Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"no, I'm actually an athiest"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    How would you respond to "you can't prove god doesn't exist" in a non-condescending and bearable way?
    You say correct, in most cases you cannot prove a negative.

http://skepticwiki.org/index.php/%22You_Can%27t_Prove_a_Negative%22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Think it's the other way around actually, but I guess people that don't take the time to read the whole thread, will just listen to your bleatings and think their might be some truth in it, there isn't

Do I really have to go through your 180 odd posts on this thread and quote everytime you threw a dig at me?

I'm done with the thread, keep patronzing people as much as you want.

I clicked your username and went through your posts in this thread. There were 3-- just 3-- that couldn't be construed as being flippant, churlish, smug, or condescending. Every single other post of yours sniped. You contributed basically nothing, disappeared whenever we offered to engage in legitimate debate, and came back in just to snipe and disappear again.

Odd behaviour for someone who claims to be all about respect. Or whatever it is you're going for.
    You'd do well to read the thread a little more throughly and you just might see that I was involved in the debate form the beginning and that that particular user has done nothing but insult and post condescending tripe to almost every poster that has disagreed with him.

188 posts on the thread and not once has he shown respect for someone that has not had the same opinion as himself.

Not that he has been the only on that side of the debate to speak down to other users and so when that happens, you can hardly blame people for replying in kind.

Eh, MrStuffins was fine with anyone who was actually respectful. Check out our discussion with Jakkass, he was nothing but polite.
    Well, that's how I tend to use the Internet, online for a few hours, offline for a few, sorry if you live online.

Must be a drag to live like that I really, especially when that's all the existence that you think you'll ever have, you not believing in an afterlife and all.

Seriously, dude? Look at what you're crying out against and compare it to what you're saying. When you come in, throw out snipes like this, what are you expecting the response to be, hm? Of course you're getting negative reactions, because, quite frankly, you're coming across as an arrogant, bitter person in this thread. I don't think you're like that but I have to say I'm pretty shocked altogether.

[QUOTE=OutlawPete;68441223]Thread has now evolved into the usual Circle jerk.

Why, all aspects of evolution must indeed be true.
    [/QUOTE]

Again, more completely unnecessary flippancy. The thread wasn't even heated, they were all making jokes and taking the piss, and yet you STILL can't let your bitterness drop.
    Really?

You have accused me of being condescending quite a few times, which I find laughable to be quite honest with you.

Take this recent post from you:

You are quite simply the most arrogant and condescending poster on this thread and have been from the start.

You Sir, are the poster boy for what the OP was complaining about.

I won't bother pointing out the hypocrisy.
    Quite sad.

You, among others, are making the error of thinking that because you have stated something on this thread and posters who disagreed, then did not return, that this must then mean that you were right and that they have somehow accepted what you have said as being fact.

Arrogance in the extreme.

Calling someone else "quite sad" is also pretty arrogant.
    There two quotes do NOT contradict each other,in as you are so smugly trying to imply.

I don't believe the latter, precisely because I don't accept the former.

More flippancy.. for no apparent reason at all, at that.
    Of FFS!!!

When will you people get it into your head, that just because there are some people that do not accept ALL aspects of the Theory Of Evolution, DOES NOT mean that they do not believe that humans, plants and animals are evolving.

COMPLETELY uncalled for reaction tbh, and the fact that you keep coming in with these hysterical responses and yet REFUSE to tell us what your point of view is so we can include it and debate it isn't doing you any favours.

We would be well willing to engage in respectful debate with you as we did with Jakkass, who I'm sure holds far more extreme religious views than yourself. But not if you keep overreacting and flipping out and completely acting the way you're chastising.
    Aye, I believe they put that 'report post' button there for such occasions.

Oh sorry, where you speaking of MrStuffin's Theory of Evolution?

I don't sneer and laugh at people who believe things and go about their business as atheists do.

Well most condescending atheists sound as obnoxious as him, so they'll have to excuse the misunderstanding that they must in fact be members of his fan club.

Most atheists have a boner for Dawkins, so you'll just have to get used to be tarred with the same brush for awhile.

Are you serious?

I have already stated that I believe humans are evolving, just as all animals and plants are and also that I believe 99% of all religions are a nonsense.

No doesn't that tell you that I am not a creationist?

Yet, you still think that because I don't buy all aspects of the 'Theory of Evolution', then I must put forth a "counter reason"???

Okay, here's one.

Creatures from another plant came down and took samples of Chimpanzee DNA and mixed it with their own and created us, kinda like how we stick human ears on mice and shit.

Will that do?

Not if you fully read people's post you won't.

Not if you fully .. you get the picture.

He asked you to specify which theory of evolution you were so vehemently decrying in your hysterical responses, and yet again you return with an utterly flippant, childish response. If you had just honestly answered without the attitude problem, again, I'm sure he would've returned in kind and the debate could've gone an awful lot nicer.

You claim many times you weren't condescending at all in this entire thread but I would seriously, seriously like to beg to differ based on this little collection here.
    None of my posts have been condescending, neither the ones I posted before going to see Mr Nice, nor the ones after.

My last post, where I was accused of being condescending , was made in response to a condescending post asking me if I had read two particular books but yet said they most likely knew the answer.

Think the sarcasm in that post was lost on some, but hey - you do your best.

Course, if I was up my own arse, as most Atheists appear to be, I would of course say that in that post I was being ironic :)

Possible or not, they are entitled to their opinion and should be allowed to post without being labeled a troll.

Are you kidding?

You have been spouting on about it being "fact" and "proven, without a shadow of a doubt" from the very start of the thread:

Seriously? You claim you've not been condescending and try to defend when you were, and then follow up with calling us up our own arses?

Do you have any idea how self-defeatist you're being? Be reasonable, like!
    Yes.

Hence the reply in the tone of intellectually challenged slack jawed sister shagging hillbilly.

When atheists and Dawkins sycophants start treating those on the opposite side of the debate with a little respect, instead of the usual patronizing comments, maybe that won't be necessary.

It's not an "atheists and Dawkins sycophant" problem. It's a HUMAN PROBLEM. Condescension belongs to both religion and atheism. Stop pretending like we're the only ones doing it, it's been incredibly evident from both sides since the beginning of the thread.
    Ah, ya gots me.

No flies on you fellers.

I be thinking I knows a things or too, but I guess y'all folks with yer darn book smarts and all, be too darn clever for my sorts.

I'll be on my way now, maybes I should do me some book learning, like you city folk.

Y'all be taking care now, y'hear.

More flippancy and churlishness.
    Ah, its 'nit picking' when somebody says something that shows your points to be invalid, but yet it's then fine for you to argue semantics about the use of the word 'theory'.

:rolleyes:

Users are not trolls just because they don't roll over and agree with you.

'Evolution' is not just a loose term that is saying humans, plants and animals evolve over time but we are not sure why and that there is a possibilty that they could all be connected in some way.

If that was the case, then nobody would have a problem with that 'Theory'.

However, Darwin's 'Theory of Evolution' is much much more than that.

Darwin puts forth the "fact" that ALL life stems from a single source!

This is the absolute backbone of the Theory of Evolution and there is NO EVIDENCE to back this up, perhaps there may never be.

Hey, that's something that you may have in common with Christians actually, you both believe in something that can quite possibly never be proven.

There is more than one theory of evolution and Darwin's is not the universally accepted one. It was the backbone for further exploration on the subject, yes, but since you refuse to tell us in any lucid way which theory of evolution you're actually talking about, and are continually bringing up Darwin, it's only fair for us to assume you're talking about that one (making your argument invalid as there has been proven, documented evolution and it is very much a "fact" in the way that gravity is a fact) because you refuse to offer anything else. Then you get mad because we're "assuming" so many things, and yet keep making blanket statements about what we atheists do/don't do/say/don't say/act/don't act.

You're just making it harder for yourself and CONSTANTLY fighting with us. You're not helping to remedy the situation at all and just making yourself look like a total hypocrite. I thought you were far more reasonable and level-headed than this. I'm well shocked.
    "Explained" to me? :p

More condescension, lets stick to this thread, yeah.

Cop out.

Answer these points, should be no bother to you, what with Evolution (and all that term entails) being an irrefutable fact:
    • Tell us who our common ancestors were, you know - the species that humans and apes evolved from.
    • Tell us were that 'common ancestor' is today.
    • If they have died out - tell us why they died out and how.
    • Is there hard scientific proof (of course there is, right?)

All your questions were answered and yet you refused to accept it. Don't blame us for getting frustrated with your continual sniping and refusing to accept things or debate them in any intelligent way that we could work with.
    No it is not, far from it.

It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that we are evolving, but that is not even remotely the same thing.

It's called the 'Evolution Theory' for a reason.

When people talk about Evolution and whether or not they believe in it, there are so many different claims that have to be taken into consideration and claims touted as facts, that they have to accept.

For that reason I say that I don't believe in evolution.

NOT because I don't think we have evolved as humans, but that I don't believe EVERYTHING that is claimed.

Science whores regularly get blinded by what science shoves down their throats, a healthy dose of common sense would do most people who participate in the usual circle jerks, the world of good.

Of you go and tell me who our common ancestors were, you know - the species that humans and apes evolved from.

While you're at it, can you tell us were that 'common ancestor' is now.

If they have died out, can you tell us why and how.

Oh and can you include some hard scientific proof of that also.

Cheers.

Again, this was all covered, but you still refused to accept it.
    They do in their arse :p

They talk down to people at any given chance, usually in the most condescending of manners.

I have seen them compare people that believe human beings have souls, to those that have mental illnesses.

You can't get much more condescending than that.

Do you not have ANY idea what you have done throughout the entire thread?
    Have to agree with the OP here.

People just can't wait to tell you that they are atheists these days.

I really don't care if people are or not.

It's the fact that they titter and sneer at anyone who happens to believe in any kind of spirituality, that I find so contemptible.

Go and masturbate to Dawkins and his ilk as much as you want, I couldn't care less.

Just stop being so obnoxious about it in the process, it's boorish in the extreme to be quite honest.

We'll stop when you stop.

I'm done with this thread. Ridiculously disappointed with an awful lot of things in it right now and I'm just done with it.

Good luck, and sorry to anyone I didn't get around to responding to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

What I mean: there are some people who thanked that post who you thought of as good in some way and are surprised that they thanked it.
    My thinking is you could learn from how so many people view atheists. The people who thanked the post obviously found a lot of atheists smug.
    Then you could think about that fact and try and understand why they feel like that.
    Sorry for not being clear.

+1.
    Except, I'd change to bolded text to "some, (very vocal) atheists."
    There are also several atheists/agnostics who post on a regular basis for whom I have a lot of respect. There are also some I find myself agreeing with on a regular basis, whether I am aware that they are atheists, or not!

It might also be worth noting that thanking a post does not necessarily mean someone agrees with everything that was stated in that post - it may just mean that someone agrees with part of the post, - or even that they found it funny!

Noreen

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Jakkass wrote: »
    ^^ Some atheists are more respectful than some theists, in the same way that some theists are more respectful than some atheists. How unremarkable?
    Not unremarkable until you notice that the majority of the blanket insults are coming from the "god" side of the debate.

This is to be expected, since the god-side continually tell themselves and each other that they are on the side of the angels, have access to perfect information, infinite intelligence, perfect morals etc, etc, etc.

Atheists make no claims to such preposterously arrogant intellectual positions and do not display -- as Cardinal Murphy-O'Conner did -- the inevitable consequences of taking religious beliefs seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭DJP

God is The All- everything. We are all part of God and we are all individuations of God. As Deepak Chopra said when being interviewed by Gay Byrne on RTÉ last night "I was an atheist until I found out that I was God." :)

• Advertisement

smokingman wrote: »
    Hi, my name is Smokingman.....and I am as smug as they come.
    Why am I smug? Why it's because I'm living my life for every second, according to what I consider right and not according to the delusional ramblings of people who believe in tooth fairies.....and generally much happier inside than Razis followers (or any other religion for that matter).

You don't believe in evolution eh? SMUG FACTOR OVERLOAD!!!!!!!
    I'll just point and laugh now.....
    Ha,....Ha

Just one thing...please don't reproduce. Thank you.

Oh dear! I'm one of what you rather condescendingly refer to as "Razis followers".

I just thought I should let you know that I believe in evolution. The Catholic Church also "believes" in evolution - and has no problem with "Razis followers" believing in it.:D:D

I'm afraid you're a little late in "suggesting" that I don't reproduce - I already have!

Perhaps you're confusing "Creationists" with "Catholics"?

Noreen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Noreen1 wrote: »
    Oh dear! I'm one of what you rather condescendingly refer to as "Razis followers".

I just thought I should let you know that I believe in evolution. The Catholic Church also "believes" in evolution - and has no problem with "Razis followers" believing in it.:D:D

I'm afraid you're a little late in "suggesting" that I don't reproduce - I already have!

Noreen
    Noreen1 im not trying to be disrespectful to you but how can you and your church believe in evolution when thats not how the bible recounts creation. If you take the story of genesis as a metaphore, where does the metaphore end and where does the church begin to take the bible literally. Are the miracles mention in various books of the bible also metaphores or are they taken as fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

PAULWATSON wrote: »
    These days, it seems everyone is tearing about the place mouthing off about "being an athiest".

Is this some sort of snobbish "new, new Ireland" thing that has passed me bye?

No bible basher myself, however I don't ever want to be confused with an athiest. I don't pride myself on "the scientific method", or believe in evolution for that matter.

One thing always bothered me about evolution, according to the theory the people around you are the fittest "best of the best" after two million years of dog eat dog. Now looking at this lot, what must the prototype have been like, a right clown I'd say.

(paedo this, paedo that, blah, blah, catholic church, blah, had enough, blah, superstition, blah, we're so educated, blah.)

Are you a smug little athiest?

Okay, I've just come across this thread and I have the attention span of a fruit fly, so I didn't read most oft he previous 80 odd pages. I just wanted to get my 0.02 in.

I am an atheist, I don't believe in God, Allah, Yahweh, Buddha, Vishnu etc. Neither do I believe in angels, coloured crystals or the healing power of whale songs. But I don't spend my days debating the origins of the universe with all and sundry either. My beliefs (or lack of) are my own.

Why? because I see no evidence.

Am I a smug atheist?

Not all atheists are christian beaters, and I have no time for the likes of Dawkins, I find him pompous and aggressive.

No I don't go around belittling people because they believe in some fella sitting in the clouds. I have no problem with people having faith in a higher power so long as they don't try to convert me or belittle me. If it brings them comfort or empowers them in some way then kudos to them.

What do I believe in?

I believe in living a full and happy life. I don't hate anybody (not saying that I dont likesome people), I don't wish harm on any body. I love others and I hope that others love me. It is my belief that this life is the only one I will have and I intend to live it and not be in fear of burning for eternity. Plus the idea of existing forever in an afterlife isn't something that appeals to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

God is The All- everything. We are all part of God and we are all individuations of God. As Deepak Chopra said when being interviewed by Gay Byrne on RTÉ last night "I was an atheist until I found out that I was God." :)

If there's one thing I admire about Deepak Chopra, it's his utter shamelessness when spouting that nonsensical word-salad without a shred of proof or even a half-effort at explaining it in metaphysical terms. He makes me laugh with derision every single time I see him on TV. Yet he is no worse than any other fraud trying to steal people's money by making absurd claims like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Of you go and tell me who our common ancestors were, you know - the species that humans and apes evolved from.

While you're at it, can you tell us were that 'common ancestor' is now.

If they have died out, can you tell us why and how.

Oh and can you include some hard scientific proof of that also.

Cheers.

I don't know if fossils of the exact point of divergence have been found or if it would be possible to definitively point to a fossil as the point where the species diverged. You can however look up a great number of fossils that show the progress along the way. As for how and why they died out, again that's something that's very difficult to determine but 99% of species that have ever lived are now extinct so the idea that this species is now extinct really isn't that amazing. It would be more amazing if it wasn't.

I can give you one good example though to show that we had a common ancestor with apes (sorry if it's already been covered). One of the major problems facing the theory of common descent was that the great apes have 48 chromosomes and we have 46. What scientists found was that our chromosome 2 is nearly identical to two chromosomes in chimpanzees. The chromosome also has telomeres in the middle of it that are normally only found at the ends of chromosomes. The conclusion is that two chromosomes in apes fused end to end to form our chromosome 2.

You don't have to go digging in the ground to find evidence of common descent, it's not even the best way. The evidence is right there in our DNA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromosome_2_%28human%29

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I don't know if fossils of the exact point of divergence have been found or if it would be possible to definitively point to a fossil as the point where the species diverged. You can however look up a great number of fossils that show the progress along the way. As for how and why they died out, again that's something that's very difficult to determine but 99% of species that have ever lived are now extinct so the idea that this species is now extinct really isn't that amazing. It would be more amazing if it wasn't.

I can give you one good example though to show that we had a common ancestor with apes (sorry if it's already been covered). One of the major problems facing the theory of common descent was that the great apes have 48 chromosomes and we have 46. What scientists found was that our chromosome 2 is nearly identical to two chromosomes in chimpanzees. The chromosome also has telomeres in the middle of it that are normally only found at the ends of chromosomes. The conclusion is that two chromosomes in apes fused end to end to form our chromosome 2.

You don't have to go digging in the ground to find evidence of common descent, it's not even the best way. The evidence is right there in our DNA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromosome_2_%28human%29

Not that digging in the ground has been completely unproductive :p

http://microecos.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/hominid-tree.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭DJP

If there's one thing I admire about Deepak Chopra, it's his utter shamelessness when spouting that nonsensical word-salad without a shred of proof or even a half-effort at explaining it in metaphysical terms. He makes me laugh with derision every single time I see him on TV. Yet he is no worse than any other fraud trying to steal people's money by making absurd claims like that.

It's called faith and the sad people don't have it. The happy people do. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

I find it ironic how Dawkins tells people 'dont listen to the church this, dont believe what your parents tell you about religion that', so we'll all just believe what you tell us will we Richard? That sounds a bit like some other organisation i can think of... Hypocrite.

And vocal atheists annoy the **** out of me, theyre as irritating and hateful as any twat you see standing on a soapbox in town shouting into a mic about how you need to be saved by tha powah ofa jesuah.

Beliefs of any kind are like a penis. Its great to have one, and its cool to be proud of it, but dont try and stick it down my throat.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I find it ironic how Dawkins tells people 'dont listen to the church this, dont believe what your parents tell you about religion that', so we'll all just believe what you tell us will we Richard? That sounds a bit like some other organisation i can think of... Hypocrite.

He would be a hypocrite if he ever said that. Luckily he never said anything of the sort.

Unless you can provide a link to him saying something like that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Bookworm85 wrote: »
    Okay, I've just come across this thread and I have the attention span of a fruit fly, so I didn't read most oft he previous 80 odd pages. I just wanted to get my 0.02 in.

I am an atheist, I don't believe in God, Allah, Yahweh, Buddha, Vishnu etc. Neither do I believe in angels, coloured crystals or the healing power of whale songs. But I don't spend my days debating the origins of the universe with all and sundry either. My beliefs (or lack of) are my own.

Why? because I see no evidence.

Am I a smug atheist?

Not all atheists are christian beaters, and I have no time for the likes of Dawkins, I find him pompous and aggressive.

No I don't go around belittling people because they believe in some fella sitting in the clouds. I have no problem with people having faith in a higher power so long as they don't try to convert me or belittle me. If it brings them comfort or empowers them in some way then kudos to them.

What do I believe in?

I believe in living a full and happy life. I don't hate anybody (not saying that I dont likesome people), I don't wish harm on any body. I love others and I hope that others love me. It is my belief that this life is the only one I will have and I intend to live it and not be in fear of burning for eternity. Plus the idea of existing forever in an afterlife isn't something that appeals to me.

Dawkins is an honest man trying to do his part to make the world a better place in my opinion. He states that he thinks people are deluded on the subject of religion, if that makes him pompous and aggressive then so be it. He is a very intelligent man, so it I think some people can feel inferior to him when he makes his points so they call him arrogant. He is probably a lot smarter than me and I have no problem with that. I like to learn from people of superior intelligence and I wouldn't get defensive for him pointing out how I'm deluded about certain things. I love finding out things I'm deluded about.

I actually think he is by far, more spiritual a human being than most people from what I've seen of him. I don't think he'd call himself spiritual, but from what I can tell, he is often spiritual, at least to my understanding of spirituality ( which would be very similar to Eckhart Tolle's understanding of it).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

And vocal atheists annoy the **** out of me, theyre as irritating and hateful as any twat you see standing on a soapbox in town shouting into a mic about how you need to be saved by tha powah ofa jesuah.

Beliefs of any kind are like a penis. Its great to have one, and its cool to be proud of it, but dont try and stick it down my throat.

The funny thing is, most of the time he says "Listen to what they've got to say, and ask questions. Don't ever accept a "Because I/god(s)/the government/scientists/anybody else says so"."

Of course, I can see how arrogant and threatening that must seem to some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭smokingman

Noreen1 wrote: »

Noreen

Was that directed at you? If you believe in evolution then...why the post?
    I was responding to someone who didn't "believe" in it.
    I know already that catholic hierarchy believes in evolution. My point was that I am happier inside than any religious person I know, no matter what religion. My "smug and arrogant" nature exists in the first place from debating with creationists time and time again and banging my head off brick wall after brick wall. After a long time doing that, I refuse point blank to give them any respect whatsoever because they don't deserve it. What they are doing is subverting real science and dragging it down. They want the dark ages back and I want to be exploring galaxies already!

I'm an atheist although I have a problem with that classification. Why do we get classified as such when it is a fundamental absence of belief, not a belief that you can say, oh, that's measurable, that supposably defines us?
    I know what defines me; my actions, my thoughts, my family; nothing else.
    I find the thought of an atheist organisation an incredible oxymoron.
    "Lets organise our absence of belief!" :rolleyes:

I'm not walking down the street making fun of religious people and tring to convert people to my "cause". I do think that religion is a control device made by man to oppress other men. It always has been. If the catholic churchs head office isn't in Bethleham or Nazareth then why is it in Rome? It's there because a Roman emperor decided to make it (amongst a myriad of others around at the time) the state religion so he could control dissent.
    Simple history will tell you that and you can trace all religions in much the same way - how many "gods" have we, the human race, made up at this stage? Thousands! Is there any proof for even one? No.

I know full well the benefits of religion. When a relative is feeling down/unwell etc, there is solace and comfort in believing there is something out there watching over you or if you miss you dead kin and hope to see them again in an afterlife, that also feels good if you believe. I'm not going to go home to my parents and give out to them for doing this. Their religion is something private that gets them through rough times.

They don't however, go up to real scientists and say "you're wrong, this old book says the earth is 6,000 years old, dinosaur fossils are a result of sediment put down after Noahs flood and all scientific methods of measuring the age of anything is wrong...." oh and my fave, "it's only a theory"

The people that do act like this however are blatent morons and should be treated as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

It would appear indeed, that ignorance is bliss. Especially for those who sell it in bulk.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Rezident

Have to agree with the OP here.

People just can't wait to tell you that they are atheists these days.

I really don't care if people are or not.

It's the fact that they titter and sneer at anyone who happens to believe in any kind of spirituality, that I find so contemptible.

Go and masturbate to Dawkins and his ilk as much as you want, I couldn't care less.

Just stop being so obnoxious about it in the process, it's boorish in the extreme to be quite honest.

Nail hammer head.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Dawkins is an honest man trying to do his part to make the world a better place in my opinion. He states that he thinks people are deluded on the subject of religion, if that makes him pompous and aggressive then so be it. He is a very intelligent man, so it I think some people can feel inferior to him when he makes his points so they call him arrogant. He is probably a lot smarter than me and I have no problem with that. I like to learn from people of superior intelligence and I wouldn't get defensive for him pointing out how I'm deluded about certain things. I love finding out things I'm deluded about.

I actually think he is by far, more spiritual a human being than most people from what I've seen of him. I don't think he'd call himself spiritual, but from what I can tell, he is often spiritual, at least to my understanding of spirituality ( which would be very similar to Eckhart Tolle's understanding of it).

I love Dicky Dawkins, he's a class act. Sometimes he can get frustrated like any person can but his books, particurlarly his popular science ones are excellent.

Also, somebody was wondering which chapter was it in The Greatest Show On Earth comes with a warning not to read if you're feeling tired. It's the chapter on how they date things and it is a bit of a tough read. The chapter on human evolution is a grand and very simple chapter compared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

Scanlas, I don't feel inferior in any way to this man. Yes, he is obviously very intelligent and a hell of lot smarter than I am. Superior intelectually yes, but as a human being? It's just I find him to be very aggressive. This man relishes in hammering his opinions down others throats and (just my opinion) seems to actively seek out opportunities to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

It's fun making up stuff about what people say, makes it harder for someone to argue against it.

I think he's grand and all (prefer his earlier works like Selfish Gene), but the amount of rubbish that people attribute to him is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

Rezident wrote: »
    Nail hammer head.

just the hammer would work either...no point in overdoing things, tis a recession after all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

You'd be right if Dawkins ever actually said that. Yes he frequently comes across as obnoxious, but what he wants you to do is to think critically for yourself, not just blindly accept what the church, your parents, or even he wants you to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Faith without reason..

I lack faith and I'm happy. Have I just disproved your argument ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

"Believing" in evolution, way to miss the point.:rolleyes:

Noreen1 im not trying to be disrespectful to you but how can you and your church believe in evolution when thats not how the bible recounts creation. If you take the story of genesis as a metaphore, where does the metaphore end and where does the church begin to take the bible literally. Are the miracles mention in various books of the bible also metaphores or are they taken as fact.

It's pretty simple really. A day in the Bible usually refers to a period of time, or what we might now describe as an "era".
    It may be a year, and it may be tens of thousands of years.
    I could go off and dig up the information on what parts of the bible refer to as "a day", and what we know from referencing other historical documents means a different period of time - but I'd definitely get accused of "proselytising". :D:D

Miracles are pretty much taken as fact, but with an allowance for "poetic licence". For example, Moses took 40 years to lead people through a (generally accepted as an impassable) swamp - not 40 days, with a literal parting of a sea.
    The miracles performed by Jesus, on the other hand, are accepted as fact.

By the way, your post didn't come across as being in any way disrespectful.
    I honestly have no problem with someone asking a question in a reasonable manner - I even enjoy the debate.
    I do, however, generally avoid discussing Religious issues on Fora, because such debates inevitably lead to insults/condescending posts (Often from both sides).
    And there's still the issue of "Proselytism". :D

Or to put it another way - I have no desire to try to impose my views/beliefs on anyone else, and even less desire to have someone try to impose their beliefs on me, or belittle my beliefs.

I'm not accusing you personally (or even most atheists/agnostics) of this - but there are some objectionable people who post regularly on boards who take every opportunity to ridicule religious belief, and, I refuse to sink to their level.
    It's as simple as that. No offence intended, and hopefully, none taken?

Noreen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

Scanlas, I don't feel inferior in any way to this man. Yes, he is obviously very intelligent and a hell of lot smarter than I am. Superior intelectually yes, but as a human being? It's just I find him to be very aggressive. This man relishes in hammering his opinions down others throats and (just my opinion) seems to actively seek out opportunities to do so.

i've only read the god delusion and have only seen him on tv a couple of times but imo i dont see what all this talk of him being aggressive is all about. the man has made it a life calling to try enlighten people and make them understand their life can be special without religion, if he 'converts' one person its worth it.

anyway, i'm not defending dawkins per se...i just dont know how you can be in his position with his views and not be agressive, arrogant, whetever. the man has to stand up for his beliefs while trying to spread his own message - he has to be a prick at times!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

In all fairness, I've met aggressive atheists, and I can't say I would rank Dawkins anywhere near them.
    All he's doing is continually asking people to think, to look for evidence and not to accept arguments from authority. I honestly can't fault him for that.

If that's what you mean by "forcing his opinion down others' throats", I guess we'll have to start closing schools and stop showing the news on TV....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

He would be a hypocrite if he ever said that. Luckily he never said anything of the sort.

Referring to parents "labelling" their children by religion as child abuse.

It's not a stone's throw from telling people not to believe what your parents tell you to believe.

Advertisement