Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a venue

Options
  • 09-10-2010 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Looking for a venue in Galway city for a regular alternative dance night. Breakcore/techno/D&B/jungle?dubstep.
    Around 200+ capacity
    Must be able to bring own system and preferably not up 2 flights of stairs.
    Any suggestions or interest?
    Will possibly consider a barn or warehouse with permission obviously.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Dr McManus

bildo wrote: »
    Looking for a venue in Galway city for a regular alternative dance night. Breakcore/techno/D&B/jungle?dubstep.
    Around 200+ capacity
    Must be able to bring own system and preferably not up 2 flights of stairs.
    Any suggestions or interest?
    Will possibly consider a barn or warehouse with permission obviously.

Try the Office Bar in Salthill.
    They host a monthly Soul and Reggae night in their back room.
    Its ground floor so no stairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bildo

Perfect, thanks very much I will check it out later today.
    Any other suggestions? I have looked at the GPO, didn't like it, The management in Cuba seem incapable of replying to emails or answering phones and waiting to hear back from Kellys after being promised I would know yesterday morning.
    have to say, quality of club managers is very poor

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Savin

Up stairs above the Pucan used to be an exellent venue for the D&B nights,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I dunno if Leisureland is too big for you? You could also try the hotels. Galway Bay is very nice. You could even ask a school like Mary's? I know the Árus (Salthill GAA clubhouse) often rent out their hall for birthday parties and stuff. Not sure on the price now but it use to be like €20 per hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

I don't know if you know what Breakcore/techno/D&B/jungle?dubstep are but none of the hotels would want to be putting them on. Leisureland would be way too big also

You could check out DeBurgos or downstairs in the Cellar, they're downstairs instead of up

• Advertisement

Thanks for replies, I spoke with an pucan, they're renovating the upstairs at the moment and it won;t be ready until after christmas, hotels I'd say are definatly a no no, no one will be sleeping upstairs from this soundsystem. DeBurgos don;t seem to ever want to answer their phone.
    I will certainly check out the GAA clubhouse, that sounds perfect!

Are there any working mans clubs or bikers clubs who do this sort of hireout at all?
    I might look into leisureland bt i thin that may be too adventurous...

Thanks so much for the help :)

If anyone owns or knows anyone who owns a warehouse or barn suitable for this please get in touch, can pay up to E200 to use as a venue for one night only

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭dantbyhid

If anyone owns or knows anyone who owns a warehouse or barn suitable for this please get in touch, can pay up to E200 to use as a venue for one night only

I'd be very interested in the same. Totally different style of music etc but need the same for specific events. Some quick and easy money to be made by one of the many empty warehouse owners out there. Not meaning to hijack your thread btw. Good luck with this. Galway/Ireland needs more of this kinda stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Thanks for replies, I spoke with an pucan, they're renovating the upstairs at the moment and it won;t be ready until after christmas,

Upstairs got closed quite a while back due to lack of fire escapes. Pretty big renovations needed.

Are you looking for a legit place with a music license or just some shebeen type spot?

• Advertisement

Either I guess. I'm looking into temporary licences, it's for a private invite only event

DeBurgos license is as a private members club, keep at them

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

Best if luck with it! And please pm
    me if you have an spare invites, Ita been ages since I was at a decent breakcore gig. Galway is seriously lacking in a music scene, and people like you willing to put in the efort!

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

There would be stairs involved, but kellys is another suggestion, other than that I'd second de Burgos, nice venue although the acoustics aren't great, but it's been ages since I was there so perhaps they have it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Savin

The Vic is an option as well, part of the victoria hotel off eyre square, though I havent heard of a gig in there in quite a while, For smaller crowds (~70-100) there is upstairs above Nimmos and mustard,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

check out the Oslo. Our company had a private party at the back of it for about 150 people, more could have fitted.

Anyone gove more info on Olso? Never heard of it, where is it? Is it a proper venue or function rooms?

Anyone gove more info on Olso? Never heard of it, where is it? Is it a proper venue or function rooms?

The Oslo Bar is in Salthill.
    http://www.winefoodbeer.com/The-Oslo.aspx

When you get a venue sorted, I would be willing to give you a hand running the night; and setting up your sound system.
    From 1995-2000 I was part of a group of people in the UK called The Exodus Collective.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exodus_Collective
    We put on Old Skool, Drum & Bass, Jungle parties for around 2000 people every 2 weeks in warehouses, quarries, and fields.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcYukX9wyBY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-famYdzQoE

Advertisement