Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"no, I'm actually an athiest"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Youre talking bull**** there friend.

and I used to "pop over to the A&A thread" but found it too smug to bear. I got fed up with them looking down their nose at people who believe.

You talk about smug but your contributiuon is....
    I think the people are speaking, are you listening closely?

Sounds pretty smug to me i'm afraid!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Please don't presume to know my opinions.

I don't think anyone has the right to be condescending to anybody regardless belief or lack of. So yes I would have the same issue if some-one was belittling a scientologist or some-one believing in fairies etc. And I am well aware that believers can be just as condescending and I have issue with that too.

By all means we can debate and question and disagree but we can do respectfully and not resort to childish belittling.

You are deluded if you think you don't have the right to be condescending.

storm2811 wrote: »
    Someone comes in stating their religious beliefs and this is the response they get?

"No you're wrong!"
    *Jibe jibe*
    "No"

With comments like this, I can see what the OP was getting at.

No, the poster actually posting a misinterpretation of what Evolution is.

I think it's the first time i've ever heard someone refer to evolution as "God".

This is why i said what i said.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Someone comes in stating their religious beliefs and this is the response they get?

"No you're wrong!"
    *Jibe jibe*
    "No"

It is a fact that the rabbit's digestive system requires them to sh1t out their food first and then eat it. That's not my version of intelligence or efficiency. Sorry, if I'm not the ilk of someone who thinks that 1+1=2 or 3 if you want to believe it to be so..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

MrStuffins wrote: »

I think it's the first time i've ever heard someone refer to evolution as "God".

I implore you to give up Stuffins, sometimes people don't want to, or are incapable of listening, you will only annoy yourself trying to talk sense into people.

And yes, this is condescending.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    This post has depressed me, I hadn't noticed so many people thanked it, and I can count at least 6 people I would have expected more from.

Disappointing really.

:(
    I presume most were agreeing with his comments about atheists, but it doesn't do much good to one's reputation or credibility thanking a post that contains the following:
    I don't pride myself on "the scientific method", or believe in evolution for that matter.

One thing always bothered me about evolution, according to the theory the people around you are the fittest "best of the best" after two million years of dog eat dog. Now looking at this lot, what must the prototype have been like, a right clown I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It seems people thanked the opening post in their eagerness to show how they think some atheists can be smug pricks towards people who are religious, which would be fair enough, except they obviously didn't read the drivel contained in the post properly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

But do you not get that being condescendong towards some-one for any reason is disrespectful?

It's not the questioning I have issue with, nor I suspect do most Catholics it's the part where people start looking down on you for your beliefs that is the problem. I don't if some-one doesn't share my beliefs to be honest. Just be respectful about it.

No one is entitled to respect. It is hard to respect people who believe in nonsense. That doen't mean you shouldn't treat them with respect, but when you know the sort of nonsense they actually believe in you lose respect without choice on some level.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

"No you're wrong!"
    *Jibe jibe*
    "No"

Maybe you can tell us what is so intelligent about the universe then?

I don't see how pointing out that the universe is not as ''intelligent'' as it seems fits in to the OP's description of us atheists.

About the OP, I would hope most people who thanked the post did so because of it's anti-atheistic sentiments, rather than anything to do with evolution.

Call me condescending if you wish, at the end of the day I don't give a **** about what people think of me because of my atheistic views. But seriously, if you reject evolution, then you need to open a book and educate yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭bluecatmorgana

You talk about smug but your contributiuon is....

Sounds pretty smug to me i'm afraid!

My point being a lot of people feel that there are a lot of smug atheists out there and maybe if you looked at people who you thought better of and considered their opinions you might get a better picture of how some atheists look.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

It's not about what they say about evolution, it's what they said about their beliefs which were immediately bashed by you and others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

"No you're wrong!"
    *Jibe jibe*
    "No"

For stating what happens in reality ? If that pisses people off then Im fine with it.

I'd expect to be rebutted if I was to make claims that I could not back up.

It's the difference between people accepting reality and those who dont.

Dudess wrote: »
    It seems people thanked the opening post in their eagerness to show how they think some atheists can be smug pricks towards people who are religious, which would be fair enough, except they obviously didn't read the drivel contained in the post properly.
    As true as this is, Religious people can also be smug pricks towards people who are athiests.

My point being a lot of people feel that there are a lot of smug atheists out there and maybe if you looked at people who you thought better of and considered their opinions you might get a better picture of how some atheists look.

Im sorry, but i didnt really understand the highlighted part.
    It's not about what they say about evolution, it's what they said about their beliefs which were immediately bashed by you and others.

You see, here you are trying to put words into my mouth.

I have already explained what I said and why i said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

So wait..... what you're saying is...... there is NO evidence for evolution?

I'm sorry, you have to be trolling! There is no way i'm having THIS conversation hahaha!

Trolls used to be so much better back in the day!

Are you for real or what? Trolling? I like to deal in facts, gravity is a proven fact - evolution is not? I really can't make my point any simpler, but it continues to go over your head.

You have still yet to provide me with concrete, undeniable evidence that evolution is fact and not merely a theory. But I think this concept escapes you.

As true as this is, Religious people can also be smug pricks towards people who are athiests.

A point I have raised here many times.

Condescention is a HUMAN trait, not an exclusively Athiest trait!

The OP hasn't even been back to the thread since shortly after he started it ffs.

Malty_T wrote: »
    It is a fact that the rabbit's digestive system requires them to sh1t out their food first and then eat it. That's not my version of intelligence or efficiency. Sorry, if I'm not the ilk of someone who thinks that 1+1=2 or 3 if you want to believe it to be so..

I believe in evolution, I was simply pointing out how the poster's beliefs were ridiculed by many, not even discussed.
    Maybe you can tell us what is so intelligent about the universe then?

I don't see how pointing out that the universe is not as ''intelligent'' as it seems fits in to the OP's description of us atheists.

About the OP, I would hope most people who thanked the post did so because of it's anti-atheistic sentiments, rather than anything to do with evolution.

Call me condescending if you wish, at the end of the day I don't give a **** about what people think of me because of my atheistic views. But seriously, if you reject evolution, then you need to open a book and educate yourself.

I don't agree with the posters beliefs, it's not about "pointing out that the universe is not intelligent", it's about completely writing off their beliefs without discussion that I thought was relevant to the OP.

Lol at the tag "Jesus saves with AIB". :D

A point I have raised here many times.

Condescention is a HUMAN trait, not an exclusively Athiest trait!
    Yes, people are pricks, people are full of shít.

It's not as if the minute you decide to believe in God, every bad piece of your personality disappears and you become a saint, incapable of being condescending, and full of shít.

• Advertisement

Are you for real or what? Trolling? I like to deal in facts, gravity is a proven fact - evolution is not? I really can't make my point any simpler, but it continues to go over your head.

You have still yet to provide me with concrete, undeniable evidence that evolution is fact and not merely a theory. But I think this concept escapes you.

I can assure you that i am "for real".

the concept doesn't escape me at all.

Tonnes and tonnes and tonnes of evidence exists for Evolution. Just because you are ignorant to it, does not make me wrong.

And as for providing you with evidence.... i'm not going to hold your hand! Open a bloody book :rolleyes:

Well, what you're point should have been is that there are lot of smug pricks out there in the world, some who happen to be atheist and some who happen to be theist. By the way, the OP was actually criticising anti-theists. I'm assuming his criticism wasn't towards buddhists or the like, then again who knows I might be wrong, but I think he just didn't know his arse from his elbow and was talking out through his arse and assumed all atheists were anti theists : the vast majority are anything but, but it is so easy for people to convince themselves that a vocal minority represent the majority.

If anyone who thanked his post does find themselves under fire from an anti theist. I certainly won't be in a rush to jump to their defence. (Though knowing me I probably will as I don't like people who make blatantly ignorant arguments about any topic.)

No, I'm not.
    It's the fact that you dismissed the posters beliefs right away, without any discussion at all.

Im sorry, but i didnt really understand the highlighted part.

What I mean: there are some people who thanked that post who you thought of as good in some way and are surprised that they thanked it.
    My thinking is you could learn from how so many people view atheists. The people who thanked the post obviously found a lot of atheists smug.
    Then you could think about that fact and try and understand why they feel like that.
    Sorry for not being clear.

I explained to you earlier that gravity was not a proven fact. Yet you still persist to spout this, so what exactly is your proof of gravity?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Gravity isn't proven any more than evolution is - they're both backed by the weight of empirical evidence. They both have a massive amount of evidence backing them up, and for either of them to be untrue would require a major rewriting of pretty much everything we have on the subject. There's no theoretical proof of why gravity has to be correct; it's simply the case that everywhere we look we get confirmation of the tendency of bodies to be attracted to large celestial bodies in proportion to the square of their mass (apologies if I'm incorrect on the maths). Likewise, there's no theoretical proof of why evolution has to be correct; it's just that everywhere we look we get confirmation of the tendency of beneficial mutations increasing with succeeding generations as a consequence of the relative success it brings in breeding.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Because some athiests can be condescending, all of a sudden, condescension is an exclusively Athiest trait
    Years ago, when the church controlled everything, life was easy for the religious -- anybody who asked any nasty questions was was a heretic, and before you knew it, it was a quick burning at the stake and hey presto, no more problem questions!

Those times have mostly gone, as least here in Europe, but a lot of religious still haven't really got used to being pulled up on some of the nonsense they believe, particularly when -- like the simple matter of getting my kid into a school -- religious beliefs have a direct and nasty influence the lives of people who choose not to play their religious games.

But arrogance? When an pope who fought on behalf of the Nazi's last month said that atheism caused nazism, and last year, top cardinal in the UK said last year that atheists "were not fully human" (linky).

Well, who the fuck are the arrogant assholes here?

This is true but having read some of the Christianity thread I find very little evidence of that. In real life I tend to find religious people more self-rightous than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Gravity is far from fact.. It exists of course, but there are still things which are not understood about it.. so it's still pretty much a theory. Science is like a never-ending poem, and sometimes we have to change a proceeding line because the next one doesn't rhyme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Gravity isn't proven any more than evolution is - they're both backed by the weight of empirical evidence. They both have a massive amount of evidence backing them up, and for either of them to be untrue would require a major rewriting of pretty much everything we have on the subject. There's no theoretical proof of why gravity has to be correct; it's simply the case that everywhere we look we get confirmation of the tendency of bodies to be attracted to large celestial bodies in proportion to the square of their mass (apologies if I'm incorrect on the maths). Likewise, there's no theoretical proof of why evolution has to be correct; it's just that everywhere we look we get confirmation of the tendency of beneficial mutations increasing with succeeding generations as a consequence of the relative success it brings in breeding.

+1..

Great post..

Advertisement