Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broccoli

Options
  • 09-10-2010 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭

so this is going to sound like a stupid question

how long does it take to cook broccoli without it getting really soggy??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Steam it for 8-10 minutes and it will be tender without being mushy. If you like it crispy and crunchy, make it 6 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'm just back from China and they do it the most delish way imaginable to my mind :-

Chop into bite size pieces /florets and boil for a few minutes on high.
    Drain almost all the water, add a couple of cloves of chopped up garlic and steam/fry on high for a further two to three minutes (they usually add a little peanut oil during the frying, but I guess a little sesame or olive oil would do the trick too)
    Delishimondo!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Supercell wrote: »
    I'm just back from China and they do it the most delish way imaginable to my mind :-

Chop into bite size pieces /florets and boil for a few minutes on high.
    Drain almost all the water, add a couple of cloves of chopped up garlic and steam/fry on high for a further two to three minutes (they usually add a little peanut oil during the frying, but I guess a little sesame or olive oil would do the trick too)
    Delishimondo!

i have 3 words for this NYOM NYOM NYOM

sounds delicious might give a go of that during the week

• Registered Users Posts: 38 westportpoultry

bit of melted butter and slightly roasted almonds well drianed brocolli in a miing boll and toss makes it yummiier.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

It's a funny thing, broccoli. When I was a trainee chef it had to be gently poached or it fell apart. Now you can boil it hard for ten minutes and it'll still break your teeth.

So, I started growing it myself and here's what I found:

Three minutes simmer and it is cooked.

From the supermarket:

Eight minutes boil and it is still crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

i have 3 words for this NYOM NYOM NYOM

sounds delicious might give a go of that during the week

Well worth it, the fast frying seems to just be to slightly dry the sogginess out of the exterior and add a little garlicky and nutty oil flavour, not to colour it, it should still be lovely nutritious green on the outside.
    They do not serve it totally dry, it is served on a plate with moisture tripping onto the plate with the garlic bits. The garlic is not cooked long enough to be browned.

When I was a kiddie my mam used to boil it too soft and then drain it totally and it tasted ..not delish ;) The trick here i think is to undercook it a little and the garlic and nutty oil gives it a subtle kick.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

bit of melted butter and slightly roasted almonds well drianed brocolli in a miing boll and toss makes it yummiier.!
    make it pine nuts and your on to a winner

cauliflower and almond so it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

It's a funny thing, broccoli. When I was a trainee chef it had to be gently poached or it fell apart. Now you can boil it hard for ten minutes and it'll still break your teeth.

So, I started growing it myself and here's what I found:

Three minutes simmer and it is cooked.

From the supermarket:

Eight minutes boil and it is still crap.

+1. Sounds like you are growing proper tender stem broccoli which cooks in a few minutes.
    The stuff in the supermarket need about minutes, I find but this depends on how big the floret are.

Maybe I am stating the obvious, but never, ever, ever, ever put the lid on when cooking broccoli. Always

Advertisement