Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moral law = Moral law giver

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I take it you are referring to Mere Christianity by C.S Lewis and not the Bible. If so, then what part(s) in particular did you find terrible? Spark up a new thread and we'll discuss it/them if you like. To say that in the Christianity forum it is thought of as heretical for someone to have such an opinion about a book is just a stupid sounding over generalization. There may be people who might feel that way about similar opinion's that others may have about the Bible, but not books, especially not modern books, which were written by Christians. But I'd really like to know what parts of Mere Christianity you thought were terrible and why. You can't just say that a book is terrible and leave it that. Your critique must be specified and elaborated on, so I'm all ears if you want to open a new thread. If your not interested in opening a thread about it then I suggest you don't bother to give us your opinion on the book at all. Imagine me going into the A&A forum and stating that the The God Delusion by Professor Richard Dawkins is a terrible book and just leaving it at that? I'd be asked to explain why I thought so.

You say that as if we have never discussed these things before. I base my "heretics" joke on the experiences discussing Lewis' arguments on this forum, specifically the fact that the counter arguments where met with ridicule and dismissal rather than actual examination.

You know exactly why I think Mere Christianity is terrible (argument from morality, ignorance of evolutionary biology, which was understandable at the time, less so now for those who still cling to Lewis' arguments, arbitrary dismissal of non-Chrisitan religions and gods as equally valid explanations etc)

You have shown very little interests in these counter arguments before, so excuse me if I'm skeptical that you genuinely are interested now.

If you are then feel free to start a thread on it and I'll happily explain the terribleness of Lewis' arguments. But I get enough aggro around here as it is without starting a thread just to attack St. Lewis so I will leave that up to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

Wicknight wrote: »
    You say that as if we have never discussed these things before. I base my "heretics" joke on the experiences discussing Lewis' arguments on this forum, specifically the fact that the counter arguments where met with ridicule and dismissal rather than actual examination.

You know exactly why I think Mere Christianity is terrible (argument from morality, ignorance of evolutionary biology, which was understandable at the time, less so now for those who still cling to Lewis' arguments, arbitrary dismissal of non-Chrisitan religions and gods as equally valid explanations etc)

You have shown very little interests in these counter arguments before, so excuse me if I'm skeptical that you genuinely are interested now.

If you are then feel free to start a thread on it and I'll happily explain the terribleness of Lewis' arguments. But I get enough aggro around here as it is without starting a thread just to attack St. Lewis so I will leave that up to you.

I get very little time to come onto Boards.ie. Some weeks are worse than others but I must admit that I've never seen any arguments made against Lewis' Mere Christianity. I don't read all the sub fora unfortunately. I won't start a new thread about it though but I will keep an eye out for any specific arguments about same in future and respond in kind.

Advertisement