Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anywhere open in UCD on Sundays?

Options
  • 09-10-2010 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

Pretty simple really, just looking for somewhere to a bit of study, too much going on at home to concentrate properly.
    :pac:

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Library's usually open for a few hours, but you won't be able to take anything out IIRC. Most of the lecture buildings are shut on Sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

Cheers, but according to the website the library is closed for all of Sunday, and I know Quinn is as well. If anybody knew of anywhere, even the restaurant or something like that, that'd be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

AFAIK, UCD is dead on Sundays. The only places I can even think of are the RA offices on the residences. Some of them have couches and they might let you sit there and study.

Technically, the student centre is supposed to be open 8 am - 10 pm but I'm not sure if that includes Sundays. Can give them a ring on 017163160 to find out. And even if they aren't, they might be able to tell you if there is any place that is open.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I think the Arts block is usually open for a bit on Sundays, and as it's pretty dead you could find somewhere quiet to study.

The library isn't open on Sundays at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

UCD still keeps holy the sabbath. :) I dont think any building is open, except for the bar a the student centre

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Why the library doesn't open on Sunday is beyond me? It'll open until 11 on Friday nights when the place is usually very quiet, but not at all on Sunday. People are still there at the weekend!

I went into the Daedalus Building at 8 o clock on Friday evening. Normally it's hard to find a free computer in there, but I walked into G5 and out of the 50 or so computers there, one was occupied! It was eerie.

I tried to print stuff on a Sunday a few weeks ago, but nowhere was open.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

The Library usually extends its opening hours to Sundays closer to exams - they're suffering budget cutbacks so ditching Sunday opening when demand is low makes sense. Arts is open sometimes on Sundays but it doesn't seem to be a regular thing. If you're stuck for a study space, you could maybe try one of the public libraries off campus? Dundrum used to be good.

EDIT: Public libraries are clearly an even worse option.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭baspower

hi there...i'm in the same boat as you...woke up early morning today and walked out of merville with my books and a study face(game face? lol)...but then after 10min of walking realised the whole place is dead...came back to my room.. :(

dundrum good? might just go there, if the weather ain't desperate..

hmm...could anyone let me know how to get to dundrum or stilorgan library by dublin bus?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

The 17 headed for Rialto brings you to Dundrum. I'm not sure where the library is exactly but it shouldn't be hard to find once you arrive in Dundrum. The 17 brings you to the Luas Bridge, afaik.

Edit: I don't think that Dundrum Library is open on a Sunday either. I guess we'll have to study in our rooms today!

• Advertisement

oh....bummer..

yeah room it is then....thx

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Public libraries have ridiculous opening hours, and they would definitely not be open on a sunday. How about going to a café somewhere? You could find a spot which is quiet and study there. Also I don't think that anywhere would be too busy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Stillorgan library is definitely closed on sunday, which would mean Dundrum is closed because the Dun Laoghaire / Rathdown county counsel operate all libraries in the South County Dublin region and opening times are similar across the board

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Ruski wrote: »
    Public libraries have ridiculous opening hours, and they would definitely not be open on a sunday. How about going to a café somewhere? You could find a spot which is quiet and study there. Also I don't think that anywhere would be too busy now.

No library opens on a Sunday because they are not allowed by the Government. They have tried to extend opening hours before but budgetary reasons mean they can't.

Are the people trying to study living on campus? If you are, what is wrong with your room? I can understand off campus people sometimes having places not suited to study, but on campus is fine for working in your room.

I'm on campus and yea it's fine working in the room - my study desk is more than adequate here. Despite that I normally study in the UCD Library.

There's less distractions, for a start.
    Once you come home, you're done! You can relax, watch TV, browse internet etc.

But I spent most of today studying in my room and it was fine, it's just a bit easy to get distracted!

I was more distracted in the library by the omnipresence of hotties :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I was more distracted in the library by the omnipresence of hotties :D

Those desks with the sides on them that stops you seeing out are pretty good for this, especially if they're furthest away from the passage ways! A god send! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

I believe that they are trying to get the library to open on Sundays but the cost of doing this is in the region of 100k for the year so its still up for debate if it happens or not

I believe that they are trying to get the library to open on Sundays but the cost of doing this is in the region of 100k for the year so its still up for debate if it happens or not

Yep thats about right. That is why they are talking about needing fees re-introduced. My idea for the SU to hand over the 40 grand they use for elections, the many thousands spent on class rep "training trips" and all the other cash they pour down the drain fell on deaf ears!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mossychica

cafe in the sports center isopen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mossychica

cafe in the sports center isopen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 UCDSU

UCD Students' Union have outlined a 7 Day Library as the main priority this year. The Education Officer is currently working on getting the library open every sunday for the entire year. This was one of the first things the Education Officer got to work on when he took office. UCDSU are expecting to hear back on this in the coming fortnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭marglin

ya thats great of him, he knows they'll start opening as we get closer to exams but this way it looks like he had something to do with it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

marglin wrote: »
    ya thats great of him, he knows they'll start opening as we get closer to exams but this way it looks like he had something to do with it

He isn't personally stupid enough to take credit for it, the SU might though....

Same with the SU claiming credit for the reg fee only going up by 500 to 800 euro, it's all about looking good.... I've heard that the 3000 figure was completely made up and was propagated as a stupidly large scale rumour.....

Fad wrote: »
    He isn't personally stupid enough to take credit for it, the SU might though....

Same with the SU claiming credit for the reg fee only going up by 500 to 800 euro, it's all about looking good.... I've heard that the 3000 figure was completely made up and was propagated as a stupidly large scale rumour.....

It first appeared in an SU publication in NUIG. I didn't actually read or hear about anything from a legitimate source. Funny really how some rumours get a life of their own.

Advertisement