Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"no, I'm actually an athiest"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

strobe wrote: »
    Everyone still out to get you Audrey?

When did I say that :confused:. This is not about me, I'm just talking in general.

Sorry Audrey, carry on playing the victim.

I'm so not playing the victim I can't even tell you!

You realise how much you're proving my poin?t

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm so not playing the victim I can't even tell you!

You realise how much you're proving my poin?t
    Why? By asking you to back up your statement of the many atheists who profess to be so much more intelligent and enlightened than theists?

Good heavens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

cypharius wrote: »
    And I have no problem with non-stamp collecting.

I disagree. Philately will get you nowhere.

Why? By asking you to back up your statement of the many atheists who profess to be so much more intelligent and enlightened than theists?

Good heavens!

No by asking me for proof of what I said because you don't believe there is any so you can show me up.

And accusing me of playing the victim when you know I'm not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Phegasus

I disagree. Philately will get you nowhere.

Is the licking of stamps philatio?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I agree - and were people happy to keep their faith to themselves and not try to inflict their beliefs on the rest of the world, I can't imagine anyone ever having an issue with it. The problem comes when peoples beliefs in their god and assumptions about what that god thinks and wants makes them knock on my door and wake my kids up or prevent me being able to enrol my kids at the local school or campaign that condoms spread AIDs in africa or even just try to shove god into any available gap left and claim to have debunked evolution because there hasn't been a full skeleton found detailing every evolutionary step in every genera of hominidae over the past 15 million years. :cool:

Well then it seems we are in agreement. A belief in a deity has nothing to do with the policies of the churches that you mention above. It appears you have issues with the teaching and instruction of Certain religions rather than someones personal belief in a God. Its an important distinction to make.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Phegasus wrote: »
    Durrty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

When did I say that :confused:. This is not about me, I'm just talking in general.

Sorry Audrey, that was kinda dismissive. You seem to be a little defensive whenever things like this come up. Worth looking into.

Sorry Audrey, that was kinda dismissive. You seem to be a little defensive whenever things like this come up. Worth looking into.

I'm being dismissive? How?

If I'm defensive I don't mean to. It's just a passionate subject for me that's all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

i'd consider myself agnostic and my rule of thumb is to just not care about people's beliefs. i have friends who are christian, catholic, protestant, islamic, jewish, hindu, agnostic, atheist... i don't care. they don't try to convert me. when i see an atheist slamming religion, i instantly think they're as bad as those jehovah witnesses chaps who knock on doors trying to get you to join their way of life. it ticks me off. a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,189 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

If I'm defensive I don't mean to. It's just a passionate subject for me that's all!

Sometimes people let their passion blind them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Well then it seems we are in agreement. A belief in a deity has nothing to do with the policies of the churches that you mention above. It appears you have issues with the teaching and instruction of Certain religions rather than someones personal belief in a God. Its an important distinction to make.

Well, theism would be commonly defined as a belief in a monotheistic deity - most of which would be covered by the abrahamic religions. When discussing theism and atheism, it's fair to assume the majority of theists are religious. I have no issue at all with deism or pantheism but in general discussion in ireland of all places and claiming belief in god doesn't affect anyone is a bit of a misnomer.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Sometimes people let their passion blind them!

I can see perfectly thanks!

Once again, how I am being dismissive?

Phegasus wrote: »

Me: You are a loose stamp, Phegasus.

Phegasus: What do you mean, Donkey Oaty?

Me: You are quite clearly....

/awaits drum roll....

...unhinged!*

* May need explanatory notes for anyone under the age of fifty who didn't collect stamps.

Aw, come on you naysayers. This thread needs lightening up.

cypharius wrote: »
    Like secularism is to me. And that's why I'm always going on about it. That is also probably why lots of the people you're talking about go on about it a lot.

I agree with you and I'm all for debate and discussion about these issues!

Many times on boards I've seen athiests argue that they are smarter and more enlightened than believers only to turn around and redicule and insult the believers.

either backup what you said or fold. don't act like you're being victimised.

either backup what you said or fold. don't act like you're being victimised.

For god's sake I am in no way playing the victim. And I'm not going to fold either, I have no reason to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

No I meant my comment was dismissive. Hence the apology. But like I say, your reply to what I said, worth thinking about.

Kind of confirms what I was saying. Try to be cool. No one is out to get you.

Really, that way only unhappiness lies.

No I meant my comment was dismissive. Hence the apology. But like I say, your reply to what I said. Worth thinking about.

Ah ok fair enough. Apology accepted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

For god's sake I am in no way playing the victim. And I'm not going to fold either, I have no reason to.

think youll find you have no reason to keep your hand!!

no. people have asked you to backup your CONTROVERSIAL CLAIMS with links to posts proving you right. you've failed to provide links, instead hiding away and acting like anyone who challenges your statements are on some misplaced high pedestal.

NoQuarter wrote: »
    think youll find you have no reason to keep your hand!!

How so?

Audrey said:
    Many times on boards I've seen athiests argue that they are smarter and more enlightened than believers only to turn around and redicule and insult the believers.

I think she's right on this, but believers are just as guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

I'm an athiest.
    The concept of Dog is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Your right it is "cool" to be an atheist right now. I even know some people who pretend to be.

Sad really the same people would have been the ones sitting at the top of the chapel 30 years ago, wish people could think for themselves then and now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

on the whole evolution / creation thing, anyone see the new futurama episode where the professor leaves earth because of non believers in evolution, interesting ending. Worth a look, for both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,189 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

How so?

You have said something that you can not back up. In fact, everyone, including you, knows you can't back it up, but instead of just accepting (got it this time Stu) that you are wrong, you pig-headedly refuse to take it back.

This is not how discussion should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Well, theism would be commonly defined as a belief in a monotheistic deity - most of which would be covered by the abrahamic religions. When discussing theism and atheism, it's fair to assume the majority of theists are religious. I have no issue at all with deism or pantheism but in general discussion in ireland of all places and claiming belief in god doesn't affect anyone is a bit of a misnomer.

But it doesn't affect you. If I told you that I worshipped the Sun, I cannot see how it impacts you unless I try and convert you. This is true, even in Ireland. As I said, the issues you seem to have are related to the past pervasiveness and legacy of the Catholic Church in education in Ireland, Catholic teaching regarding condoms in a largely Protestant sub-Saharan Africa and American Fundamental Christian groups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

How so?

Becuase if you were one to look for reason well you certainly would not believe in a god!

Advertisement