Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"no, I'm actually an athiest"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

I believe our closest are actually Bonobos.

Not sure on %'s, But I thought I heard somewhere they were our closest relatives.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

As for proof? How about genetics, genetic similarities prove that every single living species on the planet is related. Some closer than others, our closest relatives are chimps. It may not satisfy people to know we are related to bananas, but it's true none the less.

I just ate a banana, thanks :)

Apparantly pigs have a very high percentage of the same dna as us. Anyone know anything more about that? Couldn't look at a pig the same since I read that, they do have a very human looking face and pink skin...:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

DOC09UNAM wrote: »

Not sure on %'s, But I thought I heard somewhere they were our closest relatives.
    Meh... whatever:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Viruses aren't even considered to be 'alive' and yet they evolve all the time to counter the new resistances that thier hosts develop

Meh... whatever:pac:
    I remember seeing one able to use a computer and reply to messages.

Was pretty cool tbh, smart little dudes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Medicman: would you care to explain your understanding of the difference between a theory and a fact

Again, I find myself repeating myself. Read the posts and you will see that I am subtle trying to point out that people are confusing Theory and Fact. Now since I'm highlighting this confusion, why do you feel the need to ask me to provide my definition? Should this question not be addressed to people who are actually confusing the difference between the two?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Apparantly pigs have a very high percentage of the same dna as us. Anyone know anything more about that? Couldn't look at a pig the same since I read that, they do have a very human looking face and pink skin...:eek:

In biology class in university they had us dissecting fetal pigs because their structure is so similar to human anatomy. Making the first cut was pretty creepy but after that it was just cool to see how things work internally.

Again, I find myself repeating myself. Read the posts and you will see that I am subtle trying to point out that people are confusing Theory and Fact. Now since I'm highlighting this confusion, why do you feel the need to ask me to provide my definition? Should this question not be addressed to people who are actually confusing the difference between the two?
    Evolution is FACT.

Just watch this short documentary.

Also, if Evolution wasn't a FACT, we wouldn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

And i am unsubtly trying to tell you that tonnes of evidence exists and you keep ignoring it.

Ah well! Please yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

DOC09UNAM wrote: »

Ahh Bonobos soo cute I could not pass up this opportunity to provide a cutesy video of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

MrStuffins wrote: »
    And i am unsubtly trying to tell you that tonnes of evidence exists and you keep ignoring it.QUOTE]

Ignoring it? I'm searching for this absolute proof, where is it? You keep making generalised, unsubstantiated claims, therefore you are not and cannot help me in my quest.

Ignoring it? I'm searching for this absolute proof, where is it? You keep making generalised, unsubstantiated claims, therefore you are not and cannot help me in my quest.

Prove gravity absolutely first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

PAULWATSON wrote: »
    I don't pride myself on "the scientific method", or believe in evolution for that matter.

I hope I'm the 50 millionth person to do this but, WTF :confused:

I feel my intelligence will be sorely affected if I read this 27 page moneter
    [latex] 27 \ pages \ \cdot \ \frac{40 \ posts}{page} \ \approx \ 1080 \ posts[/latex]

but seriously, wtf... :confused:

Give me absolute proof you exist first

edit: Seriously? Do you know how irrelevant this question is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

This has already been dealt with several times in the thread, and you obviously (and somewhat understandably) haven't read it in full. This poster covered it pretty well:
    Malty_T wrote: »
    People here have been saying that evolution hasn't been 100% proven, others are saying it has; it hasn't. Science doesn't prove anything absolutely, it still hasn't been 100% proven that the Earth is smaller than the Sun. Or that Ice turns into water when melted. Science doesn't deal in proofs, yet what we can say is that it seems beyond reasonable doubt that the Sun is larger than earth, and in that sense it can be regarded as colloquial fact. Evolution can also be regarded as a colloquial fact, there is a debate alright, but not the kind of debate anti-evolutionists would like lay people to think there is. Scientists still debate mechanisms or aspects of evolutionary theory, what they don't doubt is that organisms changed over time via various selection processes. Anti- evolution is purely driven by people who think their holy books written thousands of years ago are to be taken literal and as a fact. Ask most modern day theologians about Exegesis and they'll tell you that parts of the bible are a poem and metaphor, not a fact. In fact, most modern day theologians accept evolution because it's quite simply a part of reality.
    Evolution cannot be 100% proven, therefore it can only be considered a fact in the colloquial sense that Earth goes around the sun is a fact. It's only a theory and that's all it ever will be. The only thing science can actually prove is that if a theory is wrong, never right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Evolution is a theory and a fact. That is all.

I hope I'm the 50 millionth person to do this but, WTF :confused:

I feel my intelligence will be sorely affected if I read this 27 page moneter
    [latex] 27 \ pages \ \cdot \ \frac{40 \ posts}{page} \ \approx \ 1080 \ posts[/latex]

but seriously, wtf... :confused:

You could just have looked at the post number : 1097 at the time of writing.;)

Edit : And now it's 1100.

You could just have looked at the post number : 1097 at the time of writing.;)

Edit : And now it's 1100.

Yes, that would have saved me writing in latex :D Luckily I just clicked
    post after reading that thing I quoted and saved myself some ridiculous
    comments midway ;)

Yes, that would have saved me writing in latex :D Luckily I just clicked
    post after reading that thing I quoted and saved myself some ridiculous
    comments midway ;)

You're not endearing yourself to anyone with an opposing viewpoint by simply ignoring their posts on the basis that you're above reading them.. has the number of 'thanks' in the OP increased yet?

You're not endearing yourself to anyone with an opposing viewpoint by simply ignoring their posts on the basis that you're above reading them.. has the number of 'thanks' in the OP increased yet?

I'm not trying to be endearing ;) idk about the OP I only seen it 5 minutes
    ago but the thanks were huge underneath it which is pretty scary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

its very simple. evolution is a FACT, end of story.

the details of how evolution works is the 'theory' part.

it just happens that Darwin's theory happens to be a very good one which has stood up very well against the scrutiny of millions of highly qualified scientists for the last 150 years and has yet to be surpassed as the best explanation despite huge leaps in scientific knowledge since it was first published.

any scientist worth their salt would be ecstatic to disprove even part of Darwin's theory and they would have worldwide acclaim for doing so if it were genuine, but the fact of the matter is that there was very little wrong with it so it has become the accepted standard for how everything works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Viruses aren't even considered to be 'alive' and yet they evolve all the time to counter the new resistances that thier hosts develop
    You know your stuff.

Yeah sponsored is a robot with no life and has time to read over 1,000 posts which is practically the same 40 or 50 posts over and over again. Just repeated on different terms.

I assume you don't accept the Young Earth Creationist view, well then just so you don't want to be perceive as arrogant or above them I suggest you real ALL this thread (and there threads within that it links to).

Fuk it, I just thanked the OP, if we all thank it then we can create the reality that the OP was actually just taking the piss. After all, why would so many atheists thank it if they didn't he was joking?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Fuk it, I just thanked the OP, if we all thank it then we can create the reality that the OP was actually just taking the piss. After all, why would so many atheists thank it if they didn't he was joking?
    you mean he was serious??? :confused:

:p

vibe666 wrote: »
    you mean he was serious??? :confused:

:p

Nope ee wasn't serious. XD
    It was a Ricky Gervais impression.;)

You don't believe in evolution? Hmm. I'd prescribe a course of Ann and Barry books,

My friend was going absolutely mental over these characters, who knew they
    led to someone becoming a smug little atheist evolutionismist. I guess we
    should form an AH mob and challenge every school to put back the morality
    into the world by partaking in a public burning of Ann & Barry.

Yeah sponsored is a robot with no life and has time to read over 1,000 posts which is practically the same 40 or 50 posts over and over again. Just repeated on different terms.

I assume you don't accept the Young Earth Creationist view, well then just so you don't want to be perceive as arrogant or above them I suggest you real ALL this thread (and there threads within that it links to).

lol, I'm not the one expending a hefty percentage of my time refuting what others want to believe in. I've no interest in reading the book of whatever it is I don't believe is true. Has the stamp collector's analogy been used yet? Well i don't do that either, and not doing it doesn't mean I need to be an expert on how it's done. Most of the religious people I know are aware that I'm an atheist and they afford me the right to be one, as do I for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

So.....Has ANYONE been converted to either side then??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

NoQuarter wrote: »
    So.....Has ANYONE been converted to either side then??

I'm now a Creationist :D

Advertisement