Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22 target pistol

Options
  • 09-10-2010 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

So here is my question.

Is it hard to get a license for a .22 pistol?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

defib wrote: »
    So here is my question.

Is it hard to get a license for a .22 pistol?

Depends on super. Most give .22lr relatively easy to a person who has held a firearm prior to it

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭defib

Depends on super. Most give .22lr relatively easy to a person who has held a firearm prior to it

nice to know thanks. I got my .22Lr in just 12 days. Was looking at pistols and look like fun. I guess from reading best to choose one on the Garda list.

Do you have one?

nice to know thanks. I got my .22Lr in just 12 days. Was looking at pistols and look like fun. I guess from reading best to choose one on the Garda list.

Do you have one?

I got my Pistol back in 2006 when there was no restrictions and I bought a glock, TBH I'd love a nice .22lr pistol for plinking with unlimited ammo supplies

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

Do you have one?

Pistol shooting is a very different animal to rifle shooting IMO. I'd recommend going to a club and trying it out and see what you think before applyng to buy anything.

demonloop wrote: »
    Pistol shooting is a very different animal to rifle shooting IMO. I'd recommend going to a club and trying it out and see what you think before applyng to buy anything.

I'd have to agree, not the same atmosphere in pistol shooting as in benchrest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

:eek: What an answer :rolleyes:
    I got my Pistol back in 2006 when there was no restrictions and I bought a glock, TBH I'd love a nice .22lr pistol for plinking with unlimited ammo supplies

I didn't think it could get worse :rolleyes:
    demonloop wrote: »

Great advice ;) And I'll add this .............................

You will need a safe, a monitored alarm, a club membership which is authorised and has pistol shooting facilities and if you haven't had a pistol already you will/may have to prove your competence with a pistol. And as demonloop said go to a club/s and have a look first

I'd have to agree, not the same atmosphere in pistol shooting as in benchrest.

:rolleyes: Please elaborate. I have done both in MNSCI and I found the atmosphere to be the same in both :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 31 JonnyMacM

:eek: What an answer :rolleyes:

I didn't think it could get worse :rolleyes:

Great advice ;) And I'll add this .............................

You will need a safe, a monitored alarm, a club membership which is authorised and has pistol shooting facilities and if you haven't had a pistol already you will/may have to prove your competence with a pistol. And as demonloop said go to a club/s and have a look first

Instead of criticizing other peoples posts that are trying to be helpful why not post your own thoughts in a useful post?

JonnyMacM wrote: »
    Instead of criticizing other peoples posts that are trying to be helpful why not post your own thoughts in a useful post?

If you read my post you will notice I have :p

Hint: It's the bit at the end ;) And just for you !
    .......... And I'll add this .............................

And if you knew anything about the subject you would realise why I critised his posts :D

And the most important word in your post is "trying"

As pistol shooting is much smaller in popularity there is much less people involved in the sport.

That was my advice to the question.
    If wanting a better social aspect to shooting benchrest "in my humble opinion" is the best theater for the OP to avail of.

• Advertisement

As pistol shooting is much smaller in popularity there is much less people involved in the sport.

I'm sure there are other lads/ladies here, apart from myself, who will not agree with that statement. Tac, there is a world outside MNSCI ;)
    That was my advice to the question.
    If wanting a better social aspect to shooting benchrest "in my humble opinion" is the best theater for the OP to avail of.

The OP asked about .22lr target pistol shooting and you advise him/her to shoot benchrest rifle ....................... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Well if the OP is so inclined - he can always try Benchrest Pistol! combine the two!:D

1750 pistols or less!, Vs 250000+ Other firearms in the country.

What ever way you look at it pistols are in the minority.
    So as the OP is just curious, he will find it cheaper and more fun to stay as he is for the time being.

1750 pistols or less!, Vs 250000+ Other firearms in the country.

What ever way you look at it pistols are in the minority.
    So as the OP is just curious, he will find it cheaper and more fun to stay as he is for the time being.

Shooters are "in the minority" so by your reasoning we should give up shooting

He/she asked about licencing a .22lr pistol.

What are you rambling about now?

Answer the question that was asked not what you think was asked ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I know you asked about .22lr pisto, but there's a lot of territory between your question and an accurate answer that has to be travelled.

Are you in a club? If not, what club are you thinking of joining? Where are you located? - You have to be in a club to get a pistol licence.

Having answered the first one, you then need to decide what type of pistol shooting you want to do; competition? club shooting only?

After all that, you may then know what sort of pistol you need and what you'll be using it for or whether it's worth all the hassle in teh first place.

I always reccommend air pistol instead of .22 for the following reasons:
    Lots more ranges you can use it in, Very cheap to run, You'll learn pretty much most of what you need to learn inpistol shooting from an air pistol. By air pistol I mean a proper PCP single shot target pistol, not one of those CO2 jobbies you get for €250.

btw, you don't necessarily need a monitored alarm if you have a pistol. As all new licences are for non-restricted pistols only, they fall under the security requirement of a safe only (if the pistol is your only firearm, or one of three non-restricted firearms)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

rrpc wrote: »
    not one of those CO2 jobbies you get for €250.
    Well....

In the US air pistol scene, they seem to have a fair few ISSF air pistols that work off CO2 for historical reasons. The Brno TAU-7 gets recommended for beginning juniors quite a lot:

TAU7Juniorz.jpg

There is a 'full-size' version, but you have to be sure to get the Tau-7 Match (not standard, sport or silhouette) if you're going to do ISSF 10m pistol stuff (and if your pistol will do ISSF 10m stuff, it'll do everything else as well, so that does give you the most flexibility):

TAU-7-Match.jpg

But the Tau-7s are all CO2 pistols, and they're priced around the €250-350 mark (including shipping, duty, etc, etc).

Most of the Rohm CO2 pistols and their ilk you do want to avoid though, and some of the sillier IZH models like this one:

0_value_10466_188.jpg

Advertisement