Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what does the word "sorry" mean?

• 10-10-2010 12:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

You should say "sorry" when you bump into a person on the street, spit on them by accident or knock a person over in a car.

I don't know why people say sorry if for example, a person dropped their mobile phone, or they dropped a fiver and say sorry, then tell them where their phone/money is.

A simple "Hey" or "Hey You" should suffice, not sorry.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Saying sorry to get someones attention is more polite than 'Hey' or 'Hey You'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

CorkMan wrote: »
    You should say "sorry" when you bump into a person on the street, spit on them by accident or knock a person over in a car.
    people really do this ? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

It's a uniquely Irish thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Sorry is probably over used, has no real meaning any more as you can use it in so many different ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I don't know why people say sorry if for example, a person dropped their mobile phone, or they dropped a fiver and say sorry, then tell them where their phone/money is.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=sorry&searchmode=none

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

It's not used enough, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

It is a characteristic of Hiberno-English that 'sorry' is used in Ireland where 'excuse me' would be used in England. I've often heard an English person ask an Irish person what they were apologising for in such cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Or YOY BOY in "the real capital"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I prefer "Here, f*ck-face!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

When people say "sorry" in this circumstance, it is just short for "sorry for bothering you". It's just another way of saying "excuse me".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Yeah I overuse it, use it for most everything. Exact same as "Excuse me"

I don't even smoke but people ask me for cigarettes and I say sorry to them.
    I'm not sure what I'm apologizing for

Sorry means never doing it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Sorry in that context means sorry for disturbing you. Much the same as what excuse me means.

The only time it's used and it pisses me off is when it is followed by an insult.

'Sorry buh yer a minger'

Sorry for what, exactly? Being a cnt for no reason. Oh I suppose you are just 'telling it like it is' are you. Well, sorry, no one fking asked you, you thundering cockspurt.

Yeah I overuse it, use it for most everything. Exact same as "Excuse me"

You're being polite ,your saying sorry for their assumption ( common among smokers ) that you smoke .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

I said "sorry" to someone yesterday after they stepped on my foot on the bus, I'm just so used to using that word.

Sorry's just a word you find so easy to say, so you say it anyway.. Ahem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Sorry = I'll make sure not to get caught the next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

This post is conveying a pun linking the word sorry in the original post with the song sorry seems to be the hardest word, written by Elton Glasses the famous musician.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭sunshineoh9

sorry does get overused a lot but in more than just the "excuse me" kind of way... its also super overused when people make relationship mistakes...

eg: kid forgets to call their parents a million and one times and sorry is used everytime but they keep forgetting
    or
    husband cheats, says sorry and continues to cheat

if you don't mean it, don't say it!

sorry does get overused a lot but in more than just the "excuse me" kind of way... its also super overused when people make relationship mistakes...

eg: kid forgets to call their parents a million and one times and sorry is used everytime but they keep forgetting
    or
    husband cheats, says sorry and continues to cheat

if you don't mean it, don't say it!

Did you just use the word super as an alternative to completely, very much or totally?

Did you just use the word super as an alternative to completely, very much or totally?
    i was not aware this was in fact a crime....

• Advertisement

i was not aware this was in fact a crime....

Talking like Barney is a bookable offence. Your nicked sunshine.

Talking like Barney is a bookable offence. Your nicked sunshine.
    the word super doen't mean i'm speaking like barney, in fact i try to limit my vocabulary on forums because some people would get annoyed if i spoke unabridged. i pride myself on not acting like a self-aggrandizing smart a$$... as i prefer to be spoken to based on what i've said and not the vocabulary that i use.

however, i am "sorry" if my eloquence is not to your liking... next time please just refrain from making a retort if my wording offends you. it will be "super" appreciated :)

SUPER :D

You must be insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

it's not barney, it's big gay al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

ill do it again.

if you love someone you dont have to say sorry.

:cool:

You must be insane.
    perhaps, have you ever been to florida? i assure you its nothing like they portray in movies... i have been to ireland and think its one of the greatest places on earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

perhaps, have you ever been to florida? i assure you its nothing like they portray in movies... i have been to ireland and think its one of the greatest places on earth.

Have you been to Limerick? It's nothing like the movies, no wind shaking the barley at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Sorry is closer to "excuse me" than anything else.

It's also one of the most overused words in Canada.

This post is conveying a pun linking the word sorry in the original post with the song sorry seems to be the hardest word, written by Elton Glasses the famous musician.

A good Elton song and bet he was sorry when it never became a hit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Shorry
    Is all that you can't shay
    Yhears gone by and sthill
    Words don't come eashily
    Like Shorry
    Like Shorry.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Sorry....sorry....sorry.... It's all you hear when out and about in Ireland.

And if you dare to say Excuse Me, to get attention in a shop for example, you get looked at like you have more than one head.

I know it's a shortening of 'sorry to bother you' or whatever but it sounds ridiculous.

Sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I do this, it is more a "sorry that I cannot be of help you", like if I was asked the time and had no watch I would say it too.

I also say it so it appears less confrontational, on a few occassions I had scumbags try and start something when I said I have no smokes, I remember scumbags used to actually even say "fair search", if you said you had no cigarettes -meaning they actually expected you to let them frisk you to check you really had none. To try and stop this I would say "no, I don't smoke", but then this causes them to start on you too "eeewwwh you don't smoke, think you're better than me you kunt?!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭cgordonfreeman

Sorry, this thread is crap.

Or

Excuse me, this thread is crap.

See?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

What the hell ever happened to "Hello" or "Excuse/Pardon me!"
    There's more important things to stress about anyway!

rubadub wrote: »
    I do this, it is more a "sorry that I cannot be of help you", like if I was asked the time and had no watch I would say it too.

I also say it so it appears less confrontational, on a few occassions I had scumbags try and start something when I said I have no smokes, I remember scumbags used to actually even say "fair search", if you said you had no cigarettes -meaning they actually expected you to let them frisk you to check you really had none.
    Which would not only be humiliating for the person concerned but also an invasion of ones own body / personell space

To try and stop this I would say "no, I don't smoke", but then this causes them to start on you too "eeewwwh you don't smoke, think you're better than me you kunt?!"
    Seems to be as much about intimidation than actually getting a cigarette from you

• Advertisement

It's short for either

"sorry for *insert fault action*"

"sorry to bother you, but....*insert something you want to point out*"

Sinfonia wrote: »
    Have you been to Limerick? It's nothing like the movies, no wind shaking the barley at all
    as a matter of fact i have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Sorry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Sorry means never doing it again.

So, literally, when you say sorry (as in "sorry for bothering you") you're basically saying: i'll never bother you again after this particular query. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

KungPao wrote: »
    Sorry....sorry....sorry.... It's all you hear when out and about in Ireland.

And if you dare to say Excuse Me, to get attention in a shop for example, you get looked at like you have more than one head.

:D
    Kinda true.
    Essentially innocuous and perfectly acceptable but as you say potentially misinterpreted.
    I'm forever conscious of editing potentially emotive stuff like that out of my phrasing to avoid it being taken up wrongly.
    Don't need the hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Sorry means never having to say you're love.

Oh no... wait.
    Damn you - I had it ready, it would have been delicious! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Advertisement