Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"no, I'm actually an athiest"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

OutlawPete wrote: »

However, some people will say that an atheist means that you can not be spiritual either, so that is why I would never refer to myself as an atheist, as I believe in an afterlife.

Some atheists would say that I can describe myself as an atheist though as I don't have a belief in any deities.

The former "some" are utterly misinformed and have redefined atheism. The definition of atheism is the latter one, it solely concerns lack of belief in deities. You can believe in spirits, trolls, vampires, fairies, wizards etc, afterlife, multiple reincarnations, magic etc. just not God.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

NoQuarter wrote: »
    You mean that was a quick summary!?!? My poor lil head...

there's an entire chapter dedicated to it.

It's one of the best chapters of any book i've ever read, and i've read like...... over 4 books!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Have to agree with the OP here.

People just can't wait to tell you that they are atheists these days.

I really don't care if people are or not.

It's the fact that they titter and sneer at anyone who happens to believe in any kind of spirituality, that I find so contemptible.

I believe that Elvis Presley told me that black people have magic powers that they use for evil.

If you don't titter and sneer at me then you are a bit odd, to be blunt.

Now you know why atheists titter and sneer at theists. It's either that or lock them up in St. Lomans.

Be thankful we titter and sneer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You mean that was a quick summary!?!? My poor lil head...
    Dawkins has a knack for explaining complex things for simpletons such as myself.

Although he does warn in the book to skip that chapter if you're feeling tired, and come back to it later! :D At least I think he said that in relation to that chapter, could have been a different one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

MrStuffins wrote: »

And a MAJOR difference here is that if you bring an Athiest evidence, they will examine it and except it if it is sufficient.

"

Accept rob, its accept!!

Change it quick before the bashers see it, they will use it against us!!! :pac:

• Advertisement

Did I say they were exclusive? I find theists who evangelise and condescend just as annoying.

Well then why aren't you talking about people in general then? Why just pick out Athiests?

I have just remembered you are the poster who started (or contributed greatly) to the thread about the visit of The Pope. So i kinda feel weird replyng to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of zealous athiests, or evangelical athiests. You know the ones that bang on and on and on about it, trying to convert everyone to their ways.

Personally, I'm agnostic. I can't prove there is a god, I can't prove there isn't a god. If someone else wants to believe something different to me, thats up to them. Same with who people sleep with. As long as you are not forcing it down my throat (:pac:) I don't really care.

Start to get all uppity about it, and then we have issues, and I'll argue with you.

If religion is all people can talk about, either blah blah there is a God blah blah, or blah blah Spagetti Monster blah blah it gets kind of dull. However, I do like a good debate with either side. If someone can put forward a compelling argument to me, then it gets interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Links please.

Choose any thread on Athiesim and Agnostacisim and you'll see what I mean.

The words retarded and ignorant were used on this thread too.
    cypharius wrote: »
    And I have no problem with non-stamp collecting.

:confused:

Accept rob, its accept!!

Change it quick before the bashers see it, they will use it against us!!! :pac:

Balls! I always do that, im supposed to write accept but write except.

Now, if only i could get my head around "Effect" and "Affect" my life would be complete :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

You put emphasis on the word theory, even though it was explained to you previously in another thread exactly what a scientific theory is.

"Explained" to me? :p

More condescension, lets stick to this thread, yeah.
    You seem to have completely ignored that, so why bother wasting time on you now?

Cop out.

Answer these points, should be no bother to you, what with Evolution (and all that term entails) being an irrefutable fact:
    • Tell us who our common ancestors were, you know - the species that humans and apes evolved from.
    • Tell us were that 'common ancestor' is today.
    • If they have died out - tell us why they died out and how.
    • Is there hard scientific proof (of course there is, right?)

• Advertisement

dvpower wrote: »
    If they stop shítting in our shoes, we'll stop píssing in their bovril.

This works both ways. So....right back at you;)

Respect us and we'll respect you, simple as that.

Choose any thread on Athiesim and Agnostacisim and you'll see what I mean.

The words retarded and ignorant were used on this thread too.

I was referring (as you well know from what I quoted from your post) to all the atheists explaining how much more intelligent and enlightened they were than theists. If you can point me in the direction of these posts I'd be much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 erogonamalu

op has people issues, remember social beings. some people will just disagree for the sake of not being bored, this is what we do know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Malty_T wrote: »
    But you see, I asked this to a Christian in another thread and he couldn't provide any numbers so perhaps you can. What is the proportion of atheists who evangelise or condescend? I might be sticking my neck out here a bit but reasonably confident if you ask on the Christianity forum I'm not seeing as an evangelising or condescending one. Reason and experience tells me that the proportion who do do what you claim are in a minority. But as with all minorities they are the more vocal bastards.

Its a minority of course, but I couldn't put a number on it. And its the same with theists too, there are annoying bastards on both sides. It just appears on boards that there are more annoying atheists than theists (maybe thats because of the demographics of the user base). Its evangelicalism (Richard Dawkins) and pseudo-intellectual (Stephen Fry and a few boards.ie posters) dismissiveness that I find objectionable.

This works both ways. So....right back at you;)

Respect us and we'll respect you, simple as that.

We can respect you, but it doesnt mean we have to not question your beliefs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Well then why aren't you talking about people in general then? Why just pick out Athiests?

I have just remembered you are the poster who started (or contributed greatly) to the thread about the visit of The Pope. So i kinda feel weird replyng to you.

I did contribute to that thread. Why is it strange? :confused:

Answer these points, should be no bother to you, what with Evolution (and all that term entails) being an irrefutable fact:
    • Tell us who our common ancestors were, you know - the species that humans and apes evolved from.

I don't know the answers to these questions, which unfortunately for you doesn't change a single thing.

Do you deny that your cousins are your cousins even if DNA evidence says they are?

I was referring (as you well know from what I quoted from your post) to all the atheists explaining how much more intelligent and enlightened they were than theists. If you can point me in the direction of these posts I'd be much appreciated.

Like I said if you really want to know look at any number of threads A&A, which you know well have the kinds of comments I mentioned. And no I didn't know what exactly you refering to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

No I'm suggesting that believing in God(s) has nothing to do with being a member of a Church.

I agree - and were people happy to keep their faith to themselves and not try to inflict their beliefs on the rest of the world, I can't imagine anyone ever having an issue with it. The problem comes when peoples beliefs in their god and assumptions about what that god thinks and wants makes them knock on my door and wake my kids up or prevent me being able to enrol my kids at the local school or campaign that condoms spread AIDs in africa or even just try to shove god into any available gap left and claim to have debunked evolution because there hasn't been a full skeleton found detailing every evolutionary step in every genera of hominidae over the past 15 million years. :cool:

We can respect you, but it doesnt mean we have to not question your beliefs!

Nor did I say it did. Questioning is one thing. Being condscending and insulting is another.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭cypharius

I'd explain, but I'm too busy not collecting stamps.

Like I said if you really want to know look at any number of threads A&A, which you know well have the kinds of comments I mentioned. And no I didn't know what exactly you refering to.
    Well I'm sure I read many more posts in A&A than you, and I don't recall seeing any atheists telling everyone how much more intelligent and enlightened they are than theists. So like I said, if you can refer me to a couple of these posts I'd be appreciative.

I'm more intelligent than you all!

There, i said it!

My beliefs are right and if you don't agree with them, you're a poopy head!

Well I'm sure I read many more posts in A&A than you, and I don't recall seeing any atheists telling everyone how much more intelligent and enlightened they are than theists. So like I said, if you can refer me to a couple of these posts I'd be appreciative.

Of course you've seen it and you know it. Your doing now exactly what I'm talking about; being smug and asking me for proof as if I'm lying or wrong to make yourself look smart

• Registered Users Posts: 26 The Longfellow

I'm a Protestant actually Father.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Everyone still out to get you Audrey?

Of course you've seen it and you know it. Your doing now exactly what I'm talking about; being smug and asking me for proof as if I'm lying or wrong to make yourself look smart

How dare someone actually ask for PROOF of something! :eek:

Sorry Audrey, carry on playing the victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Phegasus

Irony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

Cop out.

the common ancestor is extinct obviously

they died out because they got killed off in the great flood, obviously ;)

heres your proof

:pac:

Advertisement