Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"no, I'm actually an athiest"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭virmilitaris

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Although, maybe i'm getting it wrong, but it was something like that if i remember correctlyp

I thought I was already booked 1st class on the hell express but now it seems hell is a far, far more exclusive club than heaven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Helix wrote: »
    that wouldnt happen if religion didnt have such an unnecessary amount of power within politics and peoples' day to day lives

it NEEDS to be fought until it is only something that people do in private

it NEEDS to be fought until it doesnt matter what religion youn are, or if you even are one, because people realise its an entirely personal thing

it NEEDS to be fought until religion has no say in politics

it NEEDS to be fought until religious factions cop on and relise that killing each other over it is ridiculous

dawkins may be an irritating pr1ck, but he's helping with the above, like it or not
    Yeah. Lets just be a big lot of Nazis and deny people the right to pray to what ever they believe. Lets just ban religious people from politics, just knock down all churches and lets make sure we have patrols set up 24/7 outside everyones home to make sure they pray in their home.

Im up for it..:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Yeah. Lets just be a big lot of Nazis and deny people the right to pray to what ever they believe. Lets just ban religious people from politics, just knock down all churches and lets make sure we have patrols set up 24/7 outside everyones home to make sure they pray in their home.

Now yer talkin'! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Banning religion from politics does not remove religious politicians, only that the motivation for making laws and governing the populace is free from religiously inspired gibberish.

By the way, that's the most pathetic post so far, sooner or later the losing side falls back to the old nazi slur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

thats not what i said at all - perhaps you need to learn to read

people are entitled to pray to whatever they like, theyre entitled to go to mass wherever they like

theyre NOT entitled to have special treatment because of it, or get money from the taxpayer because of it, or have influence in what schools can and cant teach, or what students they can or cant accept because of it. theyre not entitled to have religious propaganda on state funded tv and radio

• Advertisement

Banning religion from politics does not remove religious politicians, only that the motivation for making laws and governing the populace is free from religiously inspired gibberish.

By the way, that's the most pathetic post so far, sooner or later the losing side falls back to the old nazi slur.
    Im not even religious lol. But some of the utterly shocking posts asking for religion to be made only a private matter and asking for religion to not effect politics in some way is really naive.

You see, its not going to happen. When you have over 1 billion members of the RCC and then you look at Islam. How the hell do you stop people from using religion in politics when there is that many people on the planet who believe in god and are religious?

prinz wrote: »
    You'd still be judged on what you did in life. Christians are going to be judged, and non-Christians.

I see. And what is the criteria ?

Are morally 'good' buddhists or a hindus for example, destined for heaven ?

I really fail to see the point of your religion if people of other faiths and of no faiths can go to heaven. What's the point in all this evangelising, terrible christian music and going to church ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Did you just go Godwin on us?

Wow!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Please explain what I'm missing and how a non-believer can obey the first commandment.

The Jews of Moses' time were emerging from polytheism, and surrounded by Polytheist tribes. The first commandment addressed this. Jews who know the law can break it. A gentile from the opposite side of the planet was not going to be held to accountable under the same commandment. Put the commandment in it's context.
    Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Then you should probably stop phrasing things like so "Quite wrong. You can have lived your life from birth to death without being a Christian and still avoid 'hell'", since not all christians believe that

The irony. Then perhaps you'd be equally as kind to stop making claims about kids being tortured for eternity etc?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Who had page 97 in the Godwin pool?

• Advertisement

Helix wrote: »
    thats not what i said at all - perhaps you need to learn to read

people are entitled to pray to whatever they like, theyre entitled to go to mass wherever they like

theyre NOT entitled to have special treatment because of it, or get money from the taxpayer because of it, or have influence in what schools can and cant teach, or what students they can or cant accept because of it. theyre not entitled to have religious propaganda on state funded tv and radio
    You see, religious people are in the majority. People with no belief are in the minoirty on the grand scale of things in the world. They are entitled to say what they want on radio or TV. Just like you are entitled to say what you want on TV or radio against religion.

Its all about opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭cypharius

The Jews of Moses' time were emerging from polytheism, and surrounded by Polytheist tribes. The first commandment addressed this. Jews who know the law can break it. A gentile from the opposite side of the planet was not going to be held to accountable under the same commandment. Put the commandment in it's context.

Does it say anything about some people not being accountable in the bible?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

marco_polo wrote: »
    Who had page 97 in the Godwin pool?

I did, gimme the money.

Im not even religious lol. But some of the utterly shocking posts asking for religion to be made only a private matter and asking for religion to not effect politics in some way is really naive.

You see, its not going to happen. When you have over 1 billion members of the RCC and then you look at Islam. How the hell do you stop people from using religion in politics when there is that many people on the planet who believe in god and are religious?

But are you simply saying it's impossible or that we would be wrong to try to stop it happening? Is it morally justifiable to pet the church on the head in Ireland where it has little power while it teaches vulnerable people that condom use will cause AIDS?

How can we justify a system of oppression which has moderate roots here and fundamentalist ones poisoning humanity elsewhere? And this is all religion, not just to pick on the RCC. Islam is just as bad, and in many circumstances, far worse.

The irony. Then perhaps you'd be equally as kind to stop making claims about kids being tortured for eternity etc?

Prinz, please don't take this the wrong way because i am not trying to be confrontational.

Do you have any proof for anything that you believe? Like, any solid proof? Or is it just all faith?

Are morally 'good' buddhists or a hindus for example, destined for heaven?

I have never heard any Christian clergy claim otherwise tbh.
    I really fail to see the point of your religion if people of other faiths and of no faiths can go to heaven. What's the point in all this evangelising, terrible christian music and going to church ?

To make the best of life here today and enjoy it. Carpe Diem and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭cypharius

Just like you are entitled to say what you want on TV or radio against religion.

No you're not, blasphemy law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭optogirl

How many of those 1 billion are actually catholics - or were they just baptised?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Every time this comes up christians talk about people living on the other side of the planet 2000 years ago who had never heard of the law. I am talking about people who have heard the law but do not believe in it, i.e. the 5/6 of this planet who know about christianity but do not believe in it. What about them?

And as I said just now, Jesus reiterated the importance of belief in god, he said it was the first and greatest commandment

I openly acknowledged that not all christians believe this, I just pointed out that those who don't are not following what the bible actually says but are instead making up their own religion called a-la-carte christianity with the bad bits removed.

You see, religious people are in the majority. People with no belief are in the minoirty on the grand scale of things in the world. They are entitled to say what they want on radio or TV. Just like you are entitled to say what you want on TV or radio against religion.

Wrong

http://news.slashdot.org/story/10/01/01/233249/Irelands-Blasphemy-Law-Goes-Into-Effect

• Advertisement

Are we allowed use contraception while we're seizing?

optogirl wrote: »
    How many of those 1 billion are actually catholics - or were they just baptised?
    But would you argue against that and say the majority of them aren't religious? Would it be fair for me to say the majority of them are religious?

I have never heard any Christian clergy claim otherwise tbh.

I'm not for one second comparing mainstream Christianity to the man but, I'm pretty sure Jerry Falwell might have mentioned it once or twice.

Now I am really confused.

How do you consider worship, going to church, giving your hard earned money to preachers and pastors and going round knocking on doors annoying people to be making the best of life ?

Again, what is the point of your religion or your bible if they have no direct bearing on where you're going after death ?

Join the UK.

I think you just jumped the shark. I thought after the Godwin post we had reached the peak, evidently I was wrong.

:pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I did, gimme the money.

No problems, my usual payment proceedure applies, so just PM me your bank details.

If you wish to send credit card details as well, in case the bank transfer fails that would also be acceptable. ;)

cypharius wrote: »
    Does it say anything about some people not being accountable in the bible?

Yes, if you go back a few pages on this thread you'll find it, re gentiles who lived their lives without knowledge of Mosaic Laws. Romans 2 and 3 in the Bible covers it a bit.
    MrStuffins wrote: »
    Prinz, please don't take this the wrong way because i am not trying to be confrontational. Do you have any proof for anything that you believe? Like, any solid proof? Or is it just all faith?

No problem. There's a lot to support the Bible and all that, but of course it requires faith on the side of the individual.

Join the UK.

What?

No problem. There's a lot to support the Bible and all that, but of course it requires faith on the side of the individual.

So there is no proof, just faith, correct?

• Advertisement

But would you argue against that and say the majority of them aren't religious? Would it be fair for me to say the majority of them are religious?

No. Majority of my friends and family are counted in that statistic despite being a mixture of non-believers, non-practitioners and atheists.

Advertisement