Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"no, I'm actually an athiest"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Shenshen wrote: »
    Exactly. Now that gay people gained the right to be gay, they won't stop until the entire country is gay, and we can't stop them because we've given in to them before...

"Cry 'Homo' and let loose the Ninjas of Gayness"....I'm scared to leave the house.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm sorry but I find that hard to believe in this day and age. If I'm wrong I apologise.

I believe Ickle Magoo has experienced this first hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Ok but still that's not the same as saying you can't be athiest or any other religion is it?
    Today, under the Irish Constitution, you cannot become President or be appointed as a Judge unless you take a religious oath under God asking god to direct and sustain you in your work. Also, an atheist Taoiseach or Tanaiste could not take their place on the Council of State without swearing a religious oath.

You may be happy to get up and swear a lie in public Audrey but a lot of us aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Tbh it really isn't as I've already explained. I did admit it was drastic but that was my point.

It is a slippery slope as you are implying that one will lead to another without supporting your argument with any evidence for it.
    Tbh I have never once heard of that happening nowadays. Can you give an example, maybe a child you know or something?

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64376722&postcount=17

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

prinz wrote: »
    Perhaps you should ask the elected, accountable leaders of the country, you might get further. Oh, and when you do, I'll gladly support your cause.
    The Humanist Association of Ireland, Atheist Ireland and Educate Together have been requesting this for years from our elected representatives and -- except for gaining control of one school following the Department of Education's PR disaster in Diswellstown a few years back -- have achieved precisely nothing.

More interestingly, are you saying that you support Atheist Ireland in this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

bluewolf wrote: »
    You may be happy to get up and swear a lie in public Audrey but a lot of us aren't.

Wouldn't that be somewhat similar to perjury anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

It happens. Let's assume RobinDCH's child is not baptised, and his local school (all of his local schools, it's not a stretch of the imagination) are Catholic. If there is a shortage of places, his child will be refused entry in favour of a baptised one. This is, imo, a disgrace.

So blame the State. They should be doing their job of providing education suitable to your needs.

Although once again as I know of a couple of unbaptised kids enrolled without issue in a busy Dublin city 'catholic' school I would hazard a guess that the problem is not nearly as dire as it's often made out to be.

robindch wrote: »
    More interestingly, are you saying that you support Atheist Ireland in this?

Absolutely. I believe the State should provide completely secular schools. I have posted on the ridiculous situation many places find themselves in with regard to primary level in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

So blame the State. They should be doing their job of providing education suitable to your needs.

Although once again as I know of a couple of unbaptised kids enrolled without issue in a busy Dublin city 'catholic' school I would hazard a guess that the problem is not nearly as dire as it's often made out to be.

Exactly. My local primary and secondary schools now have as many, if not more non-Catholic pupils than Catholic ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Any one child being denied their entitlement to state education for religious reasons IS a dire problem. Knowing a couple of people who got lucky doesn't change that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Speaking of swearing on The Bible and such............ could someone perhaps try answer a question for me?

When voting, you need your voting card/ID correct?

Is it a myth that if you don't have your ID that you can swear on The Bible that you haven't voted?

I could be setting myself up for a facepalm here, but i friends of mine seem to know someone who knows someone who's cousins with someone who knows someone who has done it! So i thought i'd take this opportunity to ask :D

What I meant was if you take religion from schools it won't be long another campaign starts to remove it from somewhere else.
    I have absolutely no interest in stopping people doing whatever they want to do in their free time -- whether it's eating celery, playing golf, having an S+M session downstairs, or going to church. I really don't care and I don't think I've ever met an atheist or agnostic who does.

What I do care about is a bunch of unelected, unaccountable old men who presume to dictate how the education system in this country is run, despite me paying significant taxes, and their having a reputation in the area of child care which is nothing short of an international scandal.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

Any one child being denied their entitlement to state education for religious reasons IS a dire problem. Knowing a couple of people who got lucky doesn't change that.

So one parents anti-theism should take preference over the majority who would like there children educated in a school with a religious ethos?

See bolded words. What we have here are a number of posters blaming unelected unaccountable religious organisations for not providing secular education. That's a nonsense. Your sights should be set on the government.
    MrStuffins wrote: »
    Is it a myth that if you don't have your ID that you can swear on The Bible that you haven't voted? I could be setting myself up for a facepalm here, but i friends of mine seem to know someone who knows someone who's cousins with someone who knows someone who has done it! So i thought i'd take this opportunity to ask :D

If you mean to allow you to vote twice.............depends who you're voting for :D

Would you be saying that if asked to swear on the Koran or the Torah? I mean this in all seriousness.

If you don't believe it, surely it's only saying words.

Shenshen wrote: »
    bluewolf wrote:
    Wouldn't that be somewhat similar to perjury anyway?
    Yes, that's perjury and it's an offense for which one can be imprisoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

mossyc123 wrote: »
    So one parents anti-theism should take preference over the majority who would like there children educated in a school with a religious ethos?

That is not what she said. Don't put words in someone's mouth.

Apparently so :(

Exactly. My local primary and secondary schools now have as many, if not more non-Catholic pupils than Catholic ones.

How can you possibly know this? :confused:

That is not what she said. Don't put words in someone's mouth.

But isn't she asking that religion be removed from schools completely thereby denying religion parents the right to have their children taught in schoold of their faith?

• Advertisement

robindch wrote: »
    What I do care about is a bunch of unelected, unaccountable old men who presume to dictate how the education system in this country is run, despite me paying significant taxes, and their having a reputation in the area of child care which is nothing short of an international scandal.

I think all the T.D.'s were elected in fairness.

Would you be saying that if asked to swear on the Koran or the Torah? I mean this in all seriousness.

Not this again. :facepalm:

How can you possibly know this? :confused:

Because that's how it was when I was there and I still pass by every day and seen the students on their way and I promise there are as many non-catholic pupils. Many are for instance muslim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭optogirl

I wouldnt be so sure that the majority of people do...

optogirl wrote: »
    I wouldnt be so sure that the majority of people do...

How can you possibly know that:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Your religious beliefs are none of my business or concern and my beliefs my religious beliefs are mine and ill keep them to myself thanks.

Strict rules on nights out

• No religion
    • No politics
    • No recession talk
    • No women's rights

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

The child's right to education should take preference over any opinion any parents would hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭optogirl

How can you possibly know that:confused:

I said I'm not sure, not that I KNOW that. Based on everyone I know, most would prefer non-religious schooling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

I think at the start of every case they should have the defendant say "I am a false prophet and God is a superstition."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,765 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

See bolded words. What we have here are a number of posters blaming unelected unaccountable religious organisations for not providing secular education. That's a nonsense. Your sights should be set on the government.

People are calling on the government to provide secular education, however a lot of parents have to deal with getting their kids educated now, not in the distant future when the government might finally have provided secular schools.

Children shouldn't be excluded from a place in a public school due to religious reasons.

If you can read this, you're too close!

Advertisement