working on it!

Yet it's more plausible than an omnipotent God.

We know the Universe is expanding, and a lot of good work has been done to explain how things started. The Big Bang being the best of the bunch. Where in this work do we invoke a God as the one who started it ?

And if we do, shouldn't we be asking the next question ? Where did God come from ?

Tom Slick wrote: »
    Zeus?! and you a Roman emperor.

And a deity.

Fine....

Jupiter then.

:p

Helix wrote: »
    i created time

prove otherwise

You consist of atoms that were made from heavy elements when stars when super novae, such super novae do not happen at the tiniest scales of our universe nor do atoms exist.

The reason people don't believe in Zeus is the same reason atheists don't believe in Yahweh.

Not one shred of proof. Not at all. Zip. Nada.

EDIT: Go investigate if you're curious.

So..this is a Photoshop job?

I refuse to believe it!

We know the Universe is expanding, and a lot of good work has been done to explain how things started. The Big Bang being the best of the bunch. Where in this work do we invoke a God as the one who started it ?

And if we do, shouldn't we be asking the next question ? Where did God come from ?

Indeed we should.

But "How long...?" is the wrong question to ask as he might've been creating Time along with the Earth!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

It's turtles all the way down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭JohnathanM

I refuse to believe it!

Nah, it's a shoop. I can tell from some of the pixels.

It's not an assumption, whatever "started" the Big Bang be it a Quantum Fluctuation or some other natural process, or even a Supernatural entity started time as we know it. So if that process or entity created time then logically speaking it must have been independent of time before the emergence of time from space.

"whatever "started" the Big Bang" you say.

why do we assume this ?That there was some outside force, be it God or Natural...

Couldn't we just as easily say that the universe created itself in a natural cycle ? This eliminates the need for anything to exist outside of the Universe.

• Advertisement

I refuse to believe it!

Thank God for that. I thought it was going to be one of those pictures of Zeus in his natural pose, which is with his meat and two veg out.

Indeed we should.

But "How long...?" is the wrong question to ask as he might've been creating Time along with the Earth!

And again. when and where does HE come into it ?

And again. when and where does HE come into it ?

You tell me, you asked the question.

You consist of atoms that were made from heavy elements when stars when super novae, such super novae do not happen at the tiniest scales of our universe nor do atoms exist.

my BODY is made of atoms yeah

but my body is just the vessel for me to exist in physical form right here, right now. kinda like that jesus chap

in reality, the real me is a magical all powerful being that exists on a plane you cant comprehend. id explain it to you, but you wouldnt understand so instead ill just use that as an excuse.

but i digress, i created time and the universe. i also created this "god" joker you guys claim to be the all poweful one

again disprove it

ill just throw believers logic back at you every time

Laurence Kruss..

A Universe from NOTHING. Have a watch..

You tell me, you asked the question.

He doesn't. EVER.. Why would he.

5uspect wrote: »
    It's not simple at all if "He" created time in the process.

there still needed to be a start point and an end point

and again, i created time

I refuse to believe it!

Well I wouldn't want to upset you.

/condescending talk

The creator of time speaks in lower case, it appears.

That might be useful to know at the next pub quiz.

• Advertisement

The creator of time speaks in lower case, it appears

its because he's a journalist who likes to disregard grammar rules on his down time

Advertisement