Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"no, I'm actually an athiest"

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I never said it is unstable. I am 99% sure evolution is right. But the 1% prevents me from saying it is a rock solid fact and prevents me from shouting at people about evolution.
    What we know with absolute certainty, is that living species have evolved. This is an absolute, undeniable 100% fact. The only thing that can be questioned is the mechanism behind it, in this case, Natural Selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

What we know with absolute certainty, is that living species have evolved. This is an absolute, undeniable 100% fact. The only thing that can be questioned is the mechanism behind it, in this case, Natural Selection.

Whats the alternative ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Honestly I spend a lot of time thinking about the meaning of life and that includes the whole concept of existence. I have no answer to it. All I know is I am here for some reason, I do appear to exist, but I have no clue why I exist or what I'm supposed to be doing with my life.

Typical homo sapien.

I think you are confusing one form of beauty (elegant simplicity & supporting evidence) with another (oooh, that's shiny/pretty).

Yeah, I assumed Saganist meant the latter one. Didn't confuse it just assumed by the way the post was written the latter one. My apologies.:o

Saganist wrote: »
    Whats the alternative ?
    There really is no viable alternative.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭JohnathanM

Well I can't speak for anyone else but I've never had someone tell me that I'm not free to hold an opinion, and I've never been arrested for sharing an opinion. The law, as stupid as it is; has quite a nice defense

So why am I not allowed to defame religious ideas simply because I feel like it? Were I to post a comment about, say, a six year old wife for the Muslim prophet and comment on what he got up to with her, I would be in line for punishment under that law. Were I to make comment about Jesus' sexual orientation, the same thing.

The problem with such laws is not in the application, but the potential for their application. That's why people were happy in the UK to see sedition removed; nobody was punished lately for writing about how the government should be cut loose, but the fact that they could be does not sit with the idea of "free speech".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Malty_T wrote: »
    Yeah, I assumed Saganist meant the latter one. Didn't confuse it just assumed by the way the post was written the latter one. My apologies.:o

No worries, I thought that wasn't your style tbh. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭moonage

I see God as everything in the universe and that which allows everthing to be.

The problem is that Man has personified this essence in his own image, which leads to God being seen as external to reality.

Clearly there is an intelligence at work in the universe e.g. evolution. This intelligence goes by many names, one of which is God.

The word "God" has so much baggage attached to it that it's probably best to drop the word altogether.

moonage wrote: »

Clearly there is an intelligence at work in the universe e.g. evolution. This intelligence goes by many names, one of which is God.

Clearly? I look around the universe and I certainly do not see intelligence.

I see God as everything in the universe and that which allows everthing to be.

The problem is that Man has personified this essence in his own image, which leads to God being seen as external to reality.

The word "God" has so much baggage attached to it that it's probably best to drop the word altogether.

Evolution has shown itself to be far from intelligent to be perfectly honest.

• Advertisement

You're not wearing the mandatory rose-tinted 4D spectacles

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Sorry dude but this is just......... no!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

How is responding to a question "what religion are you" being smug? I have never heard anyone, ever preaching about being atheists.

The fact that religious people would say they are tired of atheists going on and on about being atheists and "preaching too much" is hilarious, as I have to listen to religious drivel on a daily basis.

How is responding to a question "what religion are you" being smug? I have never heard anyone, ever preaching about being atheists.

The fact that religious people would say they are tired of atheists going on and on about being atheists and "preaching too much" is hilarious, as I have to listen to religious drivel on a daily basis.

A very lucid point, QFT.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Have to agree. I hear about how I'm going to hell basically morning,afternoon & night. I hear a lot of this type of stuff & in all honesty hear very little from the atheist side of things. I've never had a atheist knock on my door & try convince to become one myself.

Religious people don't like to hear about atheist stuff because they start to feel insecure about there own beliefs. Thats not atheists fault that your starting to disbelieve your own drivel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Sixty eight pages in two days.

This has to be some sort of record for most successful troll ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

tdv123 wrote: »
    Have to agree. I hear about how I'm going to hell basically morning,afternoon & night.

Really? I rarely hear about religion despite some of my best friends and most of my family being religious. If people were continuously harping on about how I'm going to hell I don't think I'd put myself in their company for very long.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

tdv123 wrote: »
    I've never had a atheist knock on my door & try convince to become one myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

PAULWATSON wrote: »
    These days, it seems everyone is tearing about the place mouthing off about "being an athiest".

Is this some sort of snobbish "new, new Ireland" thing that has passed me bye?

No bible basher myself, however I don't ever want to be confused with an athiest. I don't pride myself on "the scientific method", or believe in evolution for that matter.

One thing always bothered me about evolution, according to the theory the people around you are the fittest "best of the best" after two million years of dog eat dog. Now looking at this lot, what must the prototype have been like, a right clown I'd say.

(paedo this, paedo that, blah, blah, catholic church, blah, had enough, blah, superstition, blah, we're so educated, blah.)

Are you a smug little athiest?
    Shame this post (especially retarded bits highlighted) got so much thanks. Oh and the OP is a re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-reg who is freaked by Ireland no longer being all "dancing at the crossroads".

Really? I rarely hear about religion despite some of my best friends and most of my family being religious. If people were continuously harping on about how I'm going to hell I don't think I'd put myself in their company for very long.

You are one of the lucky ones my friend!

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    Shame this post (especially retarded bits highlighted) got so much thanks. Oh and the OP is a re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-reg who is freaked by Ireland no longer being all "dancing at the crossroads".
    Holy ****, hadn't looked at the post since it was first posted. I can't believe how many thanks it's gotten!

Quite sad really.

<video>

Holy Sh*t! It did get a lot of thanks... that's just depressing.:(

Shame this post (especially retarded bits highlighted) got so much thanks.
    Holy ****, hadn't looked at the post since it was first posted. I can't believe how many thanks it's gotten!

Quite sad really.
    Holy Sh*t! It did get a lot of thanks... that's just depressing.:(

And not only that, from some posters who i would've thought better of!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭bluecatmorgana

I think the people are speaking, are you listening closely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭JohnathanM

Please thread, don't die before you hit page sixty-nine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 what get

Thank God I am an atheist. :D

I think the people are speaking, are you listening closely?

You know, maybe if you listened or read through the posts on this thread, or popped over to the A&A forum you wouldn't have such caricature misinformed views of atheists. Just maybe...but I guess the idea that if someone subscribes to an idea that is uncommon then they can be automatically associated, without recourse, to any possible negative association, or consequence, of that idea because such associations are just too fruity to actively ignore.

So thanks, for thanking a post that declares I bash the bible, am a snob, think I am superior to others, have attacked the catholic church over paedophilia, and thanks for rewarding someone who hasn't even bothered his ass to read something about evolution other than a primary school book if anything at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

This post has depressed me, I hadn't noticed so many people thanked it, and I can count at least 6 people I would have expected more from.

Disappointing really.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭bluecatmorgana

You know maybe if you listened or popped over to the A&A forum you wouldn't have such caricature misinformed views of atheists. Just maybe...but I guess the idea that if someone subscribes to an idea that is uncommon then they can be automatically associated without recourse to any possible negative association or consequence of that idea because such associations are just too fruity to actively ignore.

Youre talking bull**** there friend.

and I used to "pop over to the A&A thread" but found it too smug to bear. I got fed up with them looking down their nose at people who believe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Evolution has shown itself to be far from intelligent to be perfectly honest.
    You're not wearing the mandatory rose-tinted 4D spectacles
    MrStuffins wrote: »
    Sorry dude but this is just......... no!

Someone comes in stating their religious beliefs and this is the response they get?

"No you're wrong!"
    *Jibe jibe*
    "No"

With comments like this, I can see what the OP was getting at.

Advertisement