Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"no, I'm actually an athiest"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Most of this thread is people being smug pricks towards people who are athiests?
    This is true but having read some of the Christianity thread I find very little evidence of that. In real life I tend to find religious people more self-rightous than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭smokingman

You have still yet to provide me with concrete, undeniable evidence that evolution is fact and not merely a theory. But I think this concept escapes you.

Hi, my name is Smokingman.....and I am as smug as they come.
    Why am I smug? Why it's because I'm living my life for every second, according to what I consider right and not according to the delusional ramblings of people who believe in tooth fairies.....and generally much happier inside than Razis followers (or any other religion for that matter).

You don't believe in evolution eh? SMUG FACTOR OVERLOAD!!!!!!!
    I'll just point and laugh now.....
    Ha,....Ha

Just one thing...please don't reproduce. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It's a given that some religious people are smug/arrogant/condescending, what seems to be an issue here is those (religious or not) who fall over themselves to defend religious people to show how tolerant they are, by condemning atheists as smug/arrogant/condescending - ironically enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

storm2811 wrote: »
    No, I'm not.
    It's the fact that you dismissed the posters beliefs right away, without any discussion at all.

he was free to reply to me and he didn't.

Evolution is not "God" and i really don't see how it could be. He could have made himself clearer and explained further. It's not my fault he didnt!
    What I mean: there are some people who thanked that post who you thought of as good in some way and are surprised that they thanked it.
    My thinking is you could learn from how so many people view atheists. The people who thanked the post obviously found a lot of atheists smug.
    Then you could think about that fact and try and understand why they feel like that.
    Sorry for not being clear.

Ah yes i understand now.

Well yes, but this is AH after all. The home of "All Africans are this" and "All Polish people are that" and "Let's kill all the Roma Gypsies".

So maybe they were just playing? There's no way all of those people agreed with that entire Original Post, because some of it is downright ridiculous, whether you believe Athiests are smug or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Are you for real or what? Trolling? I like to deal in facts, gravity is a proven fact - evolution is not? I really can't make my point any simpler, but it continues to go over your head.

You have still yet to provide me with concrete, undeniable evidence that evolution is fact and not merely a theory. But I think this concept escapes you.

It's already been explained to you that gravity is not a proven fact, why do you continue to ignore it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭bluecatmorgana

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Most of this thread is people being smug pricks towards people who are athiests?

Proof please?
    ( and I mean that cause I didnt read the whole thing)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Gravity is far from fact.. It exists of course, but there are still things which are not understood about it.. so it's still pretty much a theory. Science is like a never-ending poem, and sometimes we have to change a proceeding line because the next one doesn't rhyme.

You're mixing up what people mean when they say something is fact.

What I mean is that Gravity exists, we can understand how it works to some extent, therefore Gravity is a fact.

Correct me if Im wrong.. !

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

mohawk wrote: »
    In order to engage in a debate you should learn what a scientific theory means.

Well if you could understand my posts or perhaps if you even bothered to read them? You will clearly see that I am highlighting the difference between a theory and a fact. So referring to the above comment by you - what are you on about? Because I think your addressing this to the wrong person surely?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

tdv123 wrote: »
    Have to agree. I hear about how I'm going to hell basically morning,afternoon & night. I hear a lot of this type of stuff & in all honesty hear very little from the atheist side of things. I've never had a atheist knock on my door & try convince to become one myself.

Religious people don't like to hear about atheist stuff because they start to feel insecure about there own beliefs. Thats not atheists fault that your starting to disbelieve your own drivel.
    Really? I rarely hear about religion despite some of my best friends and most of my family being religious. If people were continuously harping on about how I'm going to hell I don't think I'd put myself in their company for very long.

Yeah, really thats why I just said it. Maybe you don't hear as much as I do. Not always direct head-on about "going to hell" but usually being implied in some sort of form or another, "how I need to be saved" "how I need to thank God" etc...

Well if you could understand my posts or perhaps if you even bothered to read them? You will clearly see that I am highlighting the difference between a theory and a fact. So referring to the above comment by you - what are you on about? Because I think your addressing this to the wrong person surely?

No, what you are saying is there is no proof for Evolution.

And you are wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

In the case of evolution:
    A scientific theory is constructed from hypothesises backed up by observations that are known as scientific facts. A collection of scientific facts along with hypothesises from many different models forms a scientific theory.

In science theory >> fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

JokerD wrote: »
    Think you're reading a tad much into that. Nothing mentioned whatsoever about not treating all citizens equally so I've no idea where you concluded that from. Just the fact that Ireland is predominatly a Catholic country that's all.

Seriously, what does that mean?
    Either we're a secular republic or we're not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

<frantically roots back for Liah's post that I promised I'd reply to>. Where the feck is it?
    Any easier way to locate a post?

I'm certainly not debating, I believe in evolution about as much as I believe that some guy sailed around in a Ark. There's no evidence for either and just because a group believes doesn't make it truth.

I've already told you I'm open minded, so where is the irrefutable evidence you speak of??

See? Your ignorance is not our fault. But i seriously fail to see how you have not been able to come across evidence for Evolution!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Medicman: would you care to explain your understanding of the difference between a theory and a fact - and, of course, your understanding of the difference between the common use of the word "theory" and the scientific use?

Proof please?
    ( and I mean that cause I didnt read the whole thing)

That's all from the first two pages, can't be bothered to go further than that, I would consider those posts to be fairly smug and ignorant about atheism.

PAULWATSON wrote: »
    These days, it seems everyone is tearing about the place mouthing off about "being an athiest".

Is this some sort of snobbish "new, new Ireland" thing that has passed me bye?

No bible basher myself, however I don't ever want to be confused with an athiest. I don't pride myself on "the scientific method", or believe in evolution for that matter.

One thing always bothered me about evolution, according to the theory the people around you are the fittest "best of the best" after two million years of dog eat dog. Now looking at this lot, what must the prototype have been like, a right clown I'd say.

(paedo this, paedo that, blah, blah, catholic church, blah, had enough, blah, superstition, blah, we're so educated, blah.)

Are you a smug little athiest?
    OutlawPete wrote: »
    Have to agree with the OP here.

People just can't wait to tell you that they are atheists these days.

I really don't care if people are or not.

It's the fact that they titter and sneer at anyone who happens to believe in any kind of spirituality, that I find so contemptible.

Go and masturbate to Dawkins and his ilk as much as you want, I couldn't care less.

Just stop being so obnoxious about it in the process, it's boorish in the extreme to be quite honest.
    orourkeda wrote: »
    There is the touch of fashion statement about atheism at the moment alright.

I have no problem with the belief if that is what someone chooses but I would agree with what you say.
    orourkeda wrote: »
    How much do you know of evolution? Just out of interest.

<frantically roots back for Liah's post that I promised I'd reply to>. Where the feck is it?

You can go through her individual posts by going to her profile. You'll find it easy enough then :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Saganist wrote: »
    You're mixing up what people mean when they say something is fact.

What I mean is that Gravity exists, we can understand how it works to some extent, therefore Gravity is a fact.

Correct me if Im wrong.. !

To the best of my knowledge the scientific community understands how evolution works far better than gravity.

Its witnessed in experiments. The same species of fish have been put in various controlled environments, x generations later you have fish that are changing to take advantage of the environment. Say there is a predator in the environment and the gravel at the base of water body is brown, guesse what, the fish evolve a similar brown colour to gravel to blend in. Take out the predator and they don't evolve to match the gravel.

Or going to search this thread, and put liah in the author part ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MarcusFenix

I had a guy in my class in college who would constantly out of nowhere inform me that I was in fact going to hell, same fella said if young children die they go to hell too:rolleyes:. I know everyone who is religious isn't like this guy(born again Christian) and most people are actually really nice and friendly, but it's these kinds that give ye the bad name! Also the jihadists I suppose but these guys I meet often.

• Advertisement

Here ya go.

It's easy just search within a thread using advanced search under exact boards user name.

Search this thread : Advanced Search : leave search text blank unless you know specifically what you are looking for and just enter the posters name make sure the check box "exact name" is clicked and search every post that poster made on this thread. In this case I used the keyword midlandsmissus to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,391 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

To the best of my knowledge the scientific community understands how evolution works far better than gravity.

Its witnessed in experiments. The same species of fish have been put in various controlled environments, x generations later you have fish that are changing to take advantage of the environment. Say there is a predator in the environment and the gravel at the base of water body is brown, guesse what, the fish evolve a similar brown colour to gravel to blend in. Take out the predator and they don't evolve to match the gravel.
    Do you have a link to that research?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Tonnes and tonnes and tonnes of evidence exists for Evolution. Just because you are ignorant to it, does not make me wrong.

And as for providing you with evidence.... i'm not going to hold your hand! Open a bloody book :rolleyes:

I've told you I'm open minded, I've asked you for irrefutable evidence and you still have not and cannot provide me with it. But hey don't take it personally, because this is a common flaw in the theory of evolution.

Oh I've read plenty of books on this matter I can assure you - books on a theory I might add. Now whether you read 10 books on a theory or a 100, it doesn't mean what you are reading is truth. Theory is not fact!

You persist in saying evolution in incontravertable fact - I persist in asking you to prove it. Maybe I've read the wrong books or perhaps searched in the wrong direction. Since your so sure that this theory is a fact, I ask for your learned guidance and tell what or where you got this enlightened from.

It's all gone a bit spanish inquisition like, ''This is right you are wrong.''...''Don't question me, I don't have to prove anything.'' Once you couldn't question the church, now you can't question Darwinism. Fcuk that's progress for you I suppose.

I would also advise you not to insult me again by calling me ignorant, insult is the lowest form of debate. I don't blindly follow, I naturally question and evaluate. So if this is ignorance to you, well I take it as a compliment then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Aldebaran wrote: »
    Isn't everybody an atheist about something? Surely you can't believe in every single god that mankind has dreamed up?

the difference between atheists and christians is just one god

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

I've told you I'm open minded, I've asked you for irrefutable evidence and you still have not and cannot provide me with it. But hey don't take it personally, because this is a common flaw in the theory of evolution.

Oh I've read plenty of books on this matter I can assure you - books on a theory I might add. Now whether you read 10 books on a theory or a 100, it doesn't mean what you are reading is truth. Theory is not fact!

You persist in saying evolution in incontravertable fact - I persist in asking you to prove it. Maybe I've read the wrong books or perhaps searched in the wrong direction. Since your so sure that this theory is a fact, I ask for your learned guidance and tell what or where you got this enlightened from.

It's all gone a bit spanish inquisition like, ''This is right you are wrong.''...''Don't question me, I don't have to prove anything.'' Once you couldn't question the church, now you can't question Darwinism. Fcuk that's progress for you I suppose.

I would also advise you not to insult me again by calling me ignorant, insult is the lowest form of debate. I don't blindly follow, I naturally question and evaluate. So if this is ignorance to you, well I take it as a compliment then.

Talk origins is a good place to start

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc/

It's not an insult, it's the truth.

I actually think you are the only person here who doesn't believe that Evolution is true. There is tonnes of evidence. But you arw asking me for proof?

Do you want me to bring you to a lecture> To a museum? What? What is it that you want?

If you want proof, go find it.

Again, i'm not your daddy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

liah wrote: »
    For ragg, midlandsmissus, Audrey, etc.. in case you missed it the first time.

Hi Liah, I'm back from chawing away :D, promised you I'd reply

If spiritual people are more respectful of other's beliefs, why do so many focus on converting others, and why is Ireland a Catholic country, and why is the middle east in religious shambles, and why does the Phelps family exist, why have religions warred with each other for centuries to convert one another, why are there so many Christians posting in the A&A forum, etc.

Good point but I would say alot of so called 'religious' people are as far away from spirituality as anyone could be. E.G. paedophile priests. I think religions were set up for mass control mainly. I think spirituality is an entirely seperate thing. An idividual thing.
    I would consider myself spiritual,but I'm not perfect. I can lose my temper, but I try to be respectful of other's beliefs. This doesn't seem to come across from alot of atheist/religious people.?

It's not down to "spiritual people are more respectful" or "atheists are more respectful." It's down to "some people are more respectful of others regardless of their religion or lack thereof."

True in a sense. But I think groups often take on a mob mentality of 'the others are stupid and wrong and we are right" mentality, be it athiesm or religion. It's important to think for yourself and not follow the herd on either side.

Turning it into some anti-atheistic statement is only going to raise hackles. We all know it's true for all religions, nationalities, races, whatever else. Condescension is a human trait, not a religious one.

I don't feel particularly condescending most of the time, do you? I genuinely feel love and respect for all other human beings. Look how important we all are! I can get angry with other people believe me, but at the end of the day I realise the importance of all of us.

I'm not saying some atheists aren't condescending, but honestly I'd put that up to the fact that atheists have been seen in an unfavourable light for centuries and it's only in the last few decades, even, that it's really starting to become universally accepted as a legitimate viewpoint on a large scale.

I'd disagree there, in Ireland yes. On a side note it sometimes boggles my mind how people can define themselves by lack of belief in a God, an eternal conundrum if you think about it..

More and more atheists finally find it okay to speak about it and the religious are taking offense because, quite simply, they haven't had to deal with it before. There hasn't been a threat to religion for so long, they haven't a clue what to think of it.
    I really don't agree with this. No-one cares as much about this as atheists would like to think. To use a reference there's an oppressed attitude going around of "I'm the only athiest in the village". You are obviously not in the monority in this country anymore, so it doesn't really make any sense?

So here we are, a bunch of bitter, repressed atheists who are just now allowed to express their lack of belief and be taken seriously, and there you are, the spiritual ones shocked at the venom displayed and saying it's uncalled for. Well, yeah. It is condescending, a lot of the time, but I hate to be the one to say this-- payback is a bitch. We have to deal with religious stuff on a regular basis, most of which the religious don't notice because it's supposed to be there and they take it for granted and don't bother to think that others may view it differently to they do. And that's where this crap comes up.
    Just now allowed to express their beliefs? I was an atheist 20 years ago, the catholic church didn't go up in smoke when they met me. Payback? How about living side by side harmoniously?

The reason you see so much hate against the RCC in particular is because it's the most influential. Not that atheists don't know anything about other religions. The RCC is just the biggest, most loud-mouthed, most negatively influential one from an atheists' viewpoint.

I live in Ireland and the Catholic Church has zero effect on me, honestly it has no impact whatsoever on my life. You choose what effects you.

Medicman, would you care telling us in your own words just what, if anything,is wrong with the following statements from a theory of evolution perspective.

A cat will give birth to a dog.
    The strongest don't always survive, humans are evidence of that.
    Evolution doesn't explain how we got here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

As for proof? How about genetics, genetic similarities prove that every single living species on the planet is related. Some closer than others, our closest relatives are chimps. It may not satisfy people to know we are related to bananas, but it's true none the less.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭JohnathanM

It may not satisfy people to know we are related to bananas, but it's true none the less.

I personally take a strange comfort from that fact. Speaking of Comfort:

Advertisement