Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Attempted bike-jacking

• 09-10-2010 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭

I was on my way home from work last thursday and when I was stopped at the lights, a rather large junky approached me from the front, grabbed my handlebars and demanded the bike (Trek 7210). I was a bit surprised but I got off the bike and made it clear to him that he wasn't having it. I left the bike by a wall and scared him back enough so that I could get back on the bike and get away without being attacked while riding.

I was quite surprised (and pissed off) by this. Is this a common thing? I know that bikes get robbed all the time but I never heard of scumbags robbing bikes while they were still attached to their owners.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

If he was lucky to catch me at the end of a 100k cycle I might just him the bike but if I was on a short commute, he's goin in the canal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

If he was lucky to catch me at the end of a 100k cycle I might just him the bike but if I was on a short commute, he's goin in the canal.

e-thug1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭rothar man

siimilar experience a couple of wks ago neat connelly station
    came up to me asking about my cateye and what it records ect....lights go green and he was just trying to hold on to my bars , got a hop on him and he just statrted shouting at me....

seriously, if this hi jacking **** starts happening...people will have to use there u locks for a different purpose.......hammering these idiots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

That sounds terrible, hope your ok.

Where did this happen? would be good to know so can be a little more careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

simples! dont stop at red lights :pac:

hides

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

a rather large junky approached me

A CHUNKY JUNKIE! AHAHAHAHAAA

Ah sorry. Dont know what came over me. Terrible thing that happened. Terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Meh, just another reason not to live in Dublin;)

On a more serious note it takes a serious scumbag to do something like that, fair dues for standing up to him, knee them in the nuts next time I reckon.
    When I lived in Italy car jackings were all the rage, they used guns though...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

snollup wrote: »
    That sounds terrible, hope your ok.

Where did this happen? would be good to know so can be a little more careful.

There was no violence, just some squaring up so everybody was OK.
    It happened near Merchants Quay. I was going north along Winetavern St. The place is infested with Junkies though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Saila wrote: »
    e-thug1.jpg

That's me on the left ;-/
    Everyones different and it's impossible to say what you would do in the OP's situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,102 ✭✭✭buffalo

There was no violence, just some squaring up so everybody was OK.
    It happened near Merchants Quay. I was going north along Winetavern St. The place is infested with Junkies though.

Yeah, there's a methadone clinic around there - on Cook Street I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Meh, just another reason not to live in Dublin;)

On a more serious note it takes a serious scumbag to do something like that, fair dues for standing up to him, knee them in the nuts next time I reckon.
    When I lived in Italy car jackings were all the rage, they used guns though...

I'd rather not get too close to a junkie. You'd never know what they might be carrying - knives, needles, diseases etc. Still, a kick in the nuts would have probably been OK. I just didn't want to get into a messy brawl with a repulsive piece of disease-carrying filth such as this chap. I thought about a boot to the solar plexus in hindsight but, again, I didn't want to risk a brawl. There was also no need to escalate things because simply by walking towards him and looking like I'd kill him was enough to make him back off. Cowardly shiithead.

Thing is, he probably tried to rob someone else instead afterwards :mad:. I hope he tried the wrong person and that some kid hasn't been left traumatised. Now that I think about it perhaps a kick wouldn't have been so silly after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

a rather large junky approached me from the front, grabbed my handlebars and demanded the bike

Did he also demand your clothes and boots?

If so, you definitely don't want to mess with him.

Advertisement