Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honours Maths Requirement

• 09-10-2010 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Hey, does anyone know if honours maths can be done after doing the leaving cert, to fulfill requirement for the courses which need it..?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I think it depends on the course, some things you can go back and just do one subject like maths, but medicine says you have to have it all done in one sitting, or at least thats what my careers teacher says. She's not always that right though :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

Yes you could say do your leaving in 2011 getting 500 points and do pass maths. You could then just do honours maths in 2012 to get the entry requirement. It means you would have to wait an extra year to start the course but it's one way around the obstacle of honours maths taking up so much time. As the above poster said, you cannot do this for medicine.

However, if you are doing your leaving cert in 2012, there will be bonus points for honours maths. So if all the people going for your course have to do honours maths they are going to get extra points, thereby pushing up the points for the course. You won't get the bonus points for the honours maths you do the year after because you can't add points from 2 leaving certs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 derealmoister

Can it be done for economics and finance in ucd?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

as far as i know you can carry the matriculation requirements from multiple leaving certs for all courses save medicine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I think it depends on the course, some things you can go back and just do one subject like maths, but medicine says you have to have it all done in one sitting, or at least thats what my careers teacher says. She's not always that right though :P
    She is this time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 derealmoister

Pity I can't do that because the new project maths course is coming in...

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭dynamot

I did my leaving in 2010 and got 555 points with no chemistry. I have just dropped out of my current course (law in ucd) because it did not suit me. I was planning on sitting the chemistry paper for the leaving this year along with doing the Hpat in order to get into medicine next year. According to this thread, i cannot do that. Can someone please clarify that if i want to do chemistry to get into medicine i would have to repeat my whole leaving? Is there not another option?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

I don't think all medicine courses in this country require chemistry, as long as you have biology, maths, etc. Look at the requirements on the website for each college for medicine....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

dynamot wrote: »
    I was planning on sitting the chemistry paper for the leaving this year along with doing the Hpat in order to get into medicine next year. According to this thread, i cannot do that. Can someone please clarify that if i want to do chemistry to get into medicine i would have to repeat my whole leaving? Is there not another option?
    thanks

The medicine courses that you do / do not require chemistry for are listed in the document below

http://www.hpat-ireland.acer.edu.au/images/documents/2011%20admission%20guide%20to%20undergraduate%20medicine.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭briankirby

The medicine courses that you do / do not require chemistry for are listed in the document below

http://www.hpat-ireland.acer.edu.au/images/documents/2011%20admission%20guide%20to%20undergraduate%20medicine.pdf

Can i just ask about the matric requirements for medicine.Did my leaving in 09,got a B3 in hons maths.Am i eligible to apply for medicine in 2012 with this leaving cert,and if so would i get any bonus points for the hons maths or does it not count cos its a diff year??
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I don't see how there would be a problem applying for medicine with an '09 LC, but I don't see them applying the bonus to Hons Maths retrospectively ... it doesn't even apply to this years's LC cohort as far as I know.

Advertisement