Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"no, I'm actually an athiest"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Shake yer dicks this pissing contest is over.

Someone lock this megamess of a thread.

In fairness, i never tried to get into a pissing contest.

I was actually debating here.

But everytime Outlaw Pete appeared it was to have a dig at me!

It got to the point where he was no longer criticizing my views in the thread, but me personally (which is bizarre because i've never met him).

Now him and his like have derailed what was a fun thread :(

That makes me a sad panda! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Why, all aspects of evolution must indeed be true.
    You've been intermittently mentioning these "aspects of evolution" without explaining what you actually mean by the term.

I have no doubt there are some areas of dispute amongst evolutionary biologists, but the general assertion that the gene frequency changes in a population from one generation to the next, and ultimately that different species will emerge from a common ancestor, is not even questioned any more by experts in the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Shake yer dicks this pissing contest is over.

Someone lock this megamess of a thread.

This thread is still good damnit! :pac:
    If people wanna be sarky that's up to them. No point killing the thread for everyone. Some seriously good debate has come out of it (theist and atheist alike).

Galvasean wrote: »
    In fairness to him, you did miss out on some quality debate earlier. I had a read of some of the back n' forth between Liah and Jakkass that happened earlier and it was a good read. You'd do well to read such things before coming in and belittling people.

Yes and i learned a lot from asking Jakkass questions earlier during that very back n' forth.

It was interesting to hear a lot of his views. He's a very intelligent guy with some VERY interesting views on not only his beliefs but creationsim in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Yes and i learned a lot from asking Jakkass questions earlier during that very back n' forth.

It was interesting to hear a lot of his views. He's a very intelligent guy with some VERY interesting views on not only his beliefs but creationsim in general.
    I just wanted a chance to use that quote.

Continue as normal, nothing to see here folks

:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

You'd do well to read such things before coming in and belittling people.

You'd do well to read the thread a little more throughly and you just might see that I was involved in the debate form the beginning and that that particular user has done nothing but insult and post condescending tripe to almost every poster that has disagreed with him.

188 posts on the thread and not once has he shown respect for someone that has not had the same opinion as himself.

Not that he has been the only on that side of the debate to speak down to other users and so when that happens, you can hardly blame people for replying in kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭JohnathanM

I'm going to bed, but I hope to f'ck that Chuck Norris hasn't got wind of this thread. A couple of roundhouse kicks in the night, and he'll do for Ireland's atheists what he did to the dinosaurs when he got bored of walking with them. :eek:

You'd do well to read the thread a little more throughly and you just might see that I was involved in the debate form the beginning and that that particular user has done nothing but insult and post condescending tripe to almost every poster that has disagreed with him.

188 posts on the thread and not once has he shown respect for someone that has not had the same opinion as himself.

Not that he has been the only on that side of the debate to speak down to other users and so when that happens, you can hardly blame people for replying in kind.

Wow, you're kinda obsessed with me aren't ya Pete? ;) I get the impression you'd like to punch me or something. Why so angry?

You are the only user to have taken such offence to me. I was debating, you were not.

Your problem is, you were wading in with your ill thought out views and your condescending attitude and when people asked you questions, you never answered them.

You'd then come back with your big condescending boots, ignore the questions, and have a go at me.

At least i was debating, you were and are just beong obnoxious!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

This threade has too many newfags (i was in a page 7/77 :D)

Goes back to /b/.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Wow, you're kimda obsessed with me aren't ya Pete? ;)

Think it's the other way around actually, but I guess people that don't take the time to read the whole thread, will just listen to your bleatings and think their might be some truth in it, there isn't

Do I really have to go through your 180 odd posts on this thread and quote everytime you threw a dig at me?

I'm done with the thread, keep patronzing people as much as you want.

• Advertisement

Think it's the other way around actually, but I guess people that don't take the time to read the whole thread, will just listen to your bleatings and think their might be some truth in it, there isn't

Do I really have to go through your 180 odd posts on this thread and quote everytime you threw a dig at me?

I'm done with the thread, keep patronzing people as much as you want.

Yeah i did throw digs at you, mostly in response to your digs at me.

From the very start you never got the irony of the fact that you gave out about people being condescending and were the most condescending peron in the thread. Everyone who was here from the start of the thread knows it.

I can quote your posts if you wish, but i know you know this is the truth!

Can't say I agree with that entirely, but I'll try avoid the OutlawPete/MrStuffins - who is obsessed with who bit if that's okay as I haven't read the entirety of the thread (skipped some pages here and there).

Just curious: Did you ever elaborate on what parts of evolution you weren't convinced/satisfied with? (apologies if you have and I missed it)

Bed time.

Apologies Pete, for not sticking around for your reply.
    Another day!

Can't say I agree with that entirely, but I'll try avoid the OutlawPete/MrStuffins - who is obsessed with who bit if that's okay as I haven't read the entirety of the thread (skipped some pages here and there).

Just curious: Did you ever elaborate on what parts of evolution you weren't convinced/satisfied with? (apologies if you have and I missed it)

*Galvasean tries desperately to save thread* :pac:

I, for one, am out! there's not really much else to say!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

One thing that gets annoys me, and I've heard it said by a few people in this thread, that some people seem to think that as an atheist I only call myself that because it's a cool thing to do. Perhaps some people do I don't know, but I certainly don't.

I grew up Catholic, was dragged to mass, confession the lot, but I can honestly say that I never really believed in god, not even as a child.

I prayed at night because my parents told me to and likewise with going to mass until the age of about 16; and I willed myself to believe in god and the church but I just couldn't do it. I couldn't lie to myself and pretend to believe in something I didn't.

Then in my mid-twenties I spent 8 years in a country that has one of the highest numbers of atheists in the world-Sweden, a generally peaceful, tolerant, inclusive and egalitarian nation of people who don't feel the need for religion to inform or shape their morals or lives in their modern secular and pluralistic society and who believe religious beliefs should be a private matter where anyone who's seen proselytising is seen as rather to be pitied and feel a little embarrassed for, rather like a drunk uncle at a wedding :p

And suddenly I didn't feel like a fish out of water as an atheist the way I did in Ireland because in Sweden it's the default position! It was a revelation I can tell you :)
    So it was my positive experiences in Sweden I have largely to thank for helping me come to terms and accept who I am (well that and finally getting closure on religion by defecting from the RCC a few months ago and also through reading books like the God Delusion and some of Hitch's books).
    I felt accepted for my lack of beliefs there and brought that positive feeling back here with me.

I know a lot of people feel differently here of course but whereas before in Ireland I would have been ashamed and embarrassed to admit in public I'm an atheist, now I have no problem in telling people I am if they ask about my beliefs and to hell with people who would judge me harshly for it!
    They're not worth my time at least it's one good way of filtering out intolerant and judgmental assholes from my life I reckon :p

The only little bit of sadness that has come with my lack of belief is knowing I'll probably never see my Dad again in an afterlife.:(

Anyway tl;dr. Basically I just wanted to say no I'm not an atheist because it's cool or trendy or to fit with my liberal political views and I resent people telling me I am. It's an insult to my intelligence TBH.

I've arrived at where I am as a result of my natural scepticism and the application of rational thinking, logic and critical thinking skills and because there is not a shred of credible evidence for the existence of any god and so came to the only conclusion that makes any sense to me-there is no god and all religion is bunkum and a con.

edit: Oh and of course evolution is based in fact, for feck sake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Lads leave it out, OutlawPete has some knowledge or information that falsifies the theory of evolution, knowledge that has eluded scientists for decades.

Come on Pete, let's have it! Don't be shy. You've got data that shows that the overwhelming scientific consensus is off the mark, so please show it and set us straight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Dave! wrote: »
    Lads leave it out, OutlawPete has some knowledge or information that falsifies the theory of evolution, knowledge that has eluded scientists for decades.

Come on Pete, let's have it! Don't be shy. You've got data that shows that the overwhelming scientific consensus is off the mark, so please show it and set us straight!

Typical condescending atheist trying to deny God so that he can have weird sex tbh. Stung rapid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

strobe wrote: »
    Typical condescending atheist trying to deny God so that he can have weird sex tbh. Stung rapid.

:D

ssshhh! don't tell them that! they'll all want to be atheists if they find out about all the weird sex we have!

I've been following this thread for the last two days, gawd help me, with a few contributions to it myself but have to call it a night.

Look forward to catching up with another 40 pages tomorrow :(:D

TBH I don't think God/the Universe/Whatever (I think it's the first, but that's just me, and I ain't debatin on it) cares about all the weird sex people have. Long as you're both happy with it, it's all good.

Life of Creation, not Destruction folks, Good idea, God or no God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭virmilitaris

PAULWATSON wrote: »
    These days, it seems everyone is tearing about the place mouthing off about "being an athiest".

Well we've had to listen to religious nonsense for the past 6,000 years and counting. Last time I checked I didn't see many Atheists evangelising, walking down streets shouting at the top of their voices about fictional character X, knocking on my door at all hours informing me of the 'good news' or telling lies to children to try to indoctrinate them into said nonsense.

So while I can agree with you that people 'mouthing off' is unpleasant, I fail to see why you attack atheism, which doesn't come anywhere near the level of religious 'mouthing off' people have been subjected to and continue to be subjected to.
    One thing always bothered me about evolution, according to the theory the people around you are the fittest "best of the best" after two million years of dog eat dog. Now looking at this lot, what must the prototype have been like, a right clown I'd say.

So you don't have a problem with Evolution since that's not what Evolution says ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

I'm an Atheist.
    You're a Christian.
    I bet you have never read the bible from start to finish. I have. And thats why I'm an Atheist :D

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    I'm an Atheist.
    You're a Christian.
    I bet you have never read the bible from start to finish. I have. And thats why I'm an Atheist :D

You are also smug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

You are also smug.

Is that a no, then?

efb wrote: »
    Is that a no, then?

A no to what?

Can I not say he is smug, without you questioning me? Or are you smug as well?

You are also smug.

Lol how am I smug? Because I actually did some research on what I believe in?
    Don't be a sheep and at least read the book that is supposed to "guide" your life. You will see that it is nothing but random rambling and a bunch of half-assed stories :rolleyes:

Lol how am I smug? Because I actually did some research on what I believe in?
    Don't be a sheep and at least read the book that is supposed to "guide" your life. You will see that it is nothing but random rambling and a bunch of half-assed stories :rolleyes:

You just assumed I believe because I said you were smug?

I'm assuming you haven't been following the thread, or you would have realised I am also an athiest, goes for you too Mr efb.

You just assumed I believe because I said you were smug?

I'm assuming you haven't been following the thread, or you would have realised I am also an athiest, goes for you too Mr efb.

Yes because I have to read a whole thread on Religion vs Atheism (essentially thats all the thread has turned into) over 70 pages long at 7:30am. Sorry I just don't have the time.

As for the smug comment then you could say yes I am smug. Simply because I know what Christians are supposed to believe in and I am happy that I don't believe in a burning bush that talks to people. :rolleyes:

A no to what?

Can I not say he is smug, without you questioning me? Or are you smug as well?

The question re Reading the bible from start to finish? Have you.

Also maybe I'm a little smug today- I came out to my parents yesterday and my Catholic mum was cool with it, here exact words were

'Jesus loves you, don't mind the pope- he knew to keep his trap shut in London!'

This from a devout catholic, maybe she's more Christian after all...

Jesus did have some great things to say the whole casting the first stone being a personal favourite!

Yes because I have to read a whole thread on Religion vs Atheism (essentially thats all the thread has turned into) over 70 pages long at 7:30am. Sorry I just don't have the time.

As for the smug comment then you could say yes I am smug. Simply because I know what Christians are supposed to believe in and I am happy that I don't believe in a burning bush that talks to people. :rolleyes:

I completely agree with you, it is BS in my eyes, but, I thought it was slightly smuggish to act like you're smarter than them, before even engaging with them, for all you know, they have all read the bible from start to finish, but you just automatically assume they haven't, a tad smug tbh.

That said, I agree with you completely.
    efb wrote: »
    The question re Reading the bible from start to finish? Have you.

Also maybe I'm a little smug today- I came out to my parents yesterday and my Catholic mum was cool with it, here exact words were

'Jesus loves you, don't mind the pope- he knew to keep his trap shut in London!'

This from a devout catholic, maybe she's more Christian after all...

Jesus did have some great things to say the whole casting the first stone being a personal favourite!

Wait, if you are an Atheist, why are you quoting Jesus?

I didn't call you smug, in fact the only thing I said to you was I haven't read the bible, and I am an athiest.

• Advertisement

I completely agree with you, it is BS in my eyes, but, I thought it was slightly smuggish to act like you're smarter than them, before even engaging with them, for all you know, they have all read the bible from start to finish, but you just automatically assume they haven't, a tad smug tbh.

That said, I agree with you completely.

Wait, if you are an Atheist, why are you quoting Jesus?

I didn't call you smug, in fact the only thing I said to you was I haven't read the bible, and I am an athiest.
    Because Jesus son of Joseph and Mary was a great philosopher at worst.

I'm more agnostic than atheist, I don't believe in an afterlife, but I dont discount the existence of a higher being!

Advertisement