Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One to keep an eye on!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

The current picture from web cam shows an all over greyness whether from cloud, fog or steam/smoke I haven't been able to find out, although inveterate cam watchers say that when it clears from time to time the plume is still visible although higher than before.

This is the newest info from the Jakarta Post. The rest of the article was a rehash with references to the earthquakes and tsunami. Jakarta Post 2610.10

An avalanche of rocks spilled down Merapi's trembling slopes before dawn Tuesday and gusts of hot ash shot 150 feet (50 meters) into the air as the mountain groaned and rumbled.

The greatest concern, Surono told reporters, was pressure building behind a massive lava dome that has formed near the tip of the crater.

"The energy is building up. ... We hope it will release slowly," he said. "Otherwise we're looking at a potentially huge eruption, bigger than anything we've seen in years."

Sri Purnomo, the head of Sleman district on Java island, where Mount Merapi is located, said officials were warning some 11,400 villagers living on the mountain's southern slope to prepare for "urgent evacuation."

Hundreds have already been relocated to makeshift camps set up at government buildings and sports fields more than six miles (10 kilometers) from the mountain's base, most of them elderly residents and children.

"I just have to follow orders to take shelter here for safety even though I'd rather like to stay at home," said Ponco Sumarto, 65, who arrived at one of the camps with her two grandchildren.

She said her children stayed at home to take care of their livestock and crops.

It seems that a lot of people have still not evacuated and no word as to whether the keeper of M Merapi has since he was quoted in the JP as saying this.
    On October 24th, Mbah Marijan – the keeper of Mount Merapi – said he would not leave his village of Kinahrejo although it lies just 5 kilometres from the crater. He said: “If I leave, I fear people will misinterpret my decision and start to panic. They will think the condition of Merapi is very serious. However, I ask them to obey the evacuation orders of the government.”

This is an interesting read. Five Volcanoes predicted to erupt every year (In Indonesia)

The grey cover has gotten a good bit darker in the last half hour. I wonder does this signify anything or is the cover just thicker and blocking out the sun more.

ETA 12.22 - the bloody cam is inaccessible for the last half hour.

Something is happening. Reports of an explosion, thick dust cloud etc.

http://www.tribunnews.com/2010/10/26/merapi-mulai-menyembur
    Report Setya Tribune reporter Kris Sumargo

TRIBUNNEWS.COM, YOGYAKARTA - Merapi began to rampage. Promptly at 17:02 pm, Merapi began to launch a hot cloud. Residents were panicked and immediately evacuated to post evacuation.

"Merapi began erupting at 17:02 pm with out hot clouds. At 17:02 pm it was the beginning of the Merapi eruption since the status of the alert was raised to be alert," said Chief BPPTK Yogyakarta, Subanrdiyo to Tribunnews.com, Tuesday (26/10/2010).

Explained Subandriyo, Merapi eruption of hot material that slid down the slope. "Material followed hot hot clouds," said Subandriyo.

Regarding the hot clouds glide direction, BPPTK not know for sure. "Heat clouds are very thick, so do not know leads to nowhere," said Subandriyo.

Since the eruption at 17:02 pm, Merapi continued to launch the hot material or eruption. That is at 17:19 am, at 17:23 pm and 17.30 pm. And possibly, hot lava will continue to happen.

From pantaun Tribunnews reporters at the scene, on southern slopes of the region began raining ash. Areas affected by ash falls, among others Turgo, Kinahrejo, Ngrangkah, and Samburejo. Hundreds of residents are now in the process of evacuation to the barracks.

A small number still survive to monitor the final seconds when a large eruption occurred. Dark night, thick clouds made the situation a bit tense. Merapi summit closed at this time a thick cloud and not be seen visually. The wind was blowing on the southern slope to the west.

Merapi blows. Camera down.
    Also got hit with a few more big earthquakes. They must think its the end of the world.
    :eek:

• Advertisement

Hard road ahead of them. :(
    There have been a bunch of large earthquakes over the last hour

heres another tv link for live coverage.

http://www.metrotvnews.com/index.php/metromain/streaming

I've been watching metro. Poor people.

They look quite calm and organised, dont they? Id be frantic :)

Those vehicles are carrying a lot of ash now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 starre

sky starting to report on it now too.

reports on twitter that 20 people injured by hot ash.

they are talking about tsunami now, is it the one that hit yesterday or is there another one??

I think it's yesterday's. I think they are only realising the toll now.

Trying to set up on my son's laptop now and find all my sites.

jaze, looks like a lot of burn victims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

pic taken today by the AP
    MERAPI_275776f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

Another one of those still image sequences put together and speeded up.

http://i52.tinypic.com/ipmhdz.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

MERAPI MOUNTAIN ERUPTION CHRONOLOGY DATED 26 OCTOBER 2010

There has been an eruption of Mount Merapi on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 with the following chronology:

1. At 17:02 for 9 minutes-eruption

2. At 17:18 for 4 minutes-eruption

3. At 17:23 for 5 minutes-eruption

4. At 17.30 for 2 minutes-eruption

5. At 17:37 for 2 minutes-eruption

6. At 17:42 for 33 minutes-eruption

7. At 18:00 until 18:45 there was a roar heard from the Merapi Observation Post, Selo and at all the observatories.

8. At 18:10-18:15-18:25 boom sounds were heard

9. At 18:16 for 5 minutes-eruption

10. At 18:18 for 33 minutes-eruption

11. From the observation post of Mount Merapi Selo visible flame with a column of smoke rose into the air to 1.5 km from the summit of Mount Merapi

12. At 18:54 eruption activity began to subside

13. Ash cloud observed heading West-Southwest and South-East sector

Note: The description of time in GMT

Chronology Chronology is quoted from Mount Merapi Eruption Date October 26, 2010 issued by the Head of Geological Agency, The Center for Volcanology and Geological Hazard Mitigation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

On sky news now, up to 19 have died from the eruption.

The smoke coming from Mount merapi is amazing.

• Advertisement

Jake1 wrote: »
    The smoke coming from Mount merapi is amazing.

What are you watching, Jake? Metro or regular tv or have you found something better?

h good morning. Im just up :) I was watching the web cam last night.

heres the link , but its very hit and miss with it, keeps stalling. Had a good view for a while last night when daylight came over there.

Im trying that link myself now, and cant get on!!!!

http://www.merapi.bgl.esdm.go.id/view-r.php?id=1

Emmm, its okay now :) lots of ash on the camera though.

heres a slideshow of images of the devastation. Some villages look like ghost towns, the are covered in grey ash. Some images are disturbing.

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Indonesia-Mount-Merapi/ss/events/sc/102510mountmerapi#photoViewer=/101027/ids_photos_wl/r2466768811.jpg

pic from that webcam Jake linked to
    132559.jpg

images from yesterday
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/10/photogalleries/101026-indonesia-mount-merapi-volcano-eruption-world-science-pictures-photos/?now=2010-10-26-00:01

an in a rather distasteful development - Twitterers have called on others to stop circulating a dead body photograph of Mount Merapi spirutial guardian Mbah Maridjan for ethical reasons

link to story here
    http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Indonesian+spiritualist+fails+tame+volcano/3733070/story.html

By the way, Krakatoa rumbled on for eight months spewing ash before it finally blew its top. Clip here from a brilliant drama-documentary on the 1880 disaster

Thanks for those, Jake. Jesus, it does look very grim over there. :(

That Merapi webcam is up and down like a whore's knickers. I think half the world is trying to connect to it.

Thanks for those, Jake. Jesus, it does look very grim over there. :(

That Merapi webcam is up and down like a whore's knickers. I think half the world is trying to connect to it.

LOL .

earthquakes continuing in the region and showing signs of increasing in intensity
    132560.jpg

The power and violence of the earth in that region right now is terrifying.

Wonder whats next to come?

According to those who know about these things Merapi can erupt for up to a week so maybe they haven't seen the worst of it yet. I hope not, but Mother Nature can be a complete bitch.

• Advertisement

Latest webcam pic has darkened considerably. Could be rain or more ash fall. I'll try and post pic.

ETA: It could be night there too. I am so bad with time zones.

Advertisement