Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NSR 80 engine wanted

Options
  • 09-10-2010 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

hi! somebody's selling me NSR 80 98 model he said it need a piston and a ring... just wondering, is it easy to find? how about if i change the engine? is the engine easy to find? will it affect the registration or the log book if i replace the engine? how much do you think the engine or the piston and ring will cost? thanks! or maybe if there's any mechanic here who lives in dublin can help me make it run please let me know how much it will cost for everything thanks guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

2 stroke pistons are hard to find second hand, as most end up holed. Changing an engine will make it untouchable for resale, unless you change the logbook to reflect the new engine number.

P.S. The engine is very easy to find... Its under the fuel tank usually :P

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭o0maverick0o

thanks for the reply that was helpfull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

For two-stroke advice I would go to Leo O'Reilly's on Dorset Street in Dublin just at the canal bridge beside the tyre fitters.

Ask them if it's worth the bother of replacing the piston and rings or an engine swap.
    I find they are good to deal with, as they will not take your money off you if it's not worth it. You might be better off spending the cash on a second hand 4-stroke bike.

Also depending on the age of the bike you may not be able to get original Honda parts as they stop stocking them after 10 or 15 years, but there are companies online that could get them for you ... try www.mandp.com (they are based in Wales). They stock non-standard parts that do the same job. Cheap and fast.

Advertisement