Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10pm rule

• 10-10-2010 1:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

To start a lively debate about the 10pm rule
    MrStuffins wrote: »
    How is refusing to take someone's money in return for a good after a specific time robbing people?

The 10pm closing time was made as a deal with Irish vintners association to get people in pubs as the trade was losing business in recent years.

No other reason for it I'm afraid, of course you'll have the anti alcohol lobby who praise it and still call for 'more control' on alcohol licensing, which means what I'm not sure, it's either illegal or its not.

Its a scam to subsidize failing business that hold no real economic value in the end, kinda like car retail, and that got the same work over by clown lips and the gang
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

If you want booze you'l get it and drink it at home.

Closing time restriction or extension does little to limit or curb booze consumption. The opposite to this was tried in Glasgow in a bid to alleviate the scourge of alcoholism. Clubs and pubs were opened until 6 am.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

orourkeda wrote: »
    The opposite to this was tried in Glasgow in a bid to alleviate the scourge of alcoholism.

And did it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

It's a ridiculous rule that is only a hindrence. When I'm planning a proper binge I'll stock up before 10, the only time this rule affects me is when I haven't anything planned and just fancy a few cans or a bottle of wine with dinner but can't because it's after 10.

It's up there with only selling 20 decks of fags as some of the stupidest laws in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Always pour some veg oil into the pan before you ad butter to it to fry a steak. It keeps the butter from burning.

Remember cooking a steak in burning butter makes the meat taste bitter. And that will result in a good thrashing from husbands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

wetling wrote: »
    The 10pm closing time was made as a deal with Irish vintners association to get people in pubs as the trade was losing business in recent years.

No other reason for it I'm afraid.....

Not really true. There was a government quango that investigated alcohol from a health viewpoint and came up with a series of recommendations.

A huge percentage of what they suggested was frankly off the wall and would have caused a riot here - increasing the age to 21, shoving up excise taxes, introducing minimum pricing, not allowing discounts for bulk purchases, banning advertising and sponsorship etc etc etc, and limiting off-license opening hours.

The government realised it couldn't ignore all of their suggestions and ran with the least controversial one, reducing off-license hours. Most self-respecting alcoholics like myself adapted very quickly and learned to buy within these (frankly ample) time periods.

Government for once played it fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Not really true. There was a government quando that investigated alcohol from a health viewpoint and came up with a series of recommendations.

A huge percentage of what they suggested was frankly off the wall and would have caused a riot here - increasing the age to 21, shoving up excise taxes, introducing minimum pricing, not allowing discounts for bulk purchases, banning advertising and sponsorship etc etc etc, and limiting off-license opening hours.

The government realised it couldn't ignore all of their suggestions and ran with the least controversial one, reducing off-license hours. Most self-respecting alcoholics like myself adapted very quickly and learned to buy within these (frankly ample) time periods.

Government for once played it fine.

Tell me when will you be mine
    Tell me quando quando quando
    We can share a love divine
    Please don't make me wait again...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

wetling wrote: »
    These seems to have backfired from what I see my mates doing -we might be in the pub early enough, then it comes to about 9pm and there is talk of heading home or staying, i.e. people are saying "damn, that 10pm crap is coming up, are we getting cans and splitting home or staying here till the end". If the offy was open later we would have stayed later, maybe not ended up going to the offy at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I always liked that cafe bar idea.
    Michael McDowell pushed it hard

"A beer with your pizza and not a pizza with your beer"
    It's quite a clever saying if you think about. But then barristers are good at speaking

However FF and the VFI scuppered. Maybe in a few years we'll look at it again

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭cgordonfreeman

I find this 10pm craic tends to make me drink more. I might buy a few extra cans 'just in case' and then because I have extra cans, I won't bother with the pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Did you purposefully wait 'til today to make a thread about the 10pm rule :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Joe_Dull wrote: »
    And did it?

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Joe_Dull wrote: »
    And did it?

Probably not. But I find it that you slow your consumption of alcohol. And drink for longer. No more knocking back pints, shots before the club. Better in my opinion.
    Only problem is when I have a big night after work, walking home pissed drunk on a sunday morning/lunch after drinking for hours isn't fun. Get some weird looks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Rabies wrote: »
    Get some weird looks :)
    That look is called jealously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Waking up in the evening with a hangover isn't fun. Got to suffer it for the night... and late night tv here sucks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its real awkward for me as often I wont head out till around 10.30 and thus rather than doing what I used to and going to the offo en route I now have to make a specific trip, usually right after dinner which on the bike just leads to a nasty stitch. Doesnt stop me buying more/less though. Its another pacification law with no real basis, just like the crack down on licensed handguns even though they wont release stats on how many licensed handguns have been used in crime(I suspect a figure close to 0) or how many the Gards and the army have misplaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

You should always have some stash of alcohol in your gaff for unknown cravings. Be it beer, wine, spirits whatever. If you mainly drink beer you should have a couple of bottles of wine and vice versa. This makes you think you havnt got any booze in the house so you will stock up kinda thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

If they really had people's health in mind, all pubs would have had to be closed by 10pm. Hence a scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Always pour some veg oil into the pan before you ad butter to it to fry a steak. It keeps the butter from burning.

Remember cooking a steak in burning butter makes the meat taste bitter. And that will result in a good thrashing from husbands.

Bah. Also use ground nut oil, it has a higher smoke point and won't burn at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Confab wrote: »
    Bah. Also use ground nut oil, it has a higher smoke point and won't burn at all.

Wrong thread, me thinks:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

mmcn90 wrote: »
    Wrong thread, me thinks:D
    Whoooooshhhhhhh!

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Confab wrote: »

Get yourself down to your local health food store and get yoruself some Coconut oil. fupping great for frying things in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

This thread is completely going over my head :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

My brother has the keys to his offo lying about the house so the 10pm rule doesnt really affect me...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

What with plastic bag tax, restrictions on buying alcohol etc... we are a pushover for any nutty law the government want to pass.

They should all be kicked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

doolox wrote: »
    What with plastic bag tax, restrictions on buying alcohol etc... we are a pushover for any nutty law the government want to pass.

They should all be kicked out.
    We're a complete pushover. No smoking in pubs, only 20 boxes of cigarettes, restrictions on buying alcohol, blasphemy laws, cuts in social welfare. They're trying to stop me spending my dole money on booze and cigarettes while roaring obscenities. Will someone think of the children.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Have frig, will drink!

Advertisement